• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Letter to the editor on dueling PW petitions

NorthEndZoneDan

DONOR
This morning's daily rag included an excellent letter to the editor from BW. Its an excellent argument and should provoke some serious discussion. I was going to post a link here but I see that they are not posting the letter online. Hmmm, I wonder if BW has struck a sensitive spot from someone down there? Good job Brent. :thumb:

Well written letter by Brint. He is gonna piss off Mrs. Williams if he isn't careful.

It should be this letter (below). And thanks for the comments guys, this will also run in the Helena IR hopefully this week still. And I can't take total credit here, this is a group effort that Chris Coyle, myself, and a few others have been working on.

Politics or Principle?

The recent Missoulian article about the two petitions regarding the confirmation of Pat Williams to the Montana Board of Regents appears to color this discussion in a way that is both inaccurate and detrimental.

The original petition opposing the confirmation of Mr. Williams, was initiated weeks ago was in direct response to the highly public and divisive statements made by Mr. Williams singling out a group of student athletes and university staff. The Missoulian article states several times that the original petition opposing the confirmation of Williams, is being backed by Grizzly football fans, which is misleading. It is being signed by parents, supporters, democrats, republicans, independents, Bobcats, Griz, young and old. Our focus is simply on accountability for those appointed for public service. This is about the style and substance of those selected to represent the state university system. This is a petition for principle.

The “campaign-style” communication of the petition supporting the confirmation of Mr. Williams appears to be using political mailing lists, and it clearly contains a partisan edge. Their campaign style solicitation makes insinuations about the first petition that are false. Expecting high standards of conduct for those who seek appointment to high positions of leadership, asking that the laws and policies applicable to the conduct of such leaders are followed and urging the Governor and Senate to stand up for the people they represent, is not personally attacking Mr. Williams, nor does it suggest anything about campus safety. That kind of innuendo is pure politics.

This is NOT a popularity contest or an election. This is about an appointment. This appointment is about who is to be represented, not about who has political sway or campaign-funded popularity. Appointments to the Montana Board of Regents should be about principle, not politics.

Heard his confirmation hearing is the 20th and the Repubs may give him a pass to save ammo for other fights. That would be a shame.

GrizPony said:
Heard his confirmation hearing is the 20th and the Repubs may give him a pass to save ammo for other fights. That would be a shame.

Opposite from what I'm hearing. Let's just say, if you will, a Coup d'état movement is in place. PW is feeling warm and fuzzy, but the knife from behind is being unsheathed. :)

BWahlberg said:
It should be this letter (below). And thanks for the comments guys, this will also run in the Helena IR hopefully this week still. And I can't take total credit here, this is a group effort that Chris Coyle, myself, and a few others have been working on.

Politics or Principle?

The recent Missoulian article about the two petitions regarding the confirmation of Pat Williams to the Montana Board of Regents appears to color this discussion in a way that is both inaccurate and detrimental.

The original petition opposing the confirmation of Mr. Williams, was initiated weeks ago was in direct response to the highly public and divisive statements made by Mr. Williams singling out a group of student athletes and university staff. The Missoulian article states several times that the original petition opposing the confirmation of Williams, is being backed by Grizzly football fans, which is misleading. It is being signed by parents, supporters, democrats, republicans, independents, Bobcats, Griz, young and old. Our focus is simply on accountability for those appointed for public service. This is about the style and substance of those selected to represent the state university system. This is a petition for principle.

The “campaign-style” communication of the petition supporting the confirmation of Mr. Williams appears to be using political mailing lists, and it clearly contains a partisan edge. Their campaign style solicitation makes insinuations about the first petition that are false. Expecting high standards of conduct for those who seek appointment to high positions of leadership, asking that the laws and policies applicable to the conduct of such leaders are followed and urging the Governor and Senate to stand up for the people they represent, is not personally attacking Mr. Williams, nor does it suggest anything about campus safety. That kind of innuendo is pure politics.

This is NOT a popularity contest or an election. This is about an appointment. This appointment is about who is to be represented, not about who has political sway or campaign-funded popularity. Appointments to the Montana Board of Regents should be about principle, not politics.

Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, super good job Brint. We signed the Pet. and sent it on to many of our friends that feel the same way about Fat Williams (the political hack) as he has been free loading off the govt. for many moons. That I can live with but this power trip he is on with his feminist wife is way over the top. Hurting the very University system he wants to be in charge of is much to strong in the wrong direction. Losing enrollement because of his bashing the University, using statements that are not true and going out of his way to do this is bad to the bone. Yes right before Jordy enters the court for a trial?

Williams might be a good political hack and I don't give a s--t about his bashing republicans but his bashing these young kids the way he did is reason enough to keep him off the board of regents!

Again good job Brint. Thanks!

