• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is the secondary really that bad?????

Baller1

I don't think so. Everybody and their cousin already knows that Vernon Smith and Dave Decoite can play so we won't even start to discuss that. But what about Nathan Adkins? I don't know if anyone remebers but I believe it was the Polson scrimmage in which he had two pics which he returned for touchdowns. O.K. given it was windy but that only means he had to make better judgements on where the ball was gonna be. He's shown great speed and athletic talent and is a young player who will get better every day. Lets not let his age scare us away from someone who could be the suprise of the year in the Griz defense. The only knock I have on him is that he is only 5'8" but that doesn't always matter. Look at Damon Parker and what he did for the griz despite being 5'6" or 5'7". Kevin Edwards is a proven player from last year who made some big plays and saw more and more PT as the year went on. Kyle Scholle is in the mix as well as Jelani Gamba giving the griz three young and talented players at the safety spot. Plus you never know, we may get a stud safety or CB from a D1 or JC that could fill in. I'm not saying we've got Trey Young's out there this year but I don't think it'll be as bad as everyone thinks. :D

Baller1

I think there are just a lot of ?. But no different than any other year. I definately agree with you baller. We'll have some guys step up. Scholle impressed me quite a bit last year, I think he will be a good one this year. Edwards did a fine job last year and seemed to improve as the year progressed. And like you said DeCoit and V.Smith are solid. Loosing Young will hurt, no doubt about it. I don't think anyone can really step up and rival Young's quality of play. But the Griz secondary will come together on way or another.

A couple Scholle stats from last season:
5th in tackles for loss (6.5/28). 4th in sacks for loss (6.5/32). 28 unassisted tackles. 2 interceptions for 76 yards.

And Mike Rubie too. 4.4 speed. We have to have guys step up every year. That's what the Griz are known for, we don't rebuild, we reload.

I would bet a 100 dollar bill there will be a Div.1 transfer before the summer ends. Hauck and Hammerscmidt know some of these guys in the Pac 10 that aren't getting a shot. There's another point, the secondary will probably be better coached this year than ever before. Hauck's and Hammerschmidt's major experience is with defensive backs. They will have the guys ready.

It's a weakness the opposition is praying for and they are not going to get it.

Another point, this negative view of our secondary is being fed by some of you negative Griz posters. The opposition is getting this negative info from you. Start putting out some positive vibes on our team. Quit the criticism before a ball has even been snapped. It reminds me of the talking heads on TV that convict people before they've even had a trial. Wait till a couple games and see how the boys play, then if they deserve it, tell them how bad they look.

Ronbo.....you are funny. You act like it matters if some Griz fans have a negitive view point or a postive one. Like the Griz will be worst if poster X on Egriz said that he thought the DBs are a "?" .......or like they will do any better due to an optimistic poster whos says they will be great. You know what they say about opinions....

At any rate, here is my opinion on the matter. I have stated since Spring ball that the DBs may suprise a lot of folks this year, and end up as the strength of our team. To this may reply..."come on man, the D-line and Oline will be the strength of our team."

I say that right now the lines are our bread and butter, but I really think we have some great athletes in the secondary. They are green, and the first few games may get abused now and then.......but I really think by the time BSC play starts, that they will be solid.

ANd they will have to be by then...with teams like EWU, NAU, And SAC..our secondary will be critical. Those teams have some real weapons in the passing game.

They just need experience.......so if they stink the first few games, maybe then we should have patience as fans.

GeauxGriz said:
Ronbo.....you are funny. You act like it matters if some Griz fans have a negitive view point or a postive one. Like the Griz will be worst if poster X on Egriz said that he thought the DBs are a "?" .......or like they will do any better due to an optimistic poster whos says they will be great. You know what they say about opinions....

I know it doesn't make any difference how the boys will perform. But it's feeding a negative fire across the Internet about what a stinky secondary the Griz will have and I for one am tired of defending us. We've got Eastern Washington, Idaho, MSU, and Sacramento fans thinking they're going to rip us apart. You guys have really calmed their fear of us with your stinkin' thinkin'.

