• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jim O'Day blog: Realignment taking toll on FCS brand

MrTitleist

Staff member
Good blog by Jim O'Day here:
http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2013/04/more-realignment-changes-taking-major-toll-on-fcs-football/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nitpicky alert: GSU has the 6 titles, ASU has the 3.

Great article...and I think he's spot on.

O'Day doesn't know what he's talking about. Never did. Never will. Ha-ha. Actually, he's a good friend of mine. We talked today, but not about this.

I'm happy to view and consider his opinion, but I felt previously and still feel his concerns about other good teams moving up were more alarmist than anything else.

The Haley guy is not knowledgeable, but at least I've now seen one person, with some knowledge of FCS, say he thinks FCS has bad things happening, which could impact the future. In my view, Haley is not on top of FCS (actually sorta a dummy sometimes).

I guess we'll see.

Too funny, PR saying "someone doesn't know what he's talking about" and someone is "actually sorta a dummy sometimes"

priceless :coffee:

grizindabox said:
Too funny, PR saying "someone doesn't know what he's talking about" and someone is "actually sorta a dummy sometimes"

Too funny. You are one of biggest dummies on the board. When was the last time you made a post with some substance or information in it? Are you still as WSU football fan? I recall when you said you quit coming to UM football games several years ago.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Too funny. You are one of biggest dummies on the board. When was the last time you made a post with some substance or information in it? Are you still as WSU football fan? I recall when you said you quit coming to UM football games several years ago.

Well, guess our posts are the same, lack any substance :coffee: ...I also did not say that I quit going to Griz games, but gave up my season tickets, but I am sure you will find some stat to prove how correct you are. I will also add that I am not a fan of WSU.

:eek:ff: :eek:ff: :eek:ff:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

P.R. You might be as territorial and defensive as myself, but I doubt it. Anyway since you seem to be in the know...I posted 4 or 5 days ago about Majestic Plaza. To my surprise no one commented or took notice to my questions?? I was curious about the idea itself (birthplace) and the steps involved. In summary when is it paid for? Can you educate me on this? I know I'm off topic, but...W.G.A.F.

Recognize that PR and Mayor will still be defending the BSC and Montana's membership when the other members are Western Oregon, Western St., NM Highlands, Caroll, Dixie St, UNC, etc., and the schollie limit is 30. Step by step, JOD's opinion of the future of FCS he expressed three years ago is unfolding before our eyes as the relevance of FCS steadily diminishes; only the blind or those with the status quo agenda can't see it.

PlayerRep said:
O'Day doesn't know what he's talking about. Never did. Never will. Ha-ha. Actually, he's a good friend of mine. We talked today, but not about this.

I'm happy to view and consider his opinion, but I felt previously and still feel his concerns about other good teams moving up were more alarmist than anything else.

The Haley guy is not knowledgeable, but at least I've now seen one person, with some knowledge of FCS, say he thinks FCS has bad things happening, which could impact the future. In my view, Haley is not on top of FCS (actually sorta a dummy sometimes).

I guess we'll see.

Please PR, are you serious? I agree with you on alot of things but to say O'Day doesn't know what he's talking about in regard to this subject, and Haley is not knowledgeable about FCS football is ludicrous. They have an immense amount of knowledge having been at the alter of FCS football for years. You may not agree with them but to diminish their knowledge is beneath you.

It has long been believed that the face of FCS football would be changing as the face of BCS changed. Well, it is changing. Just not in the way I thought it would. There has not been any NCAA mandate to change the status of the power conferences....yet. But the fact that many powerhouse FCS teams are making the decision to move to FBS speaks for itself.

I am not advocating to move or to stay. There is much to debate on either side of the discussion. But UM and MSU should be keeping their finger on the pulse of FCS football for I fear that what Jim said may come true and FCS will be greatly watered down and diminshed as a relevant brand of football. There are still many powerhouse teams left in FCS but I suspect they are all monitoring the situation and getting prepared for whatever is coming.

PR doesn't want to move up because then he'll just be a "small fish" in a "big pond". As it stands now, he's pretty much the authority on all things FCS and he never misses an opportunity to let others know.

grizfan47 said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess we'll see.

Please PR, are you serious? I agree with you on alot of things but to say O'Day doesn't know what he's talking about in regard to this subject, and Haley is not knowledgeable about FCS football is ludicrous. They have an immense amount of knowledge having been at the alter of FCS football for years. You may not agree with them but to diminish their knowledge is beneath you.

It has long been believed that the face of FCS football would be changing as the face of BCS changed. Well, it is changing. Just not in the way I thought it would. There has not been any NCAA mandate to change the status of the power conferences....yet. But the fact that many powerhouse FCS teams are making the decision to move to FBS speaks for itself.

I am not advocating to move or to stay. There is much to debate on either side of the discussion. But UM and MSU should be keeping their finger on the pulse of FCS football for I fear that what Jim said may come true and FCS will be greatly watered down and diminshed as a relevant brand of football. There are still many powerhouse teams left in FCS but I suspect they are all monitoring the situation and getting prepared for whatever is coming.

