• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kale Edwards in the Portal

This works both ways though. As a FCS coach, do you spend a scholarship on a high school kid or a FBS dropdown? No-brainer on average, right?
Not quite my point. My point is and has been that there have to be additional HS-to-FCS recruiting possibilities that didn't exist before the portal. To simplify: We get HS players that would've gone FBS pre-portal, they play for us, and then go FBS if they're good enough.

Not quite my point. My point is and has been that there have to be additional HS-to-FCS recruiting possibilities that didn't exist before the portal. To simplify: We get HS players that would've gone FBS pre-portal, they play for us, and then go FBS if they're good enough.
You are seeing UM offer more high school kids in this cycle than any since BH returned. But the schools that may benefit the most are the G5 schools.

I don't think impact making TE or OLB stronger was as important as how much weaker the DE position would be.
Well how did keeping him at DE position work out.....now just as weak as if he was moved. Hopefully they now use his scholarship for a plug and play DE or the team is weaker now at DE and not stronger at another position to maybe balance a little. He is a great athlete, and is a big loss not having him on the field somewhere.

Probably right...but now DE is weaker AND TE/OLB aren't stronger...so it's a lose/lose.
This doesn't make sense to me.

They need him to play DE, they don't need him to play OLB or TE. If he's not going to play DE, then they should go find someone who will and give that guy his scholarship.

Well how did keeping him at DE position work out.....now just as weak as if he was moved. Hopefully they now use his scholarship for a plug and play DE or the team is weaker now at DE and not stronger at another position to maybe balance a little. He is a great athlete, and is a big loss not having him on the field somewhere.
Probably the same overall.

They need him to play DE, they don't need him to play OLB or TE. If he's not going to play DE, then they should go find someone who will and give that guy his scholarship.

Well, I disagree. He's probably a better TE than everyone on the team not named Grossman, and he'd be a wrecking ball at OLB with his size and speed. Now we're worse off at DE and no better at TE or OLB...seems like a no brainer...and that being said, I'm not a fan of the inmates running the asylum...I get that Bobby has to say, "THIS is where we need you"...but do you think he'd make the same decision if he thought it was gonna push Edwards to the portal?

Not 100% sure if this would have been the case, but if putting Kale on the field at rush OLB means taking Riley Wilson off, then I'm glad they didn't do that.
Agreed. I'd play Wilson over Edwards. Mostly because we don't really know what Edwards' skillset at that position looks like in comparison.

Well, I disagree. He's probably a better TE than everyone on the team not named Grossman, and he'd be a wrecking ball at OLB with his size and speed. Now we're worse off at DE and no better at TE or OLB...seems like a no brainer...and that being said, I'm not a fan of the inmates running the asylum...I get that Bobby has to say, "THIS is where we need you"...but do you think he'd make the same decision if he thought it was gonna push Edwards to the portal?
I think he would make exactly the same decision.

Why do you think he'd be a better TE than Barker or Schafer? I don't see it.

I could see him at OLB, but back to what HHB said, the loss at DE is much greater than whatever benefit he'd add at OLB, and then we wouldn't have a scholarship to use on a DE that we now need.

Agreed. I'd play Wilson over Edwards. Mostly because we don't really know what Edwards' skillset at that position looks like in comparison.
I'm sorry, but the fact that we're responding to one another in two separate threads, both titled "Kale Edwards in the portal" is very confusing lol

If you don’t get kids from high school, you probably won’t have a chance to get them later. So far, for Griz football, most kids who could play at FBS level don’t depart. Obviously, there’s evaluation and a balance. Tough for coaches.

If this is true, and if it's true that FBS coaches will increasingly utilize the portal to fill rosters, it's even more reason to aim higher in HS recruiting. Maybe some kids who grade out at 80 (random number) who would have never considered Montana pre-portal would consider signing now that they know the current reality. If they stay, even better.

You are seeing UM offer more high school kids in this cycle than any since BH returned. But the schools that may benefit the most are the G5 schools.

That's great. I hope at least some of them can be early contributors who may have chosen an FBS school but-for (a) the lack of early playing time, and/or (b) FBS coaches' increased reliance on the portal rather than HS to backfill.

If this is true, and if it's true that FBS coaches will increasingly utilize the portal to fill rosters, it's even more reason to aim higher in HS recruiting. Maybe some kids who grade out at 80 (random number) who would have never considered Montana pre-portal would consider signing now that they know the current reality. If they stay, even better.
My impression is that the UM coaches have always aimed high for any recruit that they thought might consider UM. Maybe you are right that more kids will consider MT for early playing time, knowing they can move up easily later and have a complete college resume/tape. Interesting thought.

Importantly, what do you tell the kids in the LB room? Hey, we know you worked your butts off, and we know that you have been competing against each other for every rep you can earn. Now, we have a player who wants to join your position.

Seems like a really good way to now push out a linebacker that we did want to play. It is, to some degree, a zero sum game when it comes to minutes and reps. I wish Edwards no ill will, at all. If that is the path he thinks will get him to the pros, I will wish him well and if I ever run into him will make sure he knows it is Montana Forever.

Back