• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jets resign Lex to one-year deal

Grizmayor

Marty keeps a Montana connection in his backfield...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/21436/source-jets-re-sign-fb-hilliard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bronco said:
If I was Lex

I'd use the article and comments as motivation

It was not kind

WOW no kidding. The comments were harsh! Tough duty playing in NYC. Philly is about the same.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/3/13/4100620/lex-hilliard-re-signed-for-one-year-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20121230_pjc_al9_170.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Fullback Lex Hilliard has agreed to re-sign with the New York Jets for a one-year deal. This isn't anything spectacular. The terms of the deal aren't out yet, but I assume it's close to the veteran's minimum, if not the minimum on the button.

Hilliard wasn't spectacular last year, but he wasn't godawful, at least in my opinion. I'll be interested to see how Marty Mornhinweg uses him in the new West Coast Offense. Hilliard hasn't had more than five catches in a year since 2009, when he had twenty under Dan Henning's Air Coryell system.

I'd prefer to see a player with more upside than Hilliard, but I'll trust that Mornhinweg knows what's he's doing until he proves otherwise.

What do you think about Hilliard re-signing?

whoever in hauk's regime who told hilliard to 'bulk up' did the guy a disfavor. he would be a decent nfl running back if he slimmed down and used his strength to avoid contact, not engage it.

or so it seems.

argh! said:
whoever in hauk's regime who told hilliard to 'bulk up' did the guy a disfavor. he would be a decent nfl running back if he slimmed down and used his strength to avoid contact, not engage it.

or so it seems.

I think it was Ron Kowalski that was running backs coach in 2004 and 2005 before he retired; Lex having an injury that precluded his participation in the 2006 campaign. Can't remember or find out who was the running backs coach in 2007. Mick Delaney came on board in 2008.

I think Steve Axeman was but the QB coach in 2006; having gone on subsequently to: http://www.govandals.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1088693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Jets suck so badly that neither their ownership, coaches or fans have any business being critical of any players they signed late last year. How can Hilliard hurt a program that accomplished nothing? Being ambivalent about the new guys is to suggest that they would rather re-live 2012. The Jets just suck and have nothing to be proud of. Hilliard wont solve their problems, but he is a step in the right direction, which is to replace damn near everybody and everything they did last year. Poor Hilliard. Maybe he can find a way out of there.... They should sign a former Griz QB now (any of them except overthRoper) and maybe they cold turn things around.

In case anyone cares about the facts. Hilliard is listed at 5'11", 235 on the Jets and Vikings rosters, and 5'11", 240 on the Dolphins roster. He was 5'11", 231 at his pro day/combine. He was listed at 6', 240 on the 2007 UM roster.

What I want to know is who advised him to shrink one inch from college?

Hilliard is valuable as a utility back because he can play both running back and fullback (i.e. he can block), he can catch the ball, he hangs onto the ball, he's good on special teams, he has a good attitude, he's not expensive, and he's coachable and a team player.

On one of the televised games last fall, the announcer dissed him for running the wrong way (qb went the other way), and "causing" the fumble (because the qb fumbled). Only problem was that the qb admitted after the game that he, not Lex, ran the wrong way.

Hilliard may not be a star, but he's having a very nice NFL career so far.

PlayerRep said:
In case anyone cares about the facts. Hilliard is listed at 5'11", 235 on the Jets and Vikings rosters, and 5'11", 240 on the Dolphins roster. He was 5'11", 231 at his pro day/combine. He was listed at 6', 240 on the 2007 UM roster.

What I want to know is who advised him to shrink one inch from college?

Hilliard is valuable as a utility back because he can play both running back and fullback (i.e. he can block), he can catch the ball, he hangs onto the ball, he's good on special teams, he has a good attitude, he's not expensive, and he's coachable and a team player.

On one of the televised games last fall, the announcer dissed him for running the wrong way (qb went the other way), and "causing" the fumble (because the qb fumbled). Only problem was that the qb admitted after the game that he, not Lex, ran the wrong way.

Hilliard may not be a star, but he's having a very nice NFL career so far.

Was just going to post pretty much the same thing. Lex has built himself a niche in the league who can provide depth at RB, FB and play ST. He is a good FB he just needs to improve on picking up the blitz. Running backs have become pretty dispensable in the league. He'll have a longer career if he continues as that unique hybrid type of player IMO.

Good for him. I assume he has been in the league long enough to qualify for the pension. That is a nice thing to have in your back pocket down the road.

One must remember as well he was trying to learn three different playbooks last year. He was in camp with the Vikes and it looked like he was going to make the team, then was picked up by the Pats and played in a couple games, then finished with the Jets. No excuses, a block is the same for every team and you still have to catch the ball. Let's see how he does in Marty's offense.

Back