• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz had to fight hard to beat MSU-Billings

PlayerRep

Lady Griz pulled out a 4 point victory at the end. Close game. Back and forth. MSU-B is good. The 2 MSU-B guards shot well, and the Malta girl Knutson is very good. Lady Griz played alot of players, but had to work hard to get the win. Could have gone either way. Cole was outstanding down the stretch, with multiple good plays, steals, shots and free throws. The 2 soph guards who played sparingly last year have nice 3-pt shots. The UM guards and team took good care of the ball.

PlayerRep said:
...and the Malta girl Knutson is very good.

It's Knudsen, like in Bobbi Knudsen. < http://www.msubsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1221&path=wbball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Altho MSU-B is very good, I think the Lady Griz would have won with a little more comfort if Robin had not subbed so liberally and early. Typically you see a coach build a lead with his starters and top subs, then let the end of his bench mop up at the end of the game. Selvig did the opposite (since it was an exhibition game), letting all his ladies play when the game was still in doubt and get valuable experience, then putting the hammer down at the end with his first group. I thought this was a commendable approach.

I went to this game & had a blast... great atmosphere for a season-opener. Quite a few yellow-clad Eastern boosters in attendance.

While I agree with Maroonandsilver regarding Selvig's approach toward playing his entire bench, playerrep is correct about Eastern's strength: a good squad capable of competing in the Big Sky this season. Along w/knudsen, Olson (18 pts) is an excellent outside shooting (4-of-5 from 3 pt. range) forward.

I actually see very little or no drop-off with the Lady Griz this year, despite their youth. Joining the seasoned starter-vets Hill and Sullivan, Carly Selvig, Maggie Rickman and Kellie Cole are poised to make significant progress/contributions this year. I'm truly intrigued by how Rickman can help this team, because she's got a nice mid-range jumper (10-18 ft.) and she was very comfortable shooting it last night. The bench is very, very young, but Vining, Feller (perhaps Sims) and Doran will produce after they settle down (they were all pressing too hard last night).

Should be a fun year for Montana Lady Griz hoops.

I think the griz will have a rebounding problem against a lot of teams which was their bane last year.

GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
shanae gilham?
I believe she is redshirting.

If you remember she injured one of her knees again near the end of the year. She had surgery and is in a slow recovery process and using her redshirt year to let it heal properly this time and to renew the strength in it. As I understand it so far it is going pretty well for her. I sure hope so as I am looking forward to seeing her play in the 2014-2015 season.

GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
shanae gilham?
I believe she is redshirting.

Yes, red-shirting. Still rehabbing her torn ACL (from about March 1). This is her 3d ACL surgery, I believe. Too bad for her and too bad for the team. She was on the bench in street clothes.

grizzlyjournal said:
I went to this game & had a blast... great atmosphere for a season-opener. Quite a few yellow-clad Eastern boosters in attendance.

While I agree with Maroonandsilver regarding Selvig's approach toward playing his entire bench, playerrep is correct about Eastern's strength: a good squad capable of competing in the Big Sky this season. Along w/knudsen, Olson (18 pts) is an excellent outside shooting (4-of-5 from 3 pt. range) forward.

I actually see very little or no drop-off with the Lady Griz this year, despite their youth. Joining the seasoned starter-vets Hill and Sullivan, Carly Selvig, Maggie Rickman and Kellie Cole are poised to make significant progress/contributions this year. I'm truly intrigued by how Rickman can help this team, because she's got a nice mid-range jumper (10-18 ft.) and she was very comfortable shooting it last night. The bench is very, very young, but Vining, Feller (perhaps Sims) and Doran will produce after they settle down (they were all pressing too hard last night).

Should be a fun year for Montana Lady Griz hoops.
She didn't show it in this game, but I have seen enough of Kayleigh Valley in practices and scrimmages to think she will be a contributor this year and a very good and exciting player over the next four years.

Gilham would not have been ready to play until January, so she decided to redshirt. bummer, She shot 43.9% from 3 point line and 44.3% overall. Her overall shooting percentage was the best on the team last year.

small sample (5 - 11), but Hannah Doran had the highest percentage shooting at 3 point line at 45.5%. Her shooting during this game was a good start at improving on that. Hope so, Lady Griz could use a player that can shoot good from the outside.

Back