• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jamaal Jones

Henderson as well...

We have an AMAZING wide receive core and we don't fucking really utilize them enough until crunch time!!

UGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! :shock:

THIS...big time. COACHES!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING? Use our good qb and great receivers on some screens... slants... cross routes .. any f'n thing and then you can try to run the small backs into the middle of the plugged o-line for minimal gains once in awhile if you feel you need to do that. I truly believe we have wasted a couple losses and are missing out on what could be if you utilize what we have available in our aerial game. Plus... JJ could and would scramble for 2-3 first downs himself per game likely if no open receivers. Give up on this dive/trap first mentality every f'n set of downs and play some football like the Griz are capable of. What a waste. Yes.. we have a decent running game when the online feels like showing up but quick mid range passes NEED to be a part of our offense which has been severely anemic against decent teams unless we are in desperation mode.

Jones is one of the few receivers that gets open on every play. He also really hustles on kick teams to be the first guy down field. Unfortunately he still drops too many passes, especially touchdown passes. If he could focus better he could be really special.

Grizbeer said:
Jones is one of the few receivers that gets open on every play. He also really hustles on kick teams to be the first guy down field. Unfortunately he still drops too many passes, especially touchdown passes. If he could focus better he could be really special.

In my opinion, he is special.

Not talking smalk GB, just expressing my thoughts. Thank you for adding your thoughts.

Jamaal Jones is a STUD!

PhxGriz said:
Grizbeer said:

In my opinion, he is special.

Not talking smalk GB, just expressing my thoughts. Thank you for adding your thoughts.

Jamaal Jones is a STUD!
I appreciate your perspective, and I have no reason to run this kid down, as I think next year, if this team can improve, he will be awesome. At this point he has great potential, but honestly, way too many drops to be considered special. Part of the reason he is so open and gets so many passes thrown to him, is he still drops too many passes. Henderson is a special player. Jones has potential to be our best receiver, but you can't have as many drops as he does, especially in the end zone. Honestly if you go back through every game the Griz struggled you will find a dropped touchdown by Jones. hopefully he can solve this and becomes the player he has potential to be.

Jamaal Jones is really turning into the perfect complimentary WR to Ellis Henderson's explosive play-making. One word to describe this kids game is SMOOTH. Runs solid routes, catches everything with his hands and has sneaky speed to get deep. He is getting better every game. Can we PLEASE get him in the endzone already?! Yes he has had drops in the endzone but all were extremely difficult catches that he will eventually make. Oh ya, Jones like Henderson is only a Sophmore!

StumptownGriz said:
Jamaal Jones is really turning into the perfect complimentary WR to Ellis Henderson's explosive play-making. One word to describe this kids game is SMOOTH. Runs solid routes, catches everything with his hands and has sneaky speed to get deep. He is getting better every game. Can we PLEASE get him in the endzone already?! Yes he has had drops in the endzone but all were extremely difficult catches that he will eventually make. Oh ya, Jones like Henderson is only a Sophmore!
While I certainly agree with most everything you said about J. Jones, I think his attempt at one handing the 3rd down slant pass from Johnson on our opening drive against EWU was sloppy. We need him to be a possesion receiver on that pass and take it in for 6. His talent probably worked against him on that play.

GottaluvGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:
While I certainly agree with most everything you said about J. Jones, I think his attempt at one handing the 3rd down slant pass from Johnson on our opening drive against EWU was sloppy. We need him to be a possesion receiver on that pass and take it in for 6. His talent probably worked against him on that play.
I totally forgot about that play. True, he needed to haul that in but I think he was hearing footsteps and kind of gave up on that ball which absolutely would've been a TD. Not a good play from #6. I wonder if he is putting to much pressure on himself to get that first TD and that is contributing to some of his endzone drops. I think he'll get that fixed soon though, and he can take the EWU game as a confidence builder individually speaking. Overall I thought Jamaal Jones played really well.

StumptownGriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:
I totally forgot about that play. True, he needed to haul that in but I think he was hearing footsteps and kind of gave up on that ball which absolutely would've been a TD. Not a good play from #6. I wonder if he is putting to much pressure on himself to get that first TD and that is contributing to some of his endzone drops. I think he'll get that fixed soon though, and he can take the EWU game as a confidence builder individually speaking. Overall I thought Jamaal Jones played really well.
We all agree that he is a good one and he played a heck of a game. Keep in mind, if he would have made the one handed grab, I would be calling him the best receiver I had seen since Marc Mariani. :lol:

so much skill position talent with Jones, Henderson, Van, Canada, Counts and the group of tight ends.... so little coaching to utilize those guys.... just let Jordy run the show and see how productive this team is on offense.... 4th quarter against EWU and the tying TD drive against Poly only point to the effectiveness that is attainable.... :thumb:

GottaluvGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:
We all agree that he is a good one and he played a heck of a game. Keep in mind, if he would have made the one handed grab, I would be calling him the best receiver I had seen since Marc Mariani. :lol:

The TV didn't show it, but I thought his jersey got pulled the way he was twisted reaching for the ball with one hand. I could easily be wrong though.

I think Henderson is awesome, but was most surprised by Jones, since Henderson was a known quantity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

And this is what is so disapointing, we have so many great players on this team and we go three and out the last two weeks trying nothing but running plays. It's like having Payton Manning and all you do is run plays until its too late for a comeback.

10 to 7 and 6? Yes this has to happen! If JJ doesn't throw at least one pass to either 6 or 7 on every set of downs, This team is F&*kin up!

Jones has the ability to be a great Griz receiver but until Gragg, Hynson, and the offensive line get their collective heads out of their butts JJ's hands are tied. This whole thing is tiresome. While receivers are running routes JJ is running for his life :evil:

StumptownGriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:

I don't know what happened on that play, and I didn't have a great view of it, but I don't think he was hearing footsteps (because I don't think there was anyone in front of him). The play looked odd. I wondered if the defender had hooked his other arm to keep him from bringing it forward.

For those saying he drops the ball too much, what drops are you talking about? I remember one in the north (west) end zone several weeks ago at home. What else?

PlayerRep said:
StumptownGriz said:
GottaluvGriz said:
StumptownGriz said:

I don't know what happened on that play, and I didn't have a great view of it, but I don't think he was hearing footsteps (because I don't think there was anyone in front of him). The play looked odd. I wondered if the defender had hooked his other arm to keep him from bringing it forward.

For those saying he drops the ball too much, what drops are you talking about? I remember one in the north (west) end zone several weeks ago at home. What else?

Player Rep, I seem to remember him being between two defenders. One coming in from what would be his left side. I do not believe a defender needs to come from the front of a player for him to "hear footsteps". I think Jones may have caught a glimpse of the player with his peripheral vision and thought he may have been closer than he actually was causing him to lose focus on the ball. Bottom line Jones should have made the catch and scored, but he has made his fair share of plays this season and will continue to make more. Very talented player.

Back