• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jon from Big Sky Basketball Blog says it best...

MaximumGriz2013

All right all you doom-sayers, I wanted to post something very inspired about what a great season this was, even though it ended with a thud. However, I think that Jon says it all much better than I ever could:

"The bottom line is this - Montana had a great year. With the obstacles they overcame this year - from Marko Kovacevic losing eligibility before the year, to Will Cherry missing time, to Mathias Ward getting hurt - they had no business going 19-1, winning the Big Sky regular season and conference tournament. They simply didn't have the talent (again, with injuries and defections) or depth as they did last year, and that is combined with Weber State being an improved team. The fact that they accomplished what they did is a testament to guys like Will Cherry, Kareem Jamar, Wayne Tinkle, and the program that they have built."
-http://www.bigskybball.com/2013/03/montanas-season-ends-with-with.html

I agree whole-heartedly with Jon, there were games that this team had no business winning but somehow managed to pull out. The OT win at Southern Utah, the OT win versus Montana State, the buzzer beater versus USD, and the incredible free-throw shooting versus Weber State. We were a statistical anomaly, and overachieved like mad this year. Whether it was sheer will-power, blind-luck or a bit of both this was an incredible season that had so many memorable moments. I know I will remember all the incredibly close games we had this year: the double OT loss to South Dakota State, losing to Colorado State by seven on their floor, and taking Davidson to OT without Ward and Cherry for most of the game. The perseverance in the face of adversity of this team astounded me, but I think that eventually it will all catch up. And I believe that is exactly what happened tonight.

There were times where it felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. However, it made for a satisfying season, and I know that because of this I will be able to get my friends to come to a lot more games next year.

I know it feels horrible that our team cannot seem to take the next step, and that we were trounced the last two seasons at the dance. However, I think it is important to remember that we are a big fish in a small pond, and that the continued success this team has had will generate more excitement for next season, so don't tell me we are not making progress. I do agree that we need a much tougher out of conference schedule next year; No more of the Carroll's and Minot State's of the world!

Looking forward, our young guys have already had to step up and show that they were capable of winning without Cherry and Ward, and guess what? They proved it with some incredible wins that helped us host the conference tournament for the second year in a row. We get a Junior College Big for next year and I think we will be okay. Will we be World Beaters? No, we probably won't be, but we should be close to where we ended this year.The Big Sky should be a lot tougher next year, and I look forward to another great season screaming like a lunatic at my computer and in Dahlberg.

:clap: I couldn't agree more! We are in good hands, and this team will be stronger next year! We have a program now, and we can expect to win the conference every year now. Tinkle is doing a great job and is working towards getting us to that next level.

Is it the 2013-2014 season yet?! :thumb:

I totally agree with Jon and you. Great comments. I said the same thing to a handful of the guys at the hotel tonight. I think they appreciated this view, but they are still stinging. The coaches told the team that this loss does not diminish the great season the team just had. Syracuse wasn't a good draw for UM. Syracuse looked very good tonight, and not just because we made them look good. Syracuse could make some noise.

All good comments, although I wish to add:

Perception become reality (for Big Sky conference and Griz)

If the selection committee views the BSC and Griz to be small, slow, noncompetitive then they will give us high seeding and difficult matchups. The higher seeds bring lower odds of winning. Losing the tourney games to the teams (in a noncompetitve manner) from the power conferences reinforces the perception. When UM gets a matchup like Wisconsin that appears to be reasonable, they have to capitalize by being very competitive (i.e. Davidson did so yesterday).

All that aside, congratulations to Wayne Tinkle and the Griz on a good season. Thank you Ward and Cherry.

I agree Jon is pretty much spot on. Having actually watched this team all season they were really only a couple points better than other BSC teams all year. remember they did not have a single good OOC win all season. The fact that they won 19 conference games was due to tenacity, hard work and a bit of "Griz Mystique" rather than overwhelming talent compared to the rest of the league. None of that carried over to the tournament game, and all of the Griz weaknesses were exposed.

Despite how bad the game was I also am excited for next year. The Griz have some very good young talent, with the "Fab 4" sophomores, as well as Wiley and Bradshaw coming in next year.

Some on the game thread posted this was the most or second most embarrassed they have been as a Griz fan. Those people clearly were not around or don't remember Tinkle's second year, when Portland State absolutely humiliated Montana, in Missoula, at the end of the season, 108-56. That game was a turning point for the Griz, and the next year Tinkle and the boys turned things around. I believe 2 years of getting destroyed in the Dance will serve as a similar catalyst, and the kids and coaches will no longer be satisfied with beating BSC teams.

Syracuse played one of its best games and Montana one of its worst. That happens. Different night, different results. Montana on a good night, I think the score could have been within ten, but it just wasn't there for them. Syracuse on a bad night, yeah, Griz could have pulled it out. Syracuse doesn't have a lot of bad nights, but they've had them this season. Last night wasn't one of them. Montana doesn't have a lot of bad nights, but last night was one of them.

Last night was the first game that I lost Andy Martin; he disappeared behind guys not just taller but 80 pounds heavier. Well, that hadn't happened all season.

I think the Griz had a great season. I fell in love with this team and the whole atmosphere they created for themselves and everybody around them. And that's how the season was for me and remains today.

