• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

KPAX's response to thoughts from a concerned Griz Fan...

GrizzlyEdd

DONOR
Let me remind you these are NOT my remarks... but a large number of GRIZ FANS.... I just thought you might want to know what was being said.... I take offense that you would blame me for these remarks.... so much for being a concerned citizen... I guess I know what TV stations I will be watching and it won't be yours.... AGAIN... these remarks WERE NOT MINE.... and SIR... no one is saying anything about the THOUSANDS of $$$$$$ your are spending nor you CREW on the way to NAU.... I was trying to let you in on some things going around.... Sounds to me like you have a problem with taking some constructive criticism and have an anger problem here.... Me thinks that you would be thanking me for caring enough about your station to want to let you know what I have been hearing but guess that you could care less about public opinion.... especially when it doesn't fit your personal/professional thoughts.... that I am sorry for.... Good Day Sir...

Edd...
(406) 329-1282

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 9:42 AM
To: Willey, Edd
Subject: Re: KPAX coverage team for Grizzly Football games...

Willey----KPAX has done outstanding work getting the griz games on the
air and I take offense to
your remarks. Tom Katz has been a supporter of griz football throughout
his tenure at KPAX. He
covers the team daily and does not make anti-griz comments. I've done
the games with Tom and
we constantly talk about the "great" play of the team and coaches. I'd
be happy to sit through a tape
of any past game with you and I guarantee we'd count hundreds if not
thousands of compliments
about the players.

Our crew is on the road as I write this to you, driving to Flagstaff AZ,
they left Thursday and will be
on road for 13 days. After the NAU game they'll be driving to Sacramento
to produce and get ready
to telecast the next griz game. They are dedicated to bringing us the
game in the comfort of our homes.

These telecasts costs 10's of thousand's of dollar to produce and air
for you to enjoy for "free". We are
the only station that has been willing to the griz road games for
decades because the costs are very high.
I remember when people wished these games could be seen on TV instead of
radio.

I am proud of our crews efforts and hope you'll watch but you can choose
to not watch if you want. But
our support of UM is unquestionable just check with the Athletic
Director or the Head Coach. I know
they appreciate our work and our very substaincial investment to the
athletic program, as they receive
10's of thousands of dollars directly from us on a yearly basis.

Willey, Edd wrote:

>I have been reading a lot of comments on various Grizzly Football "message
>boards" on the net. What I read from not one, two, or three posters but an
>ever growing number of Grizzly Fans, is that they are highly upset by
>actions and comments made by the announcers that you have for the games.
>The biggest problem seems to stem from Mr. Katz and Mr Hermes making
>"anit-Griz Football Team" statements, making all sorts of anti Griz Fan
>statements, and cheering for the opposing teams. All this on the air for
>all to see and hear. Needless to say, this is making an ever growing number
>of Griz fans thinking that KPAX should move to Bozeman. These Grizzly fans
>have gone as far as to call these "professional broadcasters" pompous and
>jerks. For the life of me I cannot figure out why announcers from Missoula
>and KPAX would generate so much ill will from Grizzly Fans. I doubt that
>the Fans are making all this up. I will be watching the game against NAU
>tomorrow and see if what I am reading and hearing is true.
>
>I am sending this to you for KPAX's sake.... if there is growing bad
>feelings about your Sports reporter you are going to lose an audience no
>matter if you televise the Griz Games or not. I can't imagine this kind of
>publicity, especially here in Grizville, is the kind of image KPAX wants to
>have. If KPAX, through its sports reporting, continues to alienate people
>in the Missoula area and beyond (one comment came from a Griz fan who saw a tape of the PSU game) you will find your audience watching
>KECI and KMMF more and more.... That can't be good for your business....
>
>
>
>
>
>.
>[/b]

WOW I just received a phone call from Bob Hermes from KPAX. He actually called to apologize for the way his email to me sounded. He seemed genuinely sincere. Hmmmmm Anyway, he said that the majority of all comments he has received and mail that people are pleased with KPAX's broadcasts of the games. He stated that his crew are definitely Griz fans and backers and would not want to be thought of any other way. They just try to call a game as they see it...

So, guess you can make of all this whatever you want.... I think I am done making statements for awhile.... :wink:

My two cents...

Many times, people hear what they want to hear. I read a post this summer that complained about all the "bright lights and loud music" at Safeco...the most amazing venue in the country! Some people will always find a reason to complain. I don't like the ESPN guys who do the Mariners games. These fans should do what I do and turn the sound off...and be thankful the game is on T.V.! :-?

GrizzEd- I showed the folks in my office the message you sent to KPAX who broadcast Griz games. Let me emphasize that what I am writing are NOT my remarks, but the remarks of the people who read your message because I just thought you might want to know what they are saying. Anyway, they say your message was idiotic, and that it makes all the Griz fans sound like a bunch of pampered babies who can't stand to hear anyone say anything nice about the teams we play without making us feel insecure about our Griz. They also say that it was cowardly to hide behind the words of others, kind of like telling some guy, "Hey, a lot of other people think your sister is ugly. Not me, mind you, just some other people."