I think our secondary will be a strong point for the points I made above and till they play and prove me wrong I will stick by that.

God, we lose two guys and "help, help, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!" Give the new guys a chance to step up. There might be two or three Trey Youngs in the wings just waiting for a shot.

I hate to think how some of you will PANIC when we only have 6 starters back on Defense. And that will happen.

Did someone really post "The sky is falling" ?

thats a bold statement. Did they mean rain was falling?

Seriously though, Ronbo, I doubt that the fans from other schools who think they're gonna pick apart our secondary care about what is said on this board. Most don't believe what we post anyway(ala certain Bengal fans). What's really funny is that they think we don't have any team speed....so do you really care what they think. I sure don't. besides as of right now its just opinion as far as how good this year's secondary will or wont be. On the flip side some might look at last years games such as EWU and note that the secondary didn't do a good job. Even Smith got burned several times.
Oops there went a negative vibe. sorry 'bout that. :eek: But i'd rather not lie.

One thing I am glad about is that the team will have a few games under their belt before we see Idaho. They're supposed to be better than last year...and also we'll have most of our away games in the second half of the year which is good in some ways again because of added experience for the young corners.

One thing that all honest Griz fans will agree upon is that if the Griz ever have any weakness its usually at corner. Still, I would agree with those that say that area is getting better. And by next year I don't think it will be a weakness.

right now of the young cbs i think rubie might be ahead of Adkins, but i think coaches had him backing up Smith and Adkins was on the other side. So we could see him start. He is super quick and is learning to cover pretty good, but in scrimages he didnt do well on the run. Peterson(among others) manhanlded him when they blocked him. During fall camp I think the coaches will work with him on that. If that seems negative you should have heard the coaches when he was picking himself off the ground.
One of my favorite players is polhemus, not for playing ability, but because i like his attitude and he's a good kid. having said that I think he'd make a better safety than corner, and i'll leave it at that.

If the incoming freshman corners are as good as billed look for them to compete. Chris Clark should be very good.

We've got Eastern Washington, Idaho, MSU, and Sacramento fans thinking they're going to rip us apart.

I don't think anybody in Sacramento has even remotely thought we will rip the Griz. We usually play you pretty tough, but you guys set the benchmark for respect and good football. I think its pretty hard to get very brave until we beat you at least ONCE! And maybe if we get to 16 out of 16 years, then we really have something to brag about. I think this season may be a big turning point in Sac State's history, but we gotta play the games. Talk is cheap when you haven't been a big winner and have nothing to back it up with. That being said, I think some Griz fans are too optimistic and take their program for granted and don't see the dangers. Honest debate about your secondary is good. Your guys will be well coached, have good schemes and do a great job at the end of the day. Lets get the games going!!!!!

SLOW??? Here are some 100 meter times of Griz Players
Terrell Engleman 10.65
Chris Clark 10.54
Michael Rubie 10.78
Van Cooper 10.80
Tuff Harris 10.88
Jefferson Heidleberger 10.90
Tyler Peterson 10.92
Michael Potts 11.10
Lex Hilliard 11.33
Seems like the only one SLOW is our Bengal buddy. what are some of ISU better 100 meter times? Lets here them fast freddy. By the way Isaac Mitchell only gained 80 yards rushing on the Griz last year. This year we return 2 All American DL that were injured and did not even play last year, so what will Mitchell only get 40 this year?

By the way.....Mike Potts is 6'4" 235lbs. and gaining lbs. in the weight room. He plays D-End too. Not a bad combination of size and speed if you ask me. Those guys all ran those times in high school before they got on the Griz's lifting and running programs so you know they've all gotten faster too. To even hint that we have slow athelets is hilarious. Those Idaho State Fans are pretty damn funny.

