• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kick It on 4th Down Crowd Gets Their Wish

PlayerRep

Are you happy now? Is this what you have wanted all along? Were you not warned that FG's are not automatic?

PlayerRep said:
Are you happy now? Is this what you have wanted all along? Were you not warned that FG's are not automatic?

You are a fu*king troll dude, that was not the time to attempt a fg anyway but that is beside the point. The way the running game was going and the line was playing the chances of picking up that first would not have been automatic either, even if the Griz would have passed instead. In case you missed it the oline has been struggling the past few games.

Since you are such a big stat coach why don't you post us all the percentage of fourth down conversions of the Griz this season and we can compare that with the FG percentage.

FG's are 8-13. 4th down conversion is 6-11. Can't wait to see what that shows you. You are such a dummy, 1Griz.

PlayerRep said:
FG's are 8-13. 4th down conversion is 6-11. Can't wait to see what that shows you. You are such a dummy, 1Griz.

Right, and you are nothing more than an egriz monday morning coach. Well if you want to go by % then the FG is more of a sure thing than going for it on 4th down. And if i am a dummy you are such a d!psh!+ fu*king troll.

I'd say get a life but it is clear most of that is consumed on egriz, with a majority beating a dead horse about 4th downs. Tell your dumb@$$ buddy Delaney the only coach I know is dumber than him is you.

1Griz_Fan said:
PlayerRep said:

Right, and you are nothing more than an egriz monday morning coach. Well if you want to go by % then the FG is more of a sure thing than going for it on 4th down. And if i am a dummy you are such a d!psh!+ fu*king troll.

I'd say get a life but it is clear most of that is consumed on egriz, with a majority beating a dead horse about 4th downs. Tell your dumb@$$ buddy Delaney the only coach I know is dumber than him is you.

things are looking up!

PR, Griz went for a field goal on 4th down when they were down by 11 points with 7 or 8 or so minutes left in the game. They needed both a TD with two point conversion and a field goal to tie the game, and the field goal was right there. Clearly there was a greater chance of kicking the field goal than going for a 4th and long for a first down.

The fact that their kicker missed the field goal does not make that a poor coaching decision. Coach Delaney made the right decision in going for the field goal in that situation. It’s too bad the kicker missed it.

If the kicker had made the field goal Griz would have been within a TD and two point conversion of tying the game. If they went for it on 4th down and did not make the 1st down they would be down by 11 points with time running out, which is the same place they were in after missing the field goal -(which again they should have made).

The lesson in all of this is that the Griz need a better (i.e., more reliable) kicker. Your argument that the Griz should always try to get the first down, is bolstered when the Griz kicker sucks. I don't think our kicker sucks that bad yet. He makes more than he misses.

GrizRanger said:
PR, Griz went for a field goal on 4th down when they were down by 11 points with 7 or 8 or so minutes left in the game. They needed both a TD with two point conversion and a field goal to tie the game, and the field goal was right there. Clearly there was a greater chance of kicking the field goal than going for a 4th and long for a first down.

The fact that their kicker missed the field goal does not make that a poor coaching decision. Coach Delaney made the right decision in going for the field goal in that situation. It’s too bad the kicker missed it.

If the kicker had made the field goal Griz would have been within a TD and two point conversion of tying the game. If they went for it on 4th down and did not make the 1st down they would be down by 11 points with time running out, which is the same place they were in after missing the field goal -(which again they should have made).

The lesson in all of this is that the Griz need a better (i.e., more reliable) kicker. Your argument that the Griz should always try to get the first down, is bolstered when the Griz kicker sucks. I don't think our kicker sucks that bad yet. He makes more than he misses.

It's not that simple. You should be able to make 4th and less than 1 most of the time, unless its the Jags vs the Steel Curtain. We in fact went for it in a longer yardage situation last week vs Cal Poly, you have to calculate your odds. Making it and going for two makes it possible to tie with a long FG on a subsequent possession. We were coming from way behind after a sad performance and went conservative...at home.

NFL coaches go all conservative like this and lose all the time. If you can't gain 1 yard at home in this situation, you deserve to lose but you should at least give yourself the best chance (unlikely given the points we were behind) to win and that wasn't it.

GrizRanger said:

It was 4th and 1, with 5.5 minutes to go. Momentum with with UM. If UM picks up the first down, which I believe would have been likely, and scores a TD, then they are down only 4 or 3.

GrizRanger said:

good post, the whole go for it/kick it argument is highly colored by the result of the play. I think we need some sort of eGriz app that records our opinion before the play, then we can argue about without the bias of knowing what happens.

mcg said:
GrizRanger said:

good post, the whole go for it/kick it argument is highly colored by the result of the play. I think we need some sort of eGriz app that records our opinion before the play, then we can argue about without the bias of knowing what happens.

You don't mean...hindsight is 20/20 do you? ;)

It's about the time of the game, the score and the momentum. This one I would've done differently but neither way was a glaringly bad decision. Why does everyone on this board think they need to control the minds and opinions of every fan?

mcg said:
GrizRanger said:

I thought we should have gone for the first down before the play. Had we made the FG, I would have still thought we should have gone for the first down.

We could take the app one step farther. On fourth down we pull out our phones and click 'go for it' or 'kick'. The totals are shown on Griz Vision and the team does whatever gets the most votes. That way instead of arguing about what the coaches decide we could argue about what we decide.

We will probably need a tv timeout during voting so that we have enough time to find our phones and vote.

herm-meme-generator-you-play-to-win-the-game-1fe5f0.jpg

Not trying to say one way or the other on the 4th down issue, I just think this is good advice.

mcg said:
We could take the app one step farther. On fourth down we pull out our phones and click 'go for it' or 'kick'. The totals are shown on Griz Vision and the team does whatever gets the most votes. That way instead of arguing about what the coaches decide we could argue about what we decide.

We will probably need a tv timeout during voting so that we have enough time to find our phones and vote.
Do the winners get a jimmy john? If so, I'm in...

stubbins said:
mcg said:

Do the winners get a jimmy john? If so, I'm in...

Fuck, you beat me to it!!! Haha!

mcg said:

It would better to do the opposite of what the fans want. Would have more chance at success.

Coulda shoulda woulda. We should have gone for it on 4th & 1, but hey what do I know...I never played the game, but did stay in a Holiday Express one time :roll:

Back