• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Marshall did it right.

ronbo

Marshall did it exactly right. The way I would want Montana to approach 1A if we ever do it. Also the way Boise State has done it.

They played a fairly easy schedule the first few years as they built the strength of their program. They put up great numbers and good records. This kept folks in the stands and helped recruiting. Kids want to play for a winning program.

Now they are on a level where they can go into a Tennesee and compete. Now they are playing the Kansas States.

They did it right. The way I would want us to do it. The worst thing they could have done for that program was schedule a bunch of top 25 teams their first few years. That might have put the program into a downward spiral like Idaho and a bunch of others have experienced.

I hope we learn from the Marshalls and Boise States how to do it right if we ever take the step.

After reading this article, if this is what it takes to compete in I-A, I hope we never make the change. Unless there is some genius in Missoula who makes billions we would never compete.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2001720061_blai09.html

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't mind staying 1AA. It's good to know your place. As the Marshall poster said we are a small time program. That's not smack, it's the truth.

We are small time and we always will be. But we are smarter than a lot of schools out there. We are small time and we like it that way. But some Griz fans think we are bigger time than we are and that makes us look ridiculous to the big programs when we go and critsize what they are doing.

Get over it, Boise and Marshall have gone to the next level and will be BCS in a few years and we got left behind. We are not in their league any longer so don't go to their boards, we don't belong there. It's like a Junior High School criticizing a High School.

I would like to add this. I was watching "Nightline" last night and the subject was the struggling 1A programs fight with the BCS. The San Jose State President stated they would NEVER drop down to 1AA. Why? Because 1A is respectability, no matter how bad you are. 1AA is no respect no matter how good you are. He said they will find a way to stay 1A and dropping football altogether is better than dropping down.

Why do we lose coaches to bottom feeder loser 1A's? It's a step up. It's more respectable. I heard Glenn said "he's made it to the big time."

Think about how you feel about Div. II schools football. Well it's worse than that when a 1A fan thinks of us.

Here is another analogy. Take the top winningest AAA team in professional baseball. Ask each one of the players if they would like to be traded to the Detroit Tigers. A team on track to be the worse team in Major League history. Each and every player would choose to play on Historys worse team than stay AAA. It's the "Bigs" baby, it's the "Bigs".

You are respected for challenging the best. Even if you are the worst of the best.

Who cares what a 1-A fan thinks of us. Most of us don't "look down" on div. II and in fact most Montanans look with pride at the naia Saints. Most of us follow the playoffs in the lower divisions and are happy when the Montana directonal schools are successfull. We Montanans have always prided ourselves for being independant, free, and above the bs other states have to wallow in. We have never cared before what other states think so we won't now. Come Saturday most on this board plus thousands more will converge on Washington-Griz and a good time will be had by all. Hopefully we win but if we don't, it's still the geatest show in Montana...GO GRIZ... :lol: : :lol: :lol:

My whole point here is KEEP YOUR BUTTS off the 1A boards. We are a stinky 1AA small time program and you will get laughed off their board and piss them off.

And quit critisizing 1A programs that have bad records. At least they have the guts and grit to play at the top level. They have my kudos for that.

Stay in the small pond where you belong.

ronbo, Marshall was found to have had all sorts of inelligible players and many other NCAA violations during there move up...including 1996.
If you consider cheating doing it right then yeah.
I don't think you do though. I agree with the part about playing lesser 1-a teams if we ever do go 1-a. its the only way we'd compete. Also, we'd need in a conference that has a guarunteed bowl game so we could at least get a share of the $$$.

for now, i think the Griz will wait until div 1 FB reorganizes itself...as I and TrueGriz(to name a few) have stated numerous times.

GrizMania said:
ronbo, Marshall was found to have had all sorts of inelligible players and many other NCAA violations during there move up...including 1996.
I don't think you do though. I agree with the part about playing lesser 1-a teams if we ever do go 1-a. its the only way we'd compete. Also, we'd need in a conference that has a guarunteed bowl game so we could at least get a share of the $$$.

for now, i think the Griz will wait until div 1 FB reorganizes itself...as I and TrueGriz(to name a few) have stated numerous times.

Again, GrizMania..I ask you to site your sourses. You can't because there are none. Please... i'm begging you.. site one sourse that mentions Marshall committing ncaa violations in 1996. This is the second time i have asked for ANY referance to these alleged violations and you just keep posting this crap without any proof. This sounds like a Montana rumor that is so widespread that nobody bothers to check to see if it's true.

Please site your sourses

No that isn't what I meant about their move up. It was that they kept their schedule relatively easy for the first few years while they built the strength of the program.

Something the 1AA fans have critisized them for. Well it has worked out and they are looking pretty strong now.

