• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How the Griz can improve

MNGriz04

Well-known member
The Griz need to stop going to the well in California for their players. They need to expand their recruiting base beyond their nookie blankie and head out east to places like New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, and, yes, Minnesota. Bring in some of those kids who have ice water running through their veins and a chip on their shoulder because a Big East/Big Ten team turned them down.
 
MNGriz04 said:
The Griz need to stop going to the well in California for their players. They need to expand their recruiting base beyond their nookie blankie and head out east to places like New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, and, yes, Minnesota. Bring in some of those kids who have ice water running through their veins and a chip on their shoulder because a Big East/Big Ten team turned them down.

I would have been SOOOOO disappointed if you hadn't said that. ;)
 
MNGriz04 said:
The Griz need to stop going to the well in California for their players. They need to expand their recruiting base beyond their nookie blankie and head out east to places like New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, and, yes, Minnesota. Bring in some of those kids who have ice water running through their veins and a chip on their shoulder because a Big East/Big Ten team turned them down.

Yeah, and they'd still be honing their skills and prepping for the NCAA's with another wussy BSC schedule.
How do the Griz improve? The answer everybody dances around is pulling basketball the hell out of the Big Sky. Keep football, if necessary, even if it means going indy in b-ball. The Big Sky may already be on a death spiral on its way to being a play-in conference. If #17 seeds were possible the BSC would be candidate number one. Even Rodney Dangerfield never knew this kind of disrespect...
 
Silvertip said:
MNGriz04 said:
The Griz need to stop going to the well in California for their players. They need to expand their recruiting base beyond their nookie blankie and head out east to places like New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, and, yes, Minnesota. Bring in some of those kids who have ice water running through their veins and a chip on their shoulder because a Big East/Big Ten team turned them down.

Yeah, and they'd still be honing their skills and prepping for the NCAA's with another wussy BSC schedule.
How do the Griz improve? The answer everybody dances around is pulling basketball the hell out of the Big Sky. Keep football, if necessary, even if it means going indy in b-ball. The Big Sky may already be on a death spiral on its way to being a play-in conference. If #17 seeds were possible the BSC would be candidate number one. Even Rodney Dangerfield never knew this kind of disrespect...

That disrespct has been earned. I don't know why the BSC gets an autobid to the NCAA. We'd be better off getting one to the NIT until we can raise our level of play.
 
Our NCAA record is fine. Yes, we've been blown out the last two years, and those games have been awful. But our 3 trips prior to that were a competitive game against a #1 seed, a win, and a last-possession loss. There's teams from power conferences that would KILL to have that kind of showing.
 
EverettGriz said:
Our NCAA record is fine. Yes, we've been blown out the last two years, and those games have been awful. But our 3 trips prior to that were a competitive game against a #1 seed, a win, and a last-possession loss. There's teams from power conferences that would KILL to have that kind of showing.

+1
 
You are always hearing in these tourney games about the kid who hit the gym in the off season and now is a dominant factor and that's helped them get to where they are now(sometimes gaining 30-40 pounds). Our centers/forwards are looking kinda scrawny. How bad do the continuing Griz want it? How about hitting the gym HARD in the off season? Just a suggestion.
 
IMO, Montana had the talent to be competitive against the Orange, not win but have a nice showing. They played scared and never really tried to penetrate the zone. I don't know if it was gameplan or deer in the headlights but Montana looked nervous as soon as they stepped on the court. You have to believe you belong on the court.
 
You could make the argument that UM should recruit California more, not less. UM just pulled two of their all-time best players from California with Cherry and Jamar. Dunn is one of Montana's highest rated recruits in recent history. There is potential for somewhat of a pipeline if it continues. The Big Sky is a Western conference. UM plays mostly Western non-conference games. There are cheap flights from Missoula to the Bay Area and LA area. Recruits' families will have the opportunity to see them play.

Another factor: the Pac-12 is mediocre. UCLA can't take all the good players in California. Oregon and Cal just won 27 and 21 games as members of the Pac-12, respectively, and were rewarded with 12 seeds. UM cruised through their schedule for the 3rd time in 4 years and ended up a 13 seed. Not much of a difference.
 
I guarantee the Griz will improve and be a better team after this NCAA game. While it was a really tough way to end the season, in the long run games like that do more for a team than if they'd lost by 10 points. I'm sure it will inspire everyone, players and coaches, to improve. Some things became obviously clear from that game:

1) Basketball IQ: There's no way possible to compete with a top level team unless everyone plays their role within the framework of the team with the fewest mistakes possible. The lessons from this game will drive that home big-time. The coaches & players will all improve their IQ's. At a minimum, they'll be much better at effectively attacking a zone defense and at setting up teammates.

2) Bigs: We all knew about the defincencies in this area. We squeaked by in the Big Sky but it's now very clear there's no way possible to succeed at the next level without solid size/length/experience at the 4 & 5 positions.

3) Bright Lights, Big City: The experience of playing a big game against a big team on such a big stage will help down the road, even with the way UM was spanked. I know a pounding like we just saw won't happen again, even if UM gets to the tourney again as a 16 seed. They could possibly lose by 20 or so against another Syracuse type team, but they'll play much better and won't repeat many of the mistakes from this game to lose by 50.

The bottom line is that this was just one game and it shouldn't be used to define this team. They had a great year with a ton of adversity. They will learn and improve from it. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the haters out there who are calling for beheadings have never played at the college level, and especially at the Div 1 level in any sport. In fact, they've probably been lucky to get past junior high. Anyone who has should know how tough it is and should appreciate this team and its accomplishments this year.

Congrats to the UM Grizzlies, all the players and coaches, for a great season!!
 
Thinly veiled racism and nobody calls the OP on it.......................

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 
Agent G said:
I guarantee the Griz will improve and be a better team after this NCAA game. While it was a really tough way to end the season, in the long run games like that do more for a team than if they'd lost by 10 points. I'm sure it will inspire everyone, players and coaches, to improve. Some things became obviously clear from that game:

1) Basketball IQ: There's no way possible to compete with a top level team unless everyone plays their role within the framework of the team with the fewest mistakes possible. The lessons from this game will drive that home big-time. The coaches & players will all improve their IQ's. At a minimum, they'll be much better at effectively attacking a zone defense and at setting up teammates.

2) Bigs: We all knew about the defincencies in this area. We squeaked by in the