Please tell me you didn't really think I was dissing O'Day. Read what I said. I hope I don't have to start using smiling faces in my posts. I disagree on Haley. He was a reporter for the Trenton Times for 22 years before coming to this new job. I don't even bother to read their stuff anymore, because much of it is so bad. Alot of people feel the same way. The prior executive directors were much better. Teams move up, new teams join FCS, things change. So what, life changes. All of the realignment at the FBS level is causing alot of changes in the landscape and otherwise. I'm sorry, I'm just not an alarmist like alot of you are.

The Big Sky conference is currently very strong. Some posters like to diss Fullerton, but in point of fact, he looked ahead and made some terrific moves several years ago.

The SoCon and CAA have some issues now. However, I liked this quote on the SoCon:

"This league has historically been able to reinvent itself. I'm sure it was pretty bleak when Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee decided they were leaving. And then 20 years after that, when North Carolina, Duke and Maryland said we're starting a new league. We'll be fine, we're going to bounce back. I have every reason to believe that the Southern Conference will be a viable Division I conference for many years to come."

kemajic said:
Recognize that PR and Mayor will still be defending the BSC and Montana's membership when the other members are Western Oregon, Western St., NM Highlands, Caroll, Dixie St, UNC, etc., and the schollie limit is 30. Step by step, JOD's opinion of the future of FCS he expressed three years ago is unfolding before our eyes as the relevance of FCS steadily diminishes; only the blind or those with the status quo agenda can't see it.

And 20 years from now, Kem will still be advocating that UM join the WAC, and babbling about Idaho.

PlayerRep said:
grizfan47 said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess we'll see.

Please tell me you didn't really think I was dissing O'Day. Read what I said. I hope I don't have to start using smiling faces in my posts. I disagree on Haley. He was a reporter for the Trenton Times for 22 years before coming to this new job. I don't even bother to read their stuff anymore, because much of it is so bad. Alot of people feel the same way. The prior executive directors were much better. Teams move up, new teams join FCS, things change. So what, life changes. All of the realignment at the FBS level is causing alot of changes in the landscape and otherwise. I'm sorry, I'm just not an alarmist like alot of you are.

The Big Sky conference is currently very strong. Some posters like to diss Fullerton, but in point of fact, he looked ahead and made some terrific moves several years ago.

The SoCon and CAA have some issues now. However, I liked this quote on the SoCon:

"This league has historically been able to reinvent itself. I'm sure it was pretty bleak when Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee decided they were leaving. And then 20 years after that, when North Carolina, Duke and Maryland said we're starting a new league. We'll be fine, we're going to bounce back. I have every reason to believe that the Southern Conference will be a viable Division I conference for many years to come."
So, basically, the SoCon has gone from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and now to 4th tier relevance.

PlayerRep said:
All of the realignment at the FBS level is causing alot of changes in the landscape and otherwise. I'm sorry, I'm just not an alarmist like alot of you are.

a) what makes someone wanting the Griz to move up an alarmist?
b) Strong? Shirley you can't be serious. :?

PlayerRep said:
O'Day doesn't know what he's talking about. Never did. Never will. .....
The Haley guy is not knowledgeable...Haley is not on top of FCS (actually sorta a dummy sometimes).
Wow. One guy was the chairman of the selection committee while the other is the director for the most recognized FCS sports page. But you--a message board super hero--somehow knows more than both of them.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
The Haley guy is not knowledgeable...Haley is not on top of FCS (actually sorta a dummy sometimes).
Wow. One guy was the chairman of the selection committee while the other is the director for the most recognized FCS sports page. But you--a message board super hero--somehow knows more than both of them.

If someone disagrees with your findings you try to discredit them. Legal 102

billings_poke said:
garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:

If someone disagrees with your findings you try to discredit them. Legal 102

See also: Narcissistic personality disorder

• Reacting to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
    Taking advantage of others to reach own goals
    Exaggerating own importance, achievements, and talents
    Imagining unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance
    Requiring constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
    Becoming jealous easily
    Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others
    Being obsessed with self
    Pursuing mainly selfish goals
    Trouble keeping healthy relationships
    Becoming easily hurt and rejected
    Setting goals that are unrealistic
    Wanting "the best" of everything
    Appearing unemotional

So someone fill in the blanks for me. If FCS loses James Madison, Georgia Southern and Appalachin State, and Old Dominion which is making the transition as well, what teams are most likely to replace them in the playoffs?

griz4life said:
So someone fill in the blanks for me. If FCS loses James Madison, Georgia Southern and Appalachin State, and Old Dominion which is making the transition as well, what teams are most likely to replace them in the playoffs?

University of Montana and Northern Arizona University are two that I can think of.

If people thought support for the FCS is bad already, it's going to be awful when the programs are gone. Basically, it'll be Montana (25,236), North Dakota State (18,516), and Montana State (17,627) leading the wayin fan support with the majority of the other programs struggling to average 10,000 per season.

Back