• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Missoula Sentinel Clobbers CMR 49-28

PlayerRep

Sentinel came from behind (down 3 TD's until seconds to go in first half).

Congrats to former Griz receiver Dane Oliver and the Sentinel squad.

Was at the game watching my brother play. Came back from 21-0 with 42 (I think) unanswered points. The two giant RBs ran over their team repeatedly

Was there too...Spartans are back. Us CMR folks were silenced. CMR gets to start over with Glacier,Butte,and Capital. Horrible evening, 'cause all my boys played for CMR, and I was a Spartan. I dare say, though, that after so many years that the Spartans have just plain sucked, I left the stadium with a little hidden pride for the purple & gold.

Hellgate only had 62 kids come out for football. I would bet most AA schools in the state get over 100.
What has happened to football in Missoula??? Is it competition from other sports like soccer?
Or is it just the culture in Missoula?

Grizzly4Life said:
Hellgate only had 62 kids come out for football. I would bet most AA schools in the state get over 100.
What has happened to football in Missoula??? Is it competition from other sports like soccer?

Winning breeds winning. Hellgate doesn't win.

grizfan95 said:
Grizzly4Life said:

Winning breeds winning. Hellgate doesn't win.

If that was the case Sentinel would be in the same boat. The last time they played for a state title was over 25 years ago.

Grizzly4Life said:

There are probably many reasons for the week AA football in Missoula. Too many schools and not enough kids at each school. Other things to do in Missoula. Soccer and golf. Lack of a winning tradition. Lack of development prior to high school. Note that Loyola won the State B state championship last year.

At Sentinel, there were about 7 soccer seniors last year who were very good athletes who could have played football, but they moved to soccer after playing football in earlier years, including some for a year or so of high school football. Sentinel soccer improved greatly during the season last year, in part because they and other younger crossover athletes continued to improve significantly during the season. This year, there are still some, but not as many, who could play football. The best soccer player is a great athlete, and his dad played college football and one year with the Seahawks. The goalie is big and a good track kid, very fast. Switched from football early in his sophomore year. Another kid is 6'1", 180, fast and a good athlete, and switched from football after his frosh year. His dad also played college football, I think. There's at least one tall frosh who could play football, and considered it. One of more of his parents played college sports. The other Missoula AA schools probably don't have as many potential football players playing soccer.

Someone from GF said that was the first time Sentinel beat CMR since around 1976. It was a convincing beatdown too.

mtgrizrule said:
Kokanee said:
grizcountry420 said:
Its gonna be a long season for Hellgate

Always is

They are already ready for basketball season. The Weber State of Missoula High School sports.

You guys are Tards, Hellgate owned this town in Football in the early 90's Four straight citys and Two state title games. Not to metion a few Griz Greats.

Also, IRRC The 91 Title game Between Butte and Hellgate was the only time in state history that 2 Montana Teams in the USA today High school poll squared off for a title. Back to topic I'm just glad to see a missoula school that might have a shot at the playoffs. Missoula has been the redheaded step-child for a while now. :eek:

Hellgate pretty much Irrelevant for almost 20 years now but yeah, those early 90's teams were legit. Played against them in 94 and 95.

Redonkuless1 said:
Also, IRRC The 91 Title game Between Butte and Hellgate was the only time in state history that 2 Montana Teams in the USA today High school poll squared off for a title. Back to topic I'm just glad to see a missoula school that might have a shot at the playoffs. Missoula has been the redheaded step-child for a while now. :eek:

That convincing '91 Butte title team sent some nice players to the Griz, QB/WR Josh Paffhausen, DE's Randy Riley and Brian Toone (parts of Griz '95 National Title Team).

I gotta admit, when I saw the final score of the Sentinel vs CMR game on the news that night I thought the newscast must of had the scores transposed wrong. Cool for Sentinel that they won. Really cool that they scored so many points, that must have been fun to watch.

I remember watching current Griz safety Steven Rominger play once for Sentinel, he was quite the running QB.

Latest posts

Back