• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kale Edwards in the Portal

Big ouch.

Interesting he put DE/OLB/TE. He has incredible speed and isn't exactly a natural body type as a DE in a 3-man front. Finding more of a pass rush role might help if he has eyes on pro ball.
But also sounds like maybe he's just open to a change of scenery. Or a fitting grad program.

“Edwards made 35 total tackles with 4.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss with two forced fumbles in 2023, helping the Grizzlies reach the FCS championship game in Frisco, Texas. He did not play in UM's spring game last week and was limited throughout spring drills due to injury.

Edwards made 24 total tackles during the 2022 season, returning a fumble for a touchdown during a road game against Indiana State.

Edwards was named the Grizzlies' defensive scout team player of the year while redshirting in 2019.”

Hate to see this. I always had big expectations for him. I'm sure it doesn't help that he has been so hurt and we have continued to bring in guys who are starting and getting reps. I don't know that there was a path to him having a starting spot this year, but there will come a time that we really miss his addition for depth, I'd bet.

Big ouch.

Interesting he put DE/OLB/TE. He has incredible speed and isn't exactly a natural body type as a DE in a 3-man front. Finding more of a pass rush role might help if he has eyes on pro ball.
But also sounds like maybe he's just open to a change of scenery. Or a fitting grad program.
This was my first thought. Edwards has been productive despite playing more out of position than pretty much any player on the Griz defense. If he can get into defense where he can play a true edge, he reminds me a lot of Daniel Hardy.

We've heard chatter from inside the Griz program that Edwards has been among the fastest players on the team, period, the last few years. And if you remember watching him on kickoff two years ago, he's a full on kamikaze.

If he can get in a scheme where he puts up pass rush numbers and gets some film, stays healthy and balls out on a pro day, don't be surprised one bit if he gets a next level shot. I've said several times that I that Edwards was one of the best pro prospects on the Griz if he was put in the position he could play at the next level. He's thin but he has the length, explosiveness and pure speed scouts look for.

Wouldn't entering the portal with an injury be somewhat of a negative thing? Kind of like buying a banana with a bruise - might be OK, might not...

Back