• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is Delaney the next Don Read?

Big G

Delaney scrapped the spread offense and put in a very versatile pro set so we could be balanced on offense. It is a ball control offense, the same way Reads air bear was a ball control offense he used short passes like runs to dominate the other team. This year is no fluke when Mick can improve the way he did from last year. It looks like he is really building a dynasty like when Read was here.

Big G said:
Delaney scrapped the spread offense and put in a very versatile pro set so we could be balanced on offense. It is a ball control offense, the same way Reads air bear was a ball control offense he used short passes like runs to dominate the other team. This year is no fluke when Mick can improve the way he did from last year. It looks like he is really building a dynasty like when Read was here.
Wow.

Let's wait until he actually wins a playoff game before even comparing him to Pflugrad. :coffee:

Brock Landers said:
Versatile and balanced = occasionally throwing bombs to Jones instead of Henderson?

No kidding. We certainly have the athletes (especially when Van is healthy) to be very versatile and balanced on offense, but apparently not the creativity on the part of the coaches.

Big G said:

Go home Big G, you're drunk!

I can see where with this Big G. Maybe another year of recruiting and he'll have it all put together. I don't think the offense is the problem. The D is what worries me. The O can put points up but that D... It seems that they're finally coming around. I hope!! JJ is a badass QB but as far as MD's recruiting goes, I'm curious to see what Simis has. Anyone know how they're sitting as far a recruiting O linemen goes?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wgd0JhBleg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUeygNwwk5YD5SVQAoiuuQig&hd=1[/youtube]

Speaking of ex-Griz coaches, has anybody noticed how Bob Cole (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach) is doing at Northern Illinois this season?

The Huskies are 9-0, with wins over Iowa and Eastern Illinois. They average 44 points/game. His quarterback last year, Jordan Lynch, was 7th in Heisman voting.

The guy has 25 years of coaching experience, and he's only 54. (Of course, he smoked ike a chimney when he was here, so I don't know about his longevity.)

If we're looking for somebody to succeed Delaney, I'd love to see us go after somebody like Cole. (Yeah, I know, he probably makes far more as a coordinator than we could ever pay him as a head coach.)

Anyway, I think he was one of the best offensive coordinators we've ever had.

To answer your question in a word - no. Am I happy with the progress he is making? Yes. If he makes the same amount of progress year over year as he made from last year to this year, I will be a very happy fan and we will contend for the BSC Championship again. About as far as I am willing to go (but that would be pretty damned good!)

Big G said:
I gave MD some credit for a late 2nd half adjustment last weekend, but saying he is a versatile coach is really out there and comparing him with someone whom beat multiple upper level teams is almost laughable. Let the guy take some more steps before putting pressure on him to be the next Don Read or Hauck etc. He at least needs to beat a top 25 team first.

Big G said:
Like App St?

Pretty sure App State isn't a top 25 team. They may have been ranked to start the season, but this season has been an absolute train wreck for the Mountaineers.

AllWeatherFan said:
Speaking of ex-Griz coaches, has anybody noticed how Bob Cole (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach) is doing at Northern Illinois this season?

The Huskies are 9-0, with wins over Iowa and Eastern Illinois. They average 44 points/game. His quarterback last year, Jordan Lynch, was 7th in Heisman voting.

The guy has 25 years of coaching experience, and he's only 54. (Of course, he smoked ike a chimney when he was here, so I don't know about his longevity.)

If we're looking for somebody to succeed Delaney, I'd love to see us go after somebody like Cole. (Yeah, I know, he probably makes far more as a coordinator than we could ever pay him as a head coach.)

Anyway, I think he was one of the best offensive coordinators we've ever had.
Bob Cole wanted to be both OC and head coach in late 2002 when he expressed interest in the Griz head job. That was a non starter for Wayne Hogan.

Latest posts

Back