Proud Griz Man said:

If the selection committee views the BSC and Griz to be small, slow, noncompetitive then they will give us high seeding and difficult matchups. The higher seeds bring lower odds of winning. Losing the tourney games to the teams (in a noncompetitve manner) from the power conferences reinforces the perception. When UM gets a matchup like Wisconsin that appears to be reasonable, they have to capitalize by being very competitive (i.e. Davidson did so yesterday).

All that aside, congratulations to Wayne Tinkle and the Griz on a good season. Thank you Ward and Cherry.

This. Wouldn't surprise me at all if NEXT year's BSC winner is in a play-in game.

AZGrizFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

This. Wouldn't surprise me at all if NEXT year's BSC winner is in a play-in game.

Yep. Seth Davis, who picked Montana really had reality shed on him when Gottleib, who picked Montana last year chimed in and stated - Montana got blown out by Wisconsin last year. People will remember these last 2 years if Montana wins again. You have to show you belong to get the benefit of the doubt

putter said:
AZGrizFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Yep. Seth Davis, who picked Montana really had reality shed on him when Gottleib, who picked Montana last year chimed in and stated - Montana got blown out by Wisconsin last year. People will remember these last 2 years if Montana wins again. You have to show you belong to get the benefit of the doubt

Well I think the important thing to remember with this is that if our rpi is high enough, etc. we can still get a decent seed. The issue is going to be that the committee will not do us any favors with higher seeding than we should have like they have the last two years.

P.S. I also hope Cuse runs Cal out of the gym on Saturday, not because I dislike Cal but because it might demonstrate that "yes, Montana had an off night, but Syracuse is also really damn good".

I think if the Griz want to play with the big dogs they need to do what they have in their own control. You CAN'T control how tall you are but you SURE AS HELL can control how big you are. Wanna have a better shot? Try hitting the gym tomorrow! NO, TODAY...HARD!!! How bad do you want it and how bad did this loss REALLY HURT?! The choice is yours Griz.

While GrizNation passes around the rose-colored glasses they continue ignoring the central truth: after all the chest pounding over UM dominating another 20 game conference schedule it all adds up to zero, zip, nada in preparing them for the real world of D-1 basketball... Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results..

AZGrizFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

depends...not if the conf tourney winner is 19-1 and 25-6 overall....get a clue...did u watch the 16seed playin games this year? teams with records of 15-20, 19-15, 20-14 and 21-15...sorry but if you think the griz should have been in the play in game because we got throttled by syarcuse your not thinking clearly. Now if PSU wins the bigsky next year with a record of 18-15, you are right, play in game :thumb:

Maybe I am missing something but didn't the Griz represent pretty well in the bracket busters without Ward and Cherry (for the end) and the team that beat them should've won yesterday against a good BE team? My point being Syracuse is good and a very difficult matchup for the style we play. I won't be surprised if they piss-pound Cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe I may well have PTSD this morning.

That said, all you negative nannies can go to hell. This was an excellent Griz team who had a terrible day. It's unfortunate that it happened on the national stage. But if that's enough for you to want to jump off the wagon, I'll happily give you a shove.

Griz keep up with SDSU, CSU, Davidson.
+
Cherry plays little or no minutes in those games.
+
SDSU, CSU and Davidson have good showings in Tourney.
+
Griz do horrible with Cherry playing most minutes in Tourney.
=
Cherry plays little or no minutes, Griz having good showing in Tourney. :D :thumb:

I gave up alcohol for lent, last night was the first time that I really regretted that choice. That game was just brutale to watch and it couldn't get over fast enought for me.

That being said I am very proud of this team and the program. They had a heck of a year, considering the adversity they had to overcome, they exceeded expectations.

The thing I liked most about this year was just how much fun it was to watch this team. We lost our big guy before the year started and at times we could really have used another big body, but I have to say that playing small ball like we did was a blast to watch.

Tough game last night but that by no means makes me forget just how much I enjoyed this season. Thanks for the memories boys!

EverettGriz said:
I believe I may well have PTSD this morning.

That said, all you negative nannies can go to hell. This was an excellent Griz team who had a terrible day. It's unfortunate that it happened on the national stage. But if that's enough for you to want to jump off the wagon, I'll happily give you a shove.
:clap: :thumb: how can we figure out to give bgrizzled that little shove he really needs?

temp said:
I gave up alcohol for lent, last night was the first time that I really regretted that choice. That game was just brutale to watch and it couldn't get over fast enought for me.

That being said I am very proud of this team and the program. They had a heck of a year, considering the adversity they had to overcome, they exceeded expectations.

The thing I liked most about this year was just how much fun it was to watch this team. We lost our big guy before the year started and at times we could really have used another big body, but I have to say that playing small ball like we did was a blast to watch.

Tough game last night but that by no means makes me forget just how much I enjoyed this season. Thanks for the memories boys!

Yah, fun. But in the end we still have last night. I liken it to having the best courtship ever. And then you show up at your wedding and your fiance is fucking your best man on the alter of the church. You'll NEVER get that taste out of your mouth, no matter how good the lead up was. :lol:

SeaGrizluvr said:
temp said:

Yah, fun. But in the end we still have last night. I liken it to having the best courtship ever. And then you show up at your wedding and your fiance is f***[*] your best man on the alter of the church. You'll NEVER get that taste out of your mouth, no matter how good the lead up was. :lol:

Hey man I can't blame you for feeling that way. It was a rough night, but I never expected to make it to the final 4, or even the sweet 16. Hell I didn't really think we were going to win last night. Would it have been nice if we had scored another 30 points? Of course it would have been, but I personally won't let those 30 points ruin a great season.

Back