• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Memory Lane .. Montana and Wyo in the Mountain states confer

The Montana/Wyoming games were held in Billings, my first exposure to college football. Bob Devaney was the HC at Wyoming until he left for Nebraska in '62; the poor Montana program was overmatched, to this day having zero wins against Wyoming.

The label "Skyline Conference" was much more commonly used than was "Mountain States Conference."

If you look at the success of the programs from that conference now, only 2 did not make it to FBS (Montana, and Denver who dropped football) and all but one of those teams were in the MWC (Colorado).

Of course New Mexico has been so god awful i'm not sure they really count.

Cujo said:
If you look at the success of the programs from that conference now, only 2 did not make it to FBS (Montana, and Denver who dropped football) and all but one of those teams were in the MWC (Colorado).

In their second to last year in the Skyline, Terry Dillon led the Griz to a 40-8 beatdown of New Mexico in '61. The same year; the Griz lost games to BYU, Idaho and MSU by a total of 4 points.

MrTitleist said:
That's a pretty legit conference..

Two members of the NFL Hall of Fame-

Larry Wilson Utah
Merlin Olsen Utah State

Marv Levy was a coach at Wyo but maybe after Skyline dissolved.

CV Griz Fan said:
MrTitleist said:
That's a pretty legit conference..

Two members of the NFL Hall of Fame-

Larry Wilson Utah
Merlin Olsen Utah State

Marv Levy was a coach at Wyo but maybe after Skyline dissolved.
Actually Levy coached at New Mexico. My bad.

Cujo said:
The Skyline WAS the equivilent of FBS (University Division - Major College). After a year as an independent in '62, Montana moved down to College Division (Small College) with the BSC in '63. While Idaho also moved to the BSC in '63, they maintained their University Division (DI) classification.

kemajic said:
Cujo said:

In their second to last year in the Skyline, Terry Dillon led the Griz to a 40-8 beatdown of New Mexico in '61. The same year; the Griz lost games to BYU, Idaho and MSU by a total of 4 points.

In 1961 New Mexico was a power when the Griz upset them. New Mex was led by what great running back who
later shined for the Dallas Cowboys?????

So Montana basically moved from what is now the Pac-12 to what is now the MWC to what is the Big Sky. I can see now why so many believe we will be in the Frontier within 50 years.

ordigger said:
So Montana basically moved from what is now the Pac-12 to what is now the MWC to what is the Big Sky. I can see now why so many believe we will be in the Frontier within 50 years.

No kidding!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

grizophile said:
kemajic said:
Cujo said:

In 1961 New Mexico was a power when the Griz upset them. New Mex was led by what great running back who

Don Perkins FB

ordigger said:
grizophile said:
kemajic said:
Cujo said:

Don Perkins FB
Nice trivia, but Perkins's last year at UNM was 1959; he was drafted by Dallas in the 1960 draft.

New Mexico was 7-4 in '61; they won the first three WAC championships in '62, '63 and '64 before falling on hard times.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
grizophile said:
kemajic said:

Don Perkins FB
Nice trivia, but Perkins's last year at UNM was 1959; he was drafted by Dallas in the 1960 draft.

New Mexico was 7-4 in '61; they won the first three WAC championships in '62, '63 and '64 before falling on hard times.
...for the next 48 years.

Ursa Major said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
grizophile said:

Don Perkins FB

...for the next 48 years.
Pretty much, but you're being a little tough on them; they had some decent seasons:
'70 7-3
'71 6-3-2
'75 6-5
'78 7-5
'82 10-1
'93 6-5
'96 6-5
'97 9-4
'01 6-5
'03 8-5
'04 7-5
'05 6-5
'07 9-4

Ordigger....with our current leadership, we may be in the Frontier within a couple of years.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
grizophile said:
kemajic said:

Don Perkins FB

True, but Perkins is the name he was looking for. I assume its because his first season he played with the Cowboys was 1961. There was no player on the 61 UNM team that played in the AFL or NFL. Not until 1967 did another play in the NFL (OL Dave Hettema). And Perkins was actually drafted by the Colts, not the Cowboys (9th round).

ordigger said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
grizophile said:

Don Perkins FB

True, but Perkins is the name he was looking for. I assume its because his first season he played with the Cowboys was 1961. There was no player on the 61 UNM team that played in the AFL or NFL. Not until 1967 did another play in the NFL (OL Dave Hettema). And Perkins was actually drafted by the Colts, not the Cowboys (9th round).
"The Dallas Cowboys franchise was admitted to the league too late to participate in the 1960 NFL Draft, so they signed Perkins to a personal-services contract for a $1,500 bonus and a $10,000 salary. This meant he would play for the Cowboys if and when they received an NFL franchise. Although he was drafted in the 9th round of the 1960 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Colts, the league honored the contract, but made the Cowboys compensate the Colts with a 9th round draft pick in the 1962 NFL Draft.

Perkins sat out the entire 1960 season with a broken foot (fifth metatarsal) he suffered in training camp, so he began playing with the Cowboys in 1961, earning NFL rookie of the year honors."

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
grizophile said:
kemajic said:

Don Perkins FB

How soon we forget. How about the QB Bobby Santiago to get my credibility back.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
Don Perkins FB

"The Dallas Cowboys franchise was admitted to the league too late to participate in the 1960 NFL Draft, so they signed Perkins to a personal-services contract for a $1,500 bonus and a $10,000 salary. This meant he would play for the Cowboys if and when they received an NFL franchise. Although he was drafted in the 9th round of the 1960 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Colts, the league honored the contract, but made the Cowboys compensate the Colts with a 9th round draft pick in the 1962 NFL Draft.

Perkins sat out the entire 1960 season with a broken foot (fifth metatarsal) he suffered in training camp, so he began playing with the Cowboys in 1961, earning NFL rookie of the year honors."

Why post? It is exactly what I said. You might of included the link from Wiki too.

Back