• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

It starts with the O-line

BWahlberg

DONOR
Biggest thing to correct this week is getting our OL back on the same page.

As I walked into my office this morning one of my co-workers says to me, "It would have been nice if the O-line had let everyone else know they were going to take the night off before the game started." A strong point, and a major issue we saw unfold in that game.

This weekend PSU comes to town with the 2nd most sacks in the conference at 17 (MSU leads with 19).

Our O-line has to improve dramatically from their NAU showing and fast. As I look at the NAU stats there were 6 sacks and 11 recorded QB hurries. And while the stats don't apparently record this I'd guess there were probably 3 or 4 batted passes as well. So about 50% of Jordy's passing attempts were under some sort of duress.

BWahlberg said:

As I walked into my office this morning one of my co-workers says to me, "It would have been nice if the O-line had let everyone else know they were going to take the night off before the game started." A strong point, and a major issue we saw unfold in that game.

This weekend PSU comes to town with the 2nd most sacks in the conference at 17 (MSU leads with 19).

Our O-line has to improve dramatically from their NAU showing and fast. As I look at the NAU stats there were 6 sacks and 11 recorded QB hurries. And while the stats don't apparently record this I'd guess there were probably 3 or 4 batted passes as well. So about 50% of Jordy's passing attempts were under some sort of duress.
I'm sure Scott Gragg is more upset than anybody. He's not going to be our next head coach if he doesn't show improvement from here on out. One game at a time. Go Griz!

BWahlberg said:

Yep
In this case the "O" in "O" line stands for "O" my god they sucked. If they only knew they would lay an egg that bad they should have just left JJ at home and do a round robin with the other QB's, because it did not matter too much who was back there. The results would have been the same.

I agree and will add that our secondary better shape up as well. Open nau receivers all night long. Wide open!

Griz2k said:
I agree and will add that our secondary better shape up as well. Open nau receivers all night long. Wide open!
Yep
And why not, the QB had ALLLLLLLLLL the time he wanted to throw or run or hand off or call dad to see what he should do. No pressure most of the night

grizare#1 said:
Griz2k said:
Yep
And why not, the QB had ALLLLLLLLLL the time he wanted to throw or run or hand off or call dad to see what he should do. No pressure most of the night

hey now! thats Ty playing Paulson ball..

Actually as bad as they were they still only gave up two touchdowns and that was in the first half.
It still comes down to how bad the "O" line performed not giving any blocking for running and no time for Jordy to pick them apart.

One thing that I think will help out with the O-line and the offense would be less attempts at stretching the field, which the coaches seemed to want to do all night. Some quicker passes, screens, etc will help our passing game and help keep our QB from getting hit as much. Once you get that mix back in then the defense is guessing again. NAU knew most all of the pass attempts were going to be long/deep ones so they sat back and covered the home-run shots.

Quicker pass plays that take less time to develop might help alleviate some QB pressure, sacks, and knock downs. It'll also slow some blitzing, which I assume PSU is going to do since the current M.O. of slowing the offense is pressuring Jordy.

What puzzles me is these aren't freshman lineman out there. What we have 2 Srs 2 Jrs and a soph? They never really looked comfortable all night. To me that is a very concerning issue that needs to be figured out immediately. This is squarely on Scott Gragg's shoulders. IMO the offense we saw Saturday night had no resemblence of the one we saw in the previous 3 games. What gives?

What I also wonder is if they re-evaluate Trevor Poole at guard. Trevor had a pretty bad game, but he's a tackle who is kind of stuck playing guard right now. I know they want their best linemen out there and it's a bit of a conundrum what to do. Rotate Poole and Schmaing at tackle and get Weyer or Hines back at guard?

Not sure the answer, I'd hope Gragg will be testing some different looks out this week.

BWahlberg said:
One thing that I think will help out with the O-line and the offense would be less attempts at stretching the field, which the coaches seemed to want to do all night. Some quicker passes, screens, etc will help our passing game and help keep our QB from getting hit as much. Once you get that mix back in then the defense is guessing again. NAU knew most all of the pass attempts were going to be long/deep ones so they sat back and covered the home-run shots.

Quicker pass plays that take less time to develop might help alleviate some QB pressure, sacks, and knock downs. It'll also slow some blitzing, which I assume PSU is going to do since the current M.O. of slowing the offense is pressuring Jordy.
Talk about telling the other team what our game plan was beforehand. I read the day before the game where Delaney was quoted as saying that "we would take our shots down the field because NAU played so much man to man coverage."

hollybear1 said:
BWahlberg said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ! King of the obvious!

Are you 12?

GottaluvGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

Talk about telling the other team what our game plan was beforehand. I read the day before the game where Delaney was quoted as saying that "we would take our shots down the field because NAU played so much man to man coverage."

Right, and that only works when the QB has time. NAU clearly had a great game plan to minimize the deep attack.

GottaluvGriz said:
BWahlberg said:

I caught that too. What a dumb thing to say and then back it up by actually doing it.

Why would we not try throwing a few swing passes to Van in that game. It would have got the ball out of JJ's hands quick, taken pressure off the Oline, and also get Van out in space right away, since our line failed to block anyone. Also what about throwing a few screens to Van. He seams like he would be a perfect weapon for the HB screen. Our coaches didn't try this once? :wtf:

Grizzly Oredigger said:
BWahlberg said:

I'm sure Scott Gragg is more upset than anybody. He's not going to be our next head coach if he doesn't show improvement from here on out. One game at a time. Go Griz!

he is not going to be our next HC regardless

BWahlberg said:

Holy crap I was saying this all night. WTH does every pass need to be a 30+ yarder. Throw shorter passes and let the receivers work the YAC numbers.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Why would we not try throwing a few swing passes to Van in that game. It would have got the ball out of JJ's hands quick, taken pressure off the Oline, and also get Van out in space right away, since our line failed to block anyone. Also what about throwing a few screens to Van. He seams like he would be a perfect weapon for the HB screen. Our coaches didn't try this once? :wtf:

Exactly! A screen on a couple third downs would have killed their blitzes. C'mon two offensive coordinators!

Latest posts

Back