• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kicking Game

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Can someone who actually knows the answer tell me what is wrong with the kicking game? Is it a breakdown at the line of scrimmage? Is it a missed assignment? Is it Lider and his tendency to kick low line drives? Why in the hell can we not kick a freebie chip shot through the uprights! Two missed PATs and one tipped that still went through....how are they ever going to kick field goals when they need it!

Griz were near perfect yesterday in Grand Forks and fun to watch but they are going to need a solid kicking game to go deep (unless they continue to win by 5 TDs :) )

A kicker that is doing what Lider is doing (pulling his kicks) is either nervous or over-thinking it. For PATs, you rarely see a kick get missed to the side that the kicker kicks (left for lefties) since the general mistake is to over-swing and hook.

For PATs, he needs to keep his hips more open and start his progression earlier. In the first two games he hasn't started until the ball was caught by Cam and that's accounted for 1 of the 2 blocks.

grizfan95 said:
A kicker that is doing what Lider is doing (pulling his kicks) is either nervous or over-thinking it. For PATs, you rarely see a kick get missed to the side that the kicker kicks (left for lefties) since the general mistake is to over-swing and hook.

For PATs, he needs to keep his hips more open and start his progression earlier. In the first two games he hasn't started until the ball was caught by Cam and that's accounted for 1 of the 2 blocks.
He hit the outside upright yesterday. It was a push not a pull. In that situation he didn't get his hips square.

mtgrizfankb said:
grizfan95 said:

He hit the outside upright yesterday. It was a push not a pull. In that situation he didn't get his hips square.
His set up off the place holder is very odd. I've never seen it before. He doesn't look far enough to the left. But then again, I've never kicked before.

I was thinking about this before the season began and reports were coming in from practice/scrimmages that we might have some issues in this department. I feel bad for the kid, the worse it gets the worse it gets it seems. Being an optimist I am hoping that when we take chances we normally wouldn't (instead of setting up for a field goal) they just happen to work out for us and put big points on the board. It isn't just the missed three or one that is an issue it's how play calling will be effected and the fact that our opponents will know we appear to be limited in the kicking department. Again, hope Lider pulls out of it this week in practice and here is to hoping the chances we have to take if he doesn't are blessings in disguise.

Yeah, knowing we don't have a strong field goal/PAT kicker gives opponents another strategic tool to use against us. Maybe some of the football brainiacs can remember a year when the Griz went deep into the playoffs with a poor field goal kicker, but my memories are mostly of games when a solid field goal kicker was the difference in the game.

I am sure Lider is working his tail off, but, at some point in the kid's career, he's either going to have it or not . . . feel sorry for him with the amount of pressure he's under, but if you're gonna play with the big boys, you gotta produce.

The main question (among countless concerns) I have is how bad of an extra point (and field goal) kicker was Lider in High School? Does anyone know his stats then? Surely this kid must have been missing pats left and right in high school as I am sure he did not suddenly start missing the easiest kicks last year. Did his high school only go for two? Or maybe not score any or many TD's. How did they recruit this kid to think he was their best shot at a legitimate kicker. I hope he pulls through but this missing pats has become a regular thing now for way to long.

I learned how to kick in high school from Pat Bolten (former Bobcat stud) and could do better on PATs then and now even though I did not kick in any games back then because we had a couple players by the names of Kris Hepner and Dallas Neil putting on kicking clinics. Hopefully soon the Griz can find a kicker that can at least make almost all their pats. I am praying Lider will figure it out soon but every pull and block on pats is making me lose more faith.

It may be time for Worst cause he could not be much worse...or could he???

It's either the basic mechanics of proper kicking that he struggling with, being nervous or an injury.

We need you on your game Lider, xtra points are going to be critical during conference play.

Keep your head up dude and work through it...

Back