Again, I want to emphasize that what I am telling you about everyone I showed your message to are NOT my remarks. I think you are a genius, and that the Griz fans would be better off without any TV coverage rather than have to listen to TV coverage that doesn't consist entirely of cheering for the Griz. But I'm alone in that. Everyone else said they'd really like to keep getting TV coverage of Griz games. I just wanted you to know what I heard some people say.

BTW...I wish we got the games on T.V. in Spokane. As it stands, I have to go to bars and come home stinking like an ash-tray to see my team. I think folks are pretty lucky in Missoula and should just say thanks.

In fact, we get about 3 lines in the paper about the game on Sunday which ticks me off. Instead we get front page photo's of Idaho's continued failures.

GFGriz said:
GrizzEd- I showed the folks in my office the message you sent to KPAX who broadcast Griz games. Let me emphasize that what I am writing are NOT my remarks, but the remarks of the people who read your message because I just thought you might want to know what they are saying. Anyway, they say your message was idiotic, and that it makes all the Griz fans sound like a bunch of pampered babies who can't stand to hear anyone say anything nice about the teams we play without making us feel insecure about our Griz. They also say that it was cowardly to hide behind the words of others, kind of like telling some guy, "Hey, a lot of other people think your sister is ugly. Not me, mind you, just some other people."

Again, I want to emphasize that what I am telling you about everyone I showed your message to are NOT my remarks. I think you are a genius, and that the Griz fans would be better off without any TV coverage rather than have to listen to TV coverage that doesn't consist entirely of cheering for the Griz. But I'm alone in that. Everyone else said they'd really like to keep getting TV coverage of Griz games. I just wanted you to know what I heard some people say.

So, what I hear YOU saying is that YOU too are an IDIOT and oh yes a COWARD too :fist: just like me.... well I'll be... there are two of us...

So I guess what Bob Hermes is really saying is KPAX is the only game in town so take it the way we give it to you and shut the hell up. :evil:

"I'd
be happy to sit through a tape
of any past game with you and I guarantee we'd count hundreds if not
thousands of compliments
about the players. "

OK, wait a sec. a game is about 200 minutes long (a little over 3 hrs.) and since the quote above references "thousands of compliments" lets be conservative and use 2,000 comments. Since I am a great mathematician, I calculate that 10 compliments per minute are then spouted out each game. A further calculation produces 1 compliment every 6 seconds!

And were supposed to feel sympathetic about the "crew on the road". How grueling wow am I touched. (There's probably thousands of people trying to enter the broadcast business, who would die to "be on the road for 13-days")

Thanks KPAX for broadcasting the games for w/o it we would not be able to watch our beloved GriZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz. But let's be real. I'll also let you in on a little secret......Charge the sponsors for the commercials and you won't have to broadcast for "free". :D

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ~ WATCH OUT FOR THE KIDS!

GrizzlyEd- I take offense that you would blame me for these remarks .... so much for being a concerned citizen. Let me remind you these are NOT my remarks ... but a large number of GRIZ FANS.... I just thought you might want to know what was being said.

I must confess I also wrote a letter to KPAX but did not receive one back. I was very constructive as I do appreciate the effort they do. I also think there is room for improvement in whatever a person does (myself included).

My brother gets out more than I do (he is a salesman on a Missoula bar route) and heard nothing but negative comments about the Griz ISU game.

I find it VERY hard to believe KPAX got more positives than negatives on this one. The tone of his letter also supports that conclusion.

GFGriz said:
GrizzlyEd- I take offense that you would blame me for these remarks .... so much for being a concerned citizen. Let me remind you these are NOT my remarks ... but a large number of GRIZ FANS.... I just thought you might want to know what was being said.

And you SIR call yourself a Griz fan but you live in EWU country and spend your time ATTACKING loyal Griz fans here in Missoula.... nice try... you must have been a Bison... :fist:

GGG & Chris... sorry for the personal attacks that have cropped up here. That was definitely not the intent of this thread.... and I believe that I am not the one to start the attacks either.... so if ya feel the need you can delete away...

Grizzly Edd--I appreciate the fact that you had the guts to actually write KPAX, rather than sitting back mumbling in your beard like so many of us (me included). I've been one of the first to complain here about Katz---but maybe we're all whining too much. I still think he goes on too much about the other teams' prowess and doesn't seem nearly as excited whe nthe Griz do something wonderful--and some of Hermes' comments in defense of KPAX were pretty silly, but as some of the others here have said, maybe we should just count our blessings. Of course, since I didn't have to listen to him on TV last game, I'm not as mad as I was after ISU. But I'm going to try to keep the perspective that at least we can watch the game----and, as someone suggested, turn off the sound and turn up the radio.

