• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

It wasn't the play calling.

grizaremoregooder

It wasn't the play calling it was Cal Poly's defense, that is a great bunch and they came ready to play. Right before half Mick and the crew won the game for the team by running the clock out IMO (by the way, I was yelling for a pass too). The offense was pinned inside the 5 and had been going nowhere, no need to make a mistake. That decision killed enough time off of the clock to prevent Poly from doing any more damage in the first half. This coaching decision most likely saved a field goal attempt that would have won the game for Poly. Jordan Johnson had a couple batted balls, his first interception and was held in check for the most part by this defense. The only time Montana had ANY success throwing the ball was when Poly went into prevent. #41 for Poly is a beast he is as good as anyone in the Big Sky. I take my hat off to the kids AND the coaching staff for a game well played. I have a feeling they will see these guys again in a couple of months. You can hate all you want but that was a damn fun game to watch and this team is 6-1 with Mick calling the shots.

grizaremoregooder said:
It wasn't the play calling it was Cal Poly's defense, that is a great bunch and they came ready to play. Right before half Mick and the crew won the game for the team by running the clock out IMO (by the way, I was yelling for a pass too). The offense was pinned inside the 5 and had been going nowhere, no need to make a mistake. That decision killed enough time off of the clock to prevent Poly from doing any more damage in the first half. This coaching decision most likely saved a field goal attempt that would have won the game for Poly. Jordan Johnson had a couple batted balls, his first interception and was held in check for the most part by this defense. The only time Montana had ANY success throwing the ball was when Poly went into prevent. #41 for Poly is a beast he is as good as anyone in the Big Sky. I take my hat off to the kids AND the coaching staff for a game well played. I have a feeling they will see these guys again in a couple of months. You can hate all you want but that was a damn fun game to watch and this team is 6-1 with Mick calling the shots.

Cal Poly had a damn good defense, but the play calling was atrocious at times. If you can't run the ball - then Don't. I was watching the game head on and there were NO holes. The ends were not working either. Pass the damn ball and keep them honest. Then you can go back to the run. Cal poly only has about 6 sacks this year. Their DB's are not stellar players. Take what they give you. Why do we think we have to play Bobby ball. Win however you can and if that is through the air - then great. The fans seem to like it also. The TE's are open all damn day if you use them. I am no genius, but a third grader with a burnt sienna crayon could be more creative than our OC's right now. Happy we got the win, but they better learn from this game. As I said to start off - Cal Poly was a good defense.

Copper Griz said:
grizaremoregooder said:

Cal Poly had a damn good defense, but the play calling was atrocious at times. If you can't run the ball - then Don't. I was watching the game head on and there were NO holes. The ends were not working either. Pass the damn ball and keep them honest. Then you can go back to the run. Cal poly only has about 6 sacks this year. Their DB's are not stellar players. Take what they give you. Why do we think we have to play Bobby ball. Win however you can and if that is through the air - then great. The fans seem to like it also. The TE's are open all damn day if you use them. I am no genius, but a third grader with a burnt sienna crayon could be more creative than our OC's right now. Happy we got the win, but they better learn from this game. As I said to start off - Cal Poly was a good defense.
I thought a big reason why they lost to NAU was because they went away from the run too early. Coaches put the ball in Johnson's hands and they got crushed. Pound em, wear em down, play field position worked for MSU pretty well the next week against that same team. The Griz did beat Poly in the end by throwing the football. I just think people are being a little too critical with a 6-1 football team that's all. The coaches must be doing something right which they are.

Are you sure, cause I am positive everyone in the stadium knew the draw on 3rd and nine was coming. And how about all those bootlegs the D ends didn't buy? The idea is to run plays until the other team can stop it, not trying them and hoping they will work eventually.

The players won this game, despite the poor coaching. Play calling was pathetic at best until they had to go to the 2 minute offense. 1-3 on 4th down plays. 2 of them should have been field goals. This coaching staff needs to get it together or we will get smoked by EWU and the Cats, or more. This one is purely on the players. Hats off to them despite a poorly coached game.

I always thought the goal was to win the one on one battles and impose your style of play on the defense by getting your plays to work even when the defense knows what is coming. I don't think the goal is to do what the defense whats you to.

I would agree about giving up on the run too early against NAU. the difference was that JJ was getting pressure all day long in Flagstaff. CP's D line gave JJ all the time in world to throw the ball today. Totally different game situation. I personally thought the play calling was awful for most of the game. CP's defense was impressive, but our vanilla offense may have made them look more impressive than they really were. Just my opinion...