Baller1

good point baller.

One thing i'd like to add.
If we were some horrible team with the dbs we have we'd be saying "at least the dbs are really good".

What i mean is judgemetn of the abilities of each part of the team are relative to the others. Having as good of a D line as we do would make any secondary look like they're not as good as they really are.
Still, the young ones have a ways to go. :D

I don't see the posts as negative. No one is saying "so and so can't play." There is some honest criticism being posted, which is fine. None of the players who lined up at CB in Spring has played a down of college football. Smith and Scholle are good players, but both have had to battle injuries. Edwards does some good things, but his inexperience shows at times. I think the secondary has to be an area of concern, and I believe others are saying same thing. The coaches have identified this as an area that needs work. We won't know for sure how the secondary will hold up until they step on the field next month.

As others have said, this is really nothing new. Especially in I-AA, teams have graduation holes to fill every year. Last year it was WR/RB and the secondary (losing Huntsberger and Coleman). The difference was that we had a bit more depth in the secondary going into last year than we do this year.

ronbo said:
I know it doesn't make any difference how the boys will perform. But it's feeding a negative fire across the Internet about what a stinky secondary the Griz will have and I for one am tired of defending us.

Ronbo......

It is not your job to defend the Griz across the internet....

It makes no difference how well you defend the Griz in the pre-season on the message boards.....

The Griz will be just fine, even if you or I never make another post on any message board ever again......

Will you call Hauck and tell him to not say negative things about the secondary?

This is just a philosophical question........Would you rather build your team up before the season, so that in your mind they will be unbeatable and should win every game by 35 points....Then have them lose 3 or 4 games?

Or would you rather say......we may have weaknesses at a few spots and we may lose a few games and we might not win the NC....then go on to win all it all?

I don't run around the Internet defending the Griz, be real. I was making a point. That a positive spin could be put on a ? mark rather than a negitive spin. Something like "hey will have some new guys in the secondary this year but we get great recruits and the coaches will have them ready." Come on, now you criticize me for having a positive outlook?

If the Griz lose 3-4 games then I'll be concerned and raise questions and complain. But till they prove that they are good or bad I will give them the benefit.

I would rather say we look very good and we will be a force to be reckoned with this year. Putting out stuff like I've heard like "the Big Sky is so tough this year we could end up 3rd' I know that is someones opinion but it's not mine and I won't say that. But when Griz fans say stuff like that the other fans multiply it and soon the Griz are done and over and our time has come and gone. That's what I'm hearing.

ronbo said:
I don't run around the Internet defending the Griz, be real.

But it's feeding a negative fire across the Internet about what a stinky secondary the Griz will have and I for one am tired of defending us.

So which one is it....you Don't run around defending the Griz, or you are sick of defending the Griz?

Come on, now you criticize me for having a positive outlook?

No....I applaud you for your ever optimistic views of the Griz....what I am criticizing you for is that you think all Griz fans must share your optimism.

Putting out stuff like I've heard like "the Big Sky is so tough this year we could end up 3rd' I know that is someones opinion but it's not mine and I won't say that. But when Griz fans say stuff like that the other fans multiply it and soon the Griz are done and over and our time has come and gone. That's what I'm hearing.

So what? Who cares what fans from other schools think? Is it not a game decided on the field?

Just for the record....I tend to share your optimistic view on the secondary. As I stated before, they may struggle early in the year....but could really be the most solid postion by the end of the year, after some "on the field" growing. The talent is there, and the coaches are very competent in coaching the secondary.

I tend to look at things this way..... There is a chance we could end up third in the BSC..... at the same time, there is a chance we could go undefeated and have another flag to be hoisting next year. More likely...we may have some losses on our schedule, but we should be in strong contention for the NC. It's called being realistic, weighing all sides evenly. But it makes my views no better or worse than the optimists' or the pesimists', just different...and I'm not going to call you out if you don't have the same exact view point as me. That is my point.

Back