• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LANCE ARMSTRONG

bill breen

DONOR
WHO BESIDES MYSELF HAS BEEN FOLLOWING LANCE ARMSTRONG.

WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE ATHLETE AND HUMAN BEING.

FOUR TOUR DE FRANCE VICTORIES!!!

PRINT MEDIA FEELS VICTORY #5 THIS JULY IS ALREADY A DONE DEAL
ASSUMING SOME CRAZY IN THE CROWD DOESN'T KNOCK HIM OFF
THE BIKE AND OUT OF THE RACE.

DO YOU THINK HE COULD WIN #6 IN 2004?

THAT SPORT REALLY CANNIBALIZES THE BODY. I KNOW HE SELECTS HIS RACES TO BE PEAKING BY JULY BUT ONE WONDERS HOW MANY TIMES THE BODY CAN REJUVENATE.

THANK!!!

I agree, Lance is one of my favorite sports figures to watch and cheer for. His story is just amazing, I am rooting for him to surpass Miguel Indurain's record for Tour de France victories.

In this day and age of sports personalities being larger than life and thinking they can pull any stunt and get away with it (from signing a football in the middle of a game to murder). It is so nice to see Lance in the 2001 TdF stop riding and make sure one of his closest competitors was ok after a crash (I believe it was Jan Ulrich).

Lance is a class act and I will be looking forward to the 5-peat this July, besides what else is there to look forward to in July?

Lance did a really cute commercial yesterday during the playoff games. Shows that not only is the guy a great athlete but also has a pretty neat sense of humor.

The SI Sportsman of the year article made a good point about Lances career. They wondered if he would be anywhere near the athlete he is if he didn't have the cancer.

Before the cancer he was a slightly puggy hard working kid. Had some potential by was was more of a sprinter, was a little weak on the climbs.

After the cancer he became a sleek, powerful rider, with stamina unmatchable, and climbs like a monster.

The cancer really changed him, made him stronger and more focused. Could he have become the same athlete he is today if he hadn't had cancer? Possibly, but I don't believe so.

Lance Armstrong roared into 1996 as the number-one ranked cyclist in the world. But in October of that year, "the Golden Boy of American Cycling" was forced off his bike in excruciating pain.

Tests revealed an advanced form of testicular cancer that had spread to his abdomen, lungs and brain, and he was given only a 50 percent chance of survival. Remarkably, after a year of aggressive surgery and chemotherapy, he was declared cancer-free in 1997.

That last quote was taken from an ABC news site, Lance won his first TDF in 1999.

BEEN READING THE NEW YORK TIMES RELATIVE TO HOW THE FRENCH VIEW GEORGE W. AS "THAT TEXAS COWBOY".

WAS THINKING IF THIS YEARS TOUR AND HOW MANY MORE BODY GUARDS LANCE WILL HAVE TO HIRE.

SO SAD THAT POLITICS DOES NOT EVEN ESCAPE SPORTS.

I havn't read it, but someone who has read his autobiography told me he actually credits the cancer for allowing him to become a stronger cyclist, both physically and mentally. Just what tey told me... I havn't read it.

Here is a link to an ESPN story about Lance, the war and the TDF.

http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2003/0130/1501203.html

Very impressive, this guy is a winner, no question about that.

Cadwiz 30 - thanks for the link to ESPN article.

Enjoyed his I WILL NOT BE INTIMIDATED ATTITUDE.

I am hopeful the French will be EXTREMELY security minded.

The Tour riders will see that he is protected in the peleton (sp?),
my concern is the two individual time trails and the mountain
ascents/decents where he is open to whatever might be lurking
to take him out.

The Posties announced the BLUE TRAIN team members for 2003 as

LANCE ARMSTRONG (USA)
MICHAEL BARRY (CANADA)
ANTONIO CRUZ (USA)
VIATCHESLAV EKIMOV (RUSSIA)
ROBERTO HERAS (SPAIN)
GEORGE HINCAPIE (USA)
BENIOT JOACHIM (LUXEMBOURG)
STEFFEN KJAERGAARD (NORWAY)
DAMON KLUCK (USA)
KENNY LABBE (USA)
FLOYD LANDIS (USA)
GUENNADI MIKHAILOV (RUSSIA)
PAVEL PADRNOS (CZECHOSLOVAKIA)
VICTOR HUGO PENA (COLUMBIA)
JOSE LUIS RUBIERA (SPAIN)
CHRISTAIN VANDE VELDE (USA)
MAX VAN HEESWIJK (NETHERLANDS)
ROBBIE VENTURA (USA)
MATTHEW WHITE (AUSTRALIA)
DAVE ZABRISKIE (USA)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this like the largest contingent of
YANKEE'S to ride for U.S. Postal.

Good luck men!!!

This being the 100th anniversary for the Tour should be a showcase
for the world to watch.

Another great victory for the Texan. If this was up to capitol hill this would have been the Tour de Freedom. :wink:

Isn't this the guy that randomly decided to ditch his wife and kids?? i know he later changed his mind, but any guy that can even think about that is not a very good guy in my book...

He and his wife had a seperation a few months ago, but they got back together. From all accounts, he's a good family man, which is hard to manage with all his overseas training. Oh, and he's one of the all-time greatest athletes in the history of sports.

Latest posts

Back