YttriumGriz39 said:
I always thought the goal was to win the one on one battles and impose your style of play on the defense by getting your plays to work even when the defense knows what is coming. I don't think the goal is to do what the defense whats you to.
Yeah, maybe when shit is working. We were running then they started stopping us but instead of switching it up to keep them honest and then maybe going back to the run, we kept doing the same thing they had already adjusted to. The three plays when we were backed up against the end zone (when JJ got a false start) were an absolute joke...three straight runs that went nowhere and not even an attempt to pass and hit a TE or a RB on a check down. I'll give CPs defense all the credit in the world because they played a great game and are the hardest hitters I've seen all year but damn, our offensive play calling was down right garbage for a majority of the game.

I think the Griz used, what,6 different offensive plays all day... I guess they didn't want to give EWU a lot of different looks on film for next week.

And yes it was partially the playcalling although I give Poly a ton of credit. They were disciplined and played very well. Made Montana look like a high school offense all day. All I can say is Scott Gregg better coach these guys up because they are very inconsistent. If you don't trust a mammoth O-Line with a big fullback to get 2 yards inside the 5 yard line twice in a game something is wrong.

I'm fine with this thread, but this looks like it will be the parade of no-nothings and people who never played the game.

PlayerRep said:
I'm fine with this thread, but this looks like it will be the parade of no-nothings and people who never played the game.

So says the d-bag that started another 4th down critic thread...you think our opinions about never trying for chip shot field goals and constantly f***ing up 4th downs is going to suddenly change...the Griz are lucky the coaches did not cost them the game.

It looks like you are nothing more than a troll...how is that coaching career working out for you dumb@$$...you are like the Al Bundy of eGriz constantly reliving your old glory days that in your mind were hall of fame but in reality not so much just like your coaching career and football knowledge so STFU already

1Griz_Fan said:
PlayerRep said:

So says the d-bag that started another 4th down critic thread...you think our opinions about never trying for chip shot field goals and constantly f***ing up 4th downs is going to suddenly change...the Griz are lucky the coaches did not cost them the game.

It looks like you are nothing more than a troll...how is that coaching career working out for you dumb@$$...you are like the Al Bundy of eGriz constantly reliving your old glory days that in your mind were hall of fame but in reality not so much just like your coaching career and football knowledge so STFU already
Don't feed the troll.

RobGriz said:
1Griz_Fan said:
PlayerRep said:

Don't feed the troll.

Good point, I cannot stand that idiot, bet he is a fat@$$ grumpy old man. I added him to my foe list so now I never have to read another post by his loser @$$ again. Thank you eGriz for that option!!!

1Griz_Fan said:
RobGriz said:
1Griz_Fan said:
PlayerRep said:

Don't feed the troll.

Good point, I cannot stand that idiot, bet he is a fat@$$ grumpy old man!
Well he's a lawyer so...

putter said:
I think the Griz used, what,6 different offensive[/b] plays all day... I guess they didn't want to give EWU a lot of different looks on film for next week.

And yes it was partially the playcalling although I give Poly a ton of credit. They were disciplined and played very well. Made Montana look like a high school offense all day. All I can say is Scott Gregg better coach these guys up because they are very inconsistent. If you don't trust a mammoth O-Line with a big fullback to get 2 yards inside the 5 yard line twice in a game something is wrong.

This. Dead on putter. 4 plays - 2 1/2 yards is really the most overlooked aspect of this win. It really says it all. For smash mouth mentality - not a good thing. I hope our O Line starts to gel. Good job of pass protection. But not many holes.

Yes, he is a lawyer, but also was a very good college football player. That said, I don't agree that you have to play college football to have a credible opinion of a football game.

yes cal poly was good on defense,,,,,,,,yes, the play calling was poor...poke and prod the defense for it's weakness and then exploit it....

The offensive line got hammered on all game and JJ had a bad day. Cal Poly has a very physical defense, and with they're speed punched us right in the mouth. No "DOLA"yesterday
just an old fashion trench kickin. With that said the defense buckled down as did special teams and played hard all game. They gave the offense plenty of chances and finally the sun shined through and the offense came through. This is a huge win for us. Not only did it build character but will provide very good film study. Personally I'm glad we had this type of game. Next week we find out how good this team is when it plays well in ALL three phases and not just two.
Go Griz!!

Latest posts

Back