Awesome...very direct and to the point. Sad that everything these has to have a political slant or a lobbyist involved. Our democracy will not survive very much longer....maybe 100 years.

ordigger said:
Awesome...very direct and to the point. Sad that everything these has to have a political slant or a lobbyist involved. Our democracy will not survive very much longer....maybe 100 years.

Neither will our Republic. ;)

Nicely done Brint and crew! Thank you all for keeping this issue alive. I believe that's what it will take to let the BOR and Its Pat that this is a serious matter.

Oh one suggestion I say Brint W should be on the BOR!!

I think the Missoulian's agenda is unclear as an entity but very obvious when it boils down to the "reporters" who believe it is their right and duty to muddy the waters with opinion, lack of perspective, and ideology. I look at the Missoulian as a paper wandering with no direction. Who actually oversees the operations and edits the Florios of the world? Who lets that incoherent and offensive #UMRape hashtag represent the entire organization so poorly?

But good work, BWhalberg. You are well regarded in all circles in Montana, Cat and Griz alike.

Ms. Inmon is now speaking on Pat Williams' behalf? She doesn't probably even know him. :roll:

I'm sorry Aylinn, an elected official can't say what Pat Williams said, and not face the repercussions. Robin Pflugrad wishes he could take back what he said, and soon Pat Williams will be wishing the same.

From the Missoulian:
Be thankful for officials who speak their mind
Print Email
March 01, 2013 8:00 am • Guest column by AYLINN INMON
(7) Comments

I was yet to be born when Pat Williams was first elected to Congress and I was 5 years old when he retired to come home to the University of Montana and join the faculty. I am grateful to Williams for dedicating so many years to making UM better before I had even enrolled. And now, students here are the beneficiaries of Williams’ lifetime of experience, used every day to make UM an even better place as a member of the Board of Regents.

Williams has spent his career fighting for a better education system in Montana. He has spent his career standing up for Montana students – it’s one of the qualities I most admire in Williams. When our most vulnerable need a voice, Williams has been there.

Williams believes our communities, especially students, are made stronger and safer by talking about and solving problems – not shying away from them or sweeping them under the rug. As a former University of Montana student, faculty member and the parent of three University of Montana graduates, Williams has made every decision by asking what outcome will make the University of Montana a better place for students to grow and learn.

Because of this, I initiated a petition in support of Williams’ confirmation to the Montana Board of Regents. Overnight, my petition supporting Williams amassed more signatures than one opposing him managed to get in more than two weeks. After years of giving his service to our state and our students, Montanans are standing up in support of Williams.

By any objective measure, Williams is enormously qualified to serve on the Board of Regents. Williams chaired the Committee on Postsecondary Education in the U.S. Congress, served as a trustee or director on countless national boards and has irreplaceable experience to offer the regents and the university system as they chart a course forward for all Montana students.

Williams’ critics have built their entire case around 16 words in a three-week-old story in the New York Times in which Williams was answering questions specifically about people accused of rape, murder, assaulting a police officer and sexual assault. Williams wasn’t talking about the athletic department, or even the entire football team. Instead, he was speaking about a few wrongheaded players who have caused two years’ worth of scandal and who have affected the entire football team, the university and Missoula.

Purposefully misinterpreting his comments is counterproductive to the critical process of healing our community’s deep wounds.

Williams believes, and I agree, that the university has begun making genuine reforms in repairing the community of Missoula, the University of Montana and its athletic department. As that difficult process continues it will, as it already has, cause pain and difficulty in the short-term; but eventually our institution, our athletes and our students will be the primary beneficiaries.

We should be thankful, as Montanans, for public officials – both elected and appointed – who will speak their mind, even when we might not all agree.

We should be thankful for leadership who will speak out against rape. Who will speak out against violence against women. Who will speak out against sexual assault. Who will speak out against assaulting police officers.

My mother raised me to fight for social justice and to not be afraid to raise my voice against injustices in my community – despite how unpopular it might be to do so. I have fought against domestic violence and sexual assault since I was a kid. People like Williams inspire me to stay strong through it all.

The University of Montana is on the way back up, but we have to keep working together and talking together.

I hope we can build a Montana that encourages students, teachers, parents and leadership alike to speak up and speak out. We can build a Montana that encourages solving, not ignoring, the challenges they will inevitably face. We can build a Montana that always and only assumes we can and must do better.

Aylinn Inmon is a junior at the University of Montana, studying to get her bachelor’s degree in social work. She is a native of Missoula.

Another severely misguided UM student who will probably be making fries upon graduation. People in public positions who speak their mind rarely survive, Pat Williams will be the next. I'm not a Montana native, but I sure as hell don't want him representing the interests concerning the U (or MSU, etc) on the Board of Regents. Time to fade away and let new blood in there.

Latest posts

Back