• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Laughing All The Way To The Bank!

Spanky

Today's Billings Gazette reports the the compensation for Royce Engstrom is $360,000.00 per year. Are we getting what we are paying for? What do you think?

Spanky said:
Today's Billings Gazette reports the the compensation for Royce Engstrom is $360,000.00 per year. Are we getting what we are paying for? What do you think?

I just vomited. Second question. Are students getting what they are paying for?

If 360K was all he was costing us, I would not be so upset. The BOR totally screwed us with this hire. They(BOR) give MSU a great pres. and we get the third choice because the first 2 declined the offer.
As much as we all like to point at RE, the BOR should be held accountable for making such a poor choice. When the first two candidates declined, why didn't the BOR reopen the search?

NativeGriz said:
If 360K was all he was costing us, I would not be so upset. The BOR totally screwed us with this hire. They(BOR) give MSU a great pres. and we get the third choice because the first 2 declined the offer.
As much as we all like to point at RE, the BOR should be held accountable for making such a poor choice. When the first two candidates declined, why didn't the BOR reopen the search?
All a part of their agenda to help MSU catch up.

kemajic said:
NativeGriz said:
All a part of their agenda to help MSU catch up.

wasnt the chair of the hiring committe for both schools a um grad and a missoula resident at that time?

Also, i dont remember too many people complaining at the time of his hiring.

wbtfg said:
Also, i dont remember too many people complaining at the time of his hiring.
Well, I did.

UM has engaged in a long pattern of hiring practices that 1) induces people to take the time and trouble to apply for positions, 2) engage in some risk because they generally hold current positions somewhere and the application process makes it look like they are jumping ship, and 3) then going ahead and hiring the "insider."

UM has a real reputation for this in the professional academic community (includes sports).

It is to the point that, as with Engstrom, the applicant pool is already substantially diminished by the general knowledge that it's a waste of time, and then when what remains of the applicant pool pulls their applications -- because the result is a foregone conclusion -- the result becomes the foregone conclusion.

And the University ends up with the last guy on the list because he is the only guy on the list, because he has no where else to go. And that's how Engstrom got hired.

UM, at that point in time, needed to make a real statement about its seriousness in attracting high-level applicants, and its failure to do so will have enduring ramifications, the ramifications currently being a second rate president for what was and still is in some ways a first rate school, of which what is left is rapidly being corroded by the man's egregious lack of knowledge of what a University is and what it should stand for.

Here's a fun little thread from the way back machine.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44673&p=568513&hilit=engstrom#p568513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wbtfg said:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44673&p=568513&hilit=engstrom#p568513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I applaud your efforts to keep this crowd honest...not that it will have any effect whatsoever :lol: :cry: :lol:

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
wbtfg said:

I applaud your efforts to keep this crowd honest...not that it will have any effect whatsoever :lol: :cry: :lol:

Thanks, Mr. Buckshank.

I'd say the Salary for president of UM is more realistic than that of the MCPS supt.

If you lose over 700 students because of your inability to emphasize how you are fixing a problem, rather than the problem itself, have you really earned your salary? If your institution loses millions in donations because of your knee-jerk, and wrong, decisions, are you a "good value"? I don't think MCPS is in the red and laying of teachers are they? ;)

wbtfg said:

Interesting read. I don't recall seeing that before. I do remember being grossly underwhelmed the first time I heard him speak publically. Dub Foncy was right on.

Regardless, he has proven to be a very poor choice. What is the BOR waiting for?

GrizPony said:
If you lose over 700 students because of your inability to emphasize how you are fixing a problem, rather than the problem itself, have you really earned your salary? If your institution loses millions in donations because of your knee-jerk, and wrong, decisions, are you a "good value"? I don't think MCPS is in the red and laying of teachers are they? ;)

Actually they are and have been for about three years now. They may be off the hook this year, which may be a good thing as there is little left to cut. At least Morale is better at the U of M than MCPS.

What has this to do with football? I realize it has to do with the University, but I'm not making the connection to football or for that matter athletics in general.

Now if someone were to suggrest that Royce felt really bad about what he's done to the football program and he's donating, say 25% of his salary to the football/athletic program to make up for it, that would be football news!

I don't think I'll hold my breath however.

For what its worth, not all RE's fault.

http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PeauxRouge said:
Wait, why is Cruzado so much better? Just because we don't like Engstrom?

Your answer can best be found in talking with persons in the MSU administration as I have. Students too speak highly of Waded Cruzado as a positive leader...but for openers consider that over the past two semesters while UM suffered an enrollment loss of roughly 1,200 students MSU experienced a significant increase in their student numbers.

As for Gaeilge 1, struggling to connect the dots between football and Main Hall, consider the effects of the revenue lost because of plunging student enrollment. The resulting budget cuts are being felt all across the board from classroom courses and faculty positions to athletics. Everybody's ox is being gored because of UM's ineffectual "leadership."

And with a rubber stamp BOR in charge there's little reason to expect things to change. In the meantime, UM is being held hostage by a clueless despot...

Back