HerdOn67 said:
GrizMania said:

Again, GrizMania..I ask you to site your sourses. You can't because there are none. Please... i'm begging you.. site one sourse that mentions Marshall committing ncaa violations in 1996. This is the second time i have asked for ANY referance to these alleged violations and you just keep posting this crap without any proof. This sounds like a Montana rumor that is so widespread that nobody bothers to check to see if it's true.

Please site your sourses

Herd:

Check Otto Fad's columns from last year (or the year before, I don't remember). He had a couple of very extensive columns with many details about the alleged violations and NCAA response. I have no idea if they are true or not, but I never saw his allegations refuted or recanted. (Otto Fad was a I-AA columnist with Sportsnetwork.com, and still puts out a I-AA weekly newsletter.)

You should be able to find them at the Sportsnetwork.com site.

Griz fans are not making this up--they got it from one of the only consistently good sources of I-AA information.

Boise State and Marshall are both good I-A teams and both enviable football programs, but neither of them will ever be in the BCS, even if they become perrennially top 25 teams. The BCS wants their membership to remain at a select few, and they won't open the door to any up-and-comers. All fans of I-AA schools who think they have what it takes should realize that. And the only reason UConn is going to the Big East is because they're already members in all other sports. Villanova could probably follow in that pattern, but they've shown they don't want to invest a whole lot in football. If you ever see any program join the BCS that hasn't already, it would be a school like BYU, Utah, or Louisville, who have a lot to offer in terms of competitiveness in the money sports, revenue, and a viable TV market. And they would have to join major conferences. They couldn't just turn any of their conferences into BCS leagues. Bottom line: if anyone thinks they're I-AA football team can join I-A, and truly think you can be counted among the real big-time schools and compete for national championships, you are wrong. I'll I can say to them is welcome to the Sun Belt Conference.

None of us know the future Jimus. But there are some that are convinced the BCS will split from the NCAA and form their own Athletic Conference Affiliation. Like the NAIA is not NCAA.

That way they can easily limit who is a member. They would take some have nots with them. BYU, Colorado State, Boise, and Marshall would have to be considered. Don't count them out yet.

By the way the Sun Belt would be the PREMIER Conference in 1AA for stadiums, team strength, attendance, etc.

What does that say about 1AA????????

Quit being critical of better than us, it sounds like jealousy.

The BCS wouldn't take any schools just because they're almost as good. If they added anyone, they'd be schools that would boost the overall product for the long term. Boise State couldn't do that. Plus, what conference would they join, the Pac-10? Can't, because the Pac-10 has academic standards. BYU and Colorado State could be in the BCS one day, but I wouldn't hang my hat on that. Back to my original point, if a school in I-AA wants to move up and become a major college football power, or even get to the level of Marshall or Boise State, then tough luck.

And the Sun Belt would make just an average playoff league in I-AA. Facilities there are nothing to shout about. You know about the Kibbie Dome. And there is zero prestige in the Sun Belt. They're a combined 1-3 vs. I-AA this year.

Florida Atlantic 20, Middle Tennessee 19
Arkansas State 63, Tennessee-Martin 6
Eastern Washington 8, Idaho 5
Stephen F. Austin 23, Louisiana-Monroe 21

Well you left out the top teams. North Texas would win the 1AA NC, and Utah Sate and New Mexico State would be top 5, no worse than ten. Troy State would be a top ten, no worse than top 15.

That's 3 top ten and 4 top 15 teams. And the National Champ. Anyone stronger than that?

Their stadiums average 25-30,000 capacity except Idaho and the average attendance was N. Texas 29,437, La-Lafayette 24,211, Middle Tenn. St. 23,261, Arkansas St. 20,548, New Mexico State 19,227, La-Monroe 15,056, Idaho 13,556. Couldn't find Utah State but they have a 30,000 seat stadium.

The Big Sky only has one school that cracks 10,000, us.

Looks to me like the Sunbelt would be the PREMIER Conference in 1AA.

I'll go to whichever board I shall so choose. Thank you very much. And I'll post there if it appeals to me to do so. I'll even visit the Marshall board if I should choose to. Not only am I a Griz fan, but a huge Sooner fan as well. And I will post smack ANYWHERE in their defense.

You can go where ever you want DuCharme. It just bugs me that some 1AA people get this little short mans attitude. They gotta go around telling all the bigger guys how tough they are.

And they go and demean the SunBelt all the time like it's some inferior entity. Well compared to the Big Tens and Big 12's, yes. But the Big Sky shouldn't be throwing too many stones. We are really the only school that comes close to being a program that stacks up to any of the SunBelt schools.

Yeah, I don't know why people have to go on every board and flaunt. People already know how the Griz are just from articles and scores, and most of them don't even care.

Latest posts

Back