• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lack of Fire?

JayLarson

It just seems like this team lacks anyone getting too fired up out there, you hardly ever see the players getting excited after plays, not alot of pumping each other up. I don't know if this has a big effect on end results, but someone has to get it going out there. Not sure who is in charge of the firing up, but you would think some of it comes from the Coaches and the rest from the players. Today the team looked very flat again, not that I call 51 points flat, they just seem flat from an emotional stand point. I wanna see guys getting excited out there and getting after each other when needed. This has been a trend I have noticed 3 of the last 4 years, Pflu's first year, and the last 2 seasons. They don't even look as fired up when they play at home either. Just my observation, what are everyone else's thoughts?

I saw Coyle VERY fired up on Sac's last drive when Tully missed that critical tackle. I saw Hermanson pissed as hell when the receiver caught that tipped ball in the end zone. I don't think passion is an issue...fundamentals? That's a different story...

That is 2 examples and it is sad if you can name them both, there needs to be that fire on every play!

AZGrizFan said:
I saw Coyle VERY fired up on Sac's last drive when Tully missed that critical tackle. I saw Hermanson pissed as hell when the receiver caught that tipped ball in the end zone. I don't think passion is an issue...fundamentals? That's a different story...

BINGO.

:agree:

JayLarson said:
That is 2 examples and it is sad if you can name them both, there needs to be that fire on every play!

That's two examples off the top of my head. I could go back and watch the film again if its that important to you...

I think this team has a tremendous amount of fire and passion. I think they're always fired up. That's the friggin least of my concerns. It's funny, last year, I remember a thread devoted to bitching about Tripp celebrating tackles too much. Now, the Griz don't do it enough. Hilarious stuff

havgrizfan said:
I think this team has a tremendous amount of fire and passion. I think they're always fired up. That's the friggin least of my concerns. It's funny, last year, I remember a thread devoted to bitching about Tripp celebrating tackles too much. Now, the Griz don't do it enough. Hilarious stuff

Yup, always something to complain about. Their passion/effort/intensity is fine, this has been shown in how they've responded so trailing against EWU and Poly the past couple of weeks, the problem has been consistency, playcalling, and injuries. Not sure how anyone can doubt the passion of the players out there though.

havgrizfan said:

Agreed. This team has nice fire. That's one reason they are 7-2 and able to come back and win OT games. They just need to play better and more consistently. JJ continues to be outstanding. That's a huge plus. Receivers are improving, but need to have fewer drops. I'm a defensive guy, but I don't have the solution or explanation there. Griz are reasonably healthy for this point of the season.

Need to win at USD. Then would be 9-2 going to Bozeman.

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

Agreed. This team has nice fire. That's one reason they are 7-2 and able to come back and win OT games. They just need to play better and more consistently. JJ continues to be outstanding. That's a huge plus. Receivers are improving, but need to have fewer drops. I'm a defensive guy, but I don't have the solution or explanation there. Griz are reasonably healthy for this point of the season.

Weber?

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

They do seem to start games and come out after half time a little flat...

It's hard to argue fire when you come through in O.T. wins. However, I noticed in the EWU game how they were huddled during timeouts. We were spread out like sheep...milling all over the sideline. Jog on and off the field...look like you are part of a disciplined unit. F..k me ! We certainly have some talented people...maybe this will all explode and we start rolling people. who the f..k knows.... :egriz:

Well after reading Brint's post game thread I would say that there are plenty of people saying that there is a lack of fire. I am not named Brint or Alpha so not as many people read my threads. I did see that Coyle was very fired up and pissed at guys for missing tackles, that I really really like to see. This team does not quit, but like when they came on to the field after halftime, it almost looked like they could care less that they were coming out to play a football game, no one looked excited about going back out there, this concerned me. We won another close game so obviously this team wants to win, maybe they are just not the guys that get all fired up for each other.

There's another way of looking at how they came out at half-time...... A "quiet confidence" ...a.. "We own this place" mentality... "Business like approach". Like it or not I believe the preceeding was more likely then this "no fire" BS.

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

johnson has done a great job at the end of games, but his completion % has been pretty mediocre for weeks now. while some of that is due to drops, he has been misfiring a lot, plus getting pretty lucky with defensive players dropping "sure" picks (there was at least one vs sac state). if he was throwing the ball a little better in quarters 1-3, perhaps not all the 4th quarter heroics would be necessary.

i know, i know, a moderate criticism of the hallowed jordon johnson, string me up....

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:

johnson has done a great job at the end of games, but his completion % has been pretty mediocre for weeks now. while some of that is due to drops, he has been misfiring a lot, plus getting pretty lucky with defensive players dropping "sure" picks (there was at least one vs sac state). if he was throwing the ball a little better in quarters 1-3, perhaps not all the 4th quarter heroics would be necessary.

i know, i know, a moderate criticism of the hallowed jordon johnson, string me up....
His passing percentage is down but a lot of that is JJ deciding to throw the ball away rather than risking an INT. Lots of dropped passes as well. I don't recall any 4th quarter heroics in the SAC state game.... If we didn't have JJ we would be sitting at 3-4 right now, at best.

JJ is smart, takes good care of the ball when looking to throw, and is accurate. Few of his passes are misfires. While he has some, most are balls that he intentionally throws where no one else except the receiver could catch it, or throws it away.

In national stats, he's 7th in passing efficiency, 7th in TD passes, 17th in total passing yards and passing yards per game, and 4th in average per completion (15.82, slightly ahead of Vernon Adams). Fewest interceptions. Only 2 qb's in top 50 have as few as 3 interceptions.

Back