GrizzlyEd- Please, please. How often do I have to remind you, I have NEVER attacked any loyal Griz fans, including you, Ed, you genius. Like you, I simply reported what everyone else to whom I showed your message said about it and the way you charaterized it. Just as you protested that your original message to KPAX was not a reflection of your own thoughts, and that you were offended that they were so taken, so too was my report not a reflection upon you. I simply wanted you to know that THEY thought about your remarks. I am so much a loyal Griz fan that I would rather we not have ANY television coverage if it can't be 100% PRO-GRIZ Coverage.

BTW, I don't "live in EWU country." I have driven from Great Falls (which is, I remind you, the hometown of SuperDave) to Missoula and back for every Griz home game for years, which is about 20,000 miles of travel for the Griz over the last 10 years.

GFGriz said:
GrizzlyEd- Please, please. How often do I have to remind you, I have NEVER attacked any loyal Griz fans, including you, Ed, you genius. Like you, I simply reported what everyone else to whom I showed your message said about it and the way you charaterized it. Just as you protested that your original message to KPAX was not a reflection of your own thoughts, and that you were offended that they were so taken, so too was my report not a reflection upon you. I simply wanted you to know that THEY thought about your remarks. I am so much a loyal Griz fan that I would rather we not have ANY television coverage if it can't be 100% PRO-GRIZ Coverage.

BTW, I don't "live in EWU country." I have driven from Great Falls (which is, I remind you, the hometown of SuperDave) to Missoula and back for every Griz home game for years, which is about 20,000 miles of travel for the Griz over the last 10 years.

Whatever.... color coat your comments anyway you choose... There was no need to use anyone's "idiot" & "coward" comments no matter who actually thought them. By the way, I don't believe those comments came from co-workers, they came from you. You just don't have the "courage" to admit to it. ... if you like, go ahead and turn that around and use against me if you wish.... at least I am being truthful here and also, as you have seen on here, am not the only one who has written a letter. Even a compliment from a concerned fan that I at least had enough guts to do something about what others were concerned about. Now if you have a problem with all that then ........ I am well aware of DD... I watched him play in GtFalls for CMR and in Msla for UM.... I don't need any history lessons from you. You started the personal attacks bud... be a man and own up to it... you will feel better... :cry:

GrizzlyEd- How often do I have to tell you you are a genius before you believe it? But I should also have mentioned your guts in bravely reporting what OTHERS (NOT you) had been saying, and correctly objecting when being falsely accused of having complained yourself. I was only trying to emulate you in reporting what others had said, others who don't have, and could never have, your guts. GrizzlyEd, you are THE (GRIZ) MAN! Keep on reporting the complaints of others.....

GFGriz said:
GrizzlyEd- How often do I have to tell you you are a genius before you believe it? But I should also have mentioned your guts in bravely reporting what OTHERS (NOT you) had been saying, and correctly objecting when being falsely accused of having complained yourself. I was only trying to emulate you in reporting what others had said, others who don't have, and could never have, your guts. GrizzlyEd, you are THE (GRIZ) MAN! Keep on reporting the complaints of others.....

:mad: this is my last post on this thread, as it has been degraded by your partonization. I do not need to listen to your drivel and sarcasm. A Griz fan you may be but to attack another Griz fan has YOU (no one else) have is not anything I choose to be associated with. You have shown your true colors and your true character by how you demean others. For me it ends here.... Live long and prosper whoever you are.... :fist:

I think that we need to be thankful for what we can get. I think we need to deal with the anouncers and whatever else because all we really want to see is the game. If it bothers you that much, do what the KGVO sign in Wash-Griz says and mute the TV and turn up Mick. I think the only thing we have any room to complain about is the picture, only because the truth is that if the quality of the picture is bad, we are probably not going to support the advertisers. Just a thought.

You guys should do what I've done for years. Turn down the TV sound and put on the radio guys, they are much better commentators. When there is a 6 yard gain they actually get it right instead of saying 4 yard gain.

I'd be happy no matter how bad the commentators are. AS LONG AS THEY TELEVISE THE GAMES. We are very lucky. If you go to Anygivensaturday.com you'll see how TV starved the other 1AA schools are. It's a major event on the three weekends they get a TV game during the season.

Remember the days? We would have 3-4 televised games and the rest of the time we'd be sitting in front of the radios just like Grandpa used to do.

We are LUCKY, cherish it.

I've been working so hard, Ive been lucky to get even a few fall saturdays off, and this week I'm giving up killing a perfectly innocent and stupid and defenseless and tasty elk to watch the game with my brother and a freind coming over. I am damn glad those Griz games are broadcast here in Bobcat country. I can't get radio coverage, but even so, I could care less if the Bobcat hoecoming queen was calling the play by play. I think we ought to thank KPAX...and their advertisers.

Oh and GFGriz....it doesn't amuse me...but sarcasm amuses some friends of mine. :D

Lets be thankful all Griz games are televised. Not too many Div. 1AA teams can say that. We can't expect a John Madden and Al Michaels, ABC type telecast because local TV station budgets are much lower. Turn the sound off if you don't like the KPAX announcers. Frankly I think they are trying and that is all you can expect. BUT please don't ruin the telecasting of all Griz games for the rest of us.

Latest posts

Back