• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Major Bummer

MissoulaMarinerFan

Well-known member
But not too surprising, giving some of the reports we've heard.

Ward out for the rest of the year via GoGriz.com:

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030613aaa.html

Griz forward Mathias Ward undergoes surgery and will miss the rest of the season
Four-year senior letterman leads Griz in scoring this year & has played in 118 career games

March 6, 2013

Forward Mathias Ward, who was injured on Feb 16 in The University of Montana's 61-54 road win at Idaho State, had surgery this morning (Wednesday, March 6), and will miss the rest of the season.

A 6-7, 228-pound senior from Gig Harbor, Wash.,Ward had started the first 24 games of the season for the Grizzlies. He is the team's leading scorer, averaging 14.8 points a game, which ranks him fifth in the Big Sky Conference. He is also ranked among the conference leaders in free throw percentage (sixth, 81.7%) and field goal percentage (51.0%). He was named the Big Sky's "Player of the Week" twice this season (Nov. 26 and Dec. 24).

"It was a deal where we were thinking about his future and getting that surgery done so that he might have opportunities to play in the future,"said Griz head coach Wayne Tinkle. "It's just too bad it had to happen late in the season in his senior year. We will definitely miss him out on the floor.

"But we've been pleased with the guys who have stepped up in his absence, guys like Mike (Weisner) and Spencer (Coleman), " Tinkle said. "He'll (Ward) be out there in spirit and with us on the bench, trying to help us motivate the guys. He obviously has meant a lot to our team, and he's been instrumental in the amount of games that we've won (the Griz have 89 victories so far from his year of the 2010 season to this season0=) in his four years along with Will (Cherry, UM's senior point guard). He will certainly be missed - that's for sure."

Ward was a starter on Montana's conference champion and NCAA team of a year ago that went 25-7, and UM's third leading scorer (10.9 ppg) that season. He averaged 21.0 points and 7.5 rebounds in UM's wins over Eastern Washington and Weber State in the Big Sky's 2012 post-season tournament, and was named to the all-tournament team.

Ward played in 118 career games (55 starts), and scored 933 career points and grabbed 324 career rebounds. He was a very proficient shooter, with a career field goal percentage of 52.4%, and he shot 79.1% from the line in his career.
Ward and Cherry (who is also dealing with an injury), will both be recognized on "Senior Night," prior to UM's home game against Northern Arizona, this Saturday, March 9.
 
damn, sorry for Mathias, he's worked hard over the years and to have this happen at the season end before tourney time really sucks.
 
A tough ending to a great career. Matty is one great Grizzly, both on the floor and in the classroom. Any guy that is that tough on the floor and that dedicated in the classroom (he'll leave UM with 2 undergraduate degrees and 2 masters degrees) has my ulitimate respect.

Here's to you MW!
 
Major bummer, guys like Mathias are the best parts of college athletics. Great career!
 
Although I hate the idea of losing Matthias Ward for the rest of this season, it sounds as if this was the best alternative for his future. I know a decision like this would not be easy to come to particularly at this stage of his senior season.

Hope all turns out well. Here's wishing Matthias a speedy recovery and the best of luck now and in his future endeavors.
 
Gaeilge1 said:
Although I hate the idea of losing Matthias Ward for the rest of this season, it sounds as if this was the best alternative for his future. I know a decision like this would not be easy to come to particularly at this stage of his senior season.

Hope all turns out well. Here's wishing Matthias a speedy recovery and the best of luck now and in his future endeavors.
You can't even spell the kid's name, that's pathetic that you are pretending like you care.
 
Too bad for Mathias and the team. I am glad you all seen this official now. I heard about this last week, rather than post it, I hinted it (posting is possible he needs surgery or something like this). God forbid someone posting something then getting lynched here. Glad the lynch mob people seen it officially in writing. As a fan, I appreciate the AD releasing this information to the public, rather than making us all wonder.

I wish Mathias the best on and off the court. It will be nice to see him to see him rooting and leading from the sidelines too. His experience is valuable for Andy and Eric still. I am sure they are learning a lot from Mathias.

Sorry his GRIZ career ended like this, but want him know we appreciate his time year, his efforts, blood, sweat, and tears.
 
Wolfman_Jack said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Although I hate the idea of losing Matthias Ward for the rest of this season, it sounds as if this was the best alternative for his future. I know a decision like this would not be easy to come to particularly at this stage of his senior season.

Hope all turns out well. Here's wishing Matthias a speedy recovery and the best of luck now and in his future endeavors.
You can't even spell the kid's name, that's pathetic that you are pretending like you care.
rRjNJ.jpg
 
Wolfman_Jack said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Although I hate the idea of losing Matthias Ward for the rest of this season, it sounds as if this was the best alternative for his future. I know a decision like this would not be easy to come to particularly at this stage of his senior season.

Hope all turns out well. Here's wishing Matthias a speedy recovery and the best of luck now and in his future endeavors.
You can't even spell the kid's name, that's pathetic that you are pretending like you care.

Spoken by he that needs a designated driver in order to ride an escalator.
 
ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
he'll leave UM with 2 undergraduate degrees and 2 masters degrees.

that is RIDICULOUS!

:clap:


Thanks ILTC. It really is. He came to UM with an Associates Degree out of high school through the running start program. Dude's got a noggin on him.
 
EverettGriz said:
ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
he'll leave UM with 2 undergraduate degrees and 2 masters degrees.

that is RIDICULOUS!

:clap:


Thanks ILTC. It really is. He came to UM with an Associates Degree out of high school through the running start program. Dude's got a noggin on him.

It's the beard. :thumb:
 
Good Luck to you Mr. Ward! It was a pleasure watching you do your magic over the past few years. Great work in the classroom as well. All the best in your future! Go Griz! :clap: :thumb:
 
Tha't a real shame and just a tragedy for this incredibly (obviously) talented young man--best of fortunes to you MW and a HUGE thanks for all you havee done for the program and how you represented the Griz and UM. :clap: :thumb:
 
Thank you for your contributions to Griz basketball, good luck on the surgery and recovery, and best wishes towards a successful future Mr. Ward !! :thumb: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ward played in 118 career games (55 starts), and scored 933 career points and grabbed 324 career rebounds. He was a very proficient shooter, with a career field goal percentage of 52.4%, and he shot 79.1% from the line in his career.
 
pussy decision in my opinion. this is the time of year when the real soljas play thru da pain step up.

i luv the griz but some of these dudes need to have more consideration of what the fans want cuz WE r the reason they be playin the game at all
 
Back
Top