• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Maybe things aren't so sunny at MSU after all

curiousobserver

There's a similar thread in the 'football' forum. Not sure why it's there instead of here but I'm going to start this one on this forum because it focuses on a MSU problem as well as the UM problems. Yes, MSU has a big problem of its own.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/article_4337ae30-20bf-11e3-b087-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Growth gives MSU sunny outlook, while UM struggles”
By Gail Schontzler
Bozeman Daily Chronicle
9/18/2013

Two things:
First, I would like to be hired for that $700,000 recruiting consultant position at UM. I can solve the problem in about ten seconds and earn every penny of that $700,000 in doing so. Royce – call me!

Second, MSU has a significant and growing problem that is now coming to light. Their research budget has taken a hit since the former highly successful research director left MSU to join his old buddy out of state. He was largely responsible for the success MSU has had in bringing in research dollars for many years and now that he is gone, they are already $3.5 million in the hole. 'The Star' seems to have magically found $2 million lying around to temporarily resolve the issue but they are still $1.5 million short. And they have decided it’s time to find long term solutions. Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.

It will get worse. There is considerable heartburn on campus over the issue –the so-called “serenity” on campus is temporary. As this issue continues to grow, look for 'The Star’ (in the eyes of many, including many on this board) to move on to greener pastures. She doesn’t want to be the one to take the fall for this problem so she will get out before it gets much worse. (One problem is that it appears MSU has used some short term revenue sources [research grant money] to service some long-term bricks and mortar debt, according to local reporting. If that is the case, this issue is going to be tough to turn around in the face of declining research dollars. MSU has to hope its enrollment continues to climb, especially those out-of-staters who pay the big tuition dollars. Otherwise, where’s the money going to come from?) :?:

Stay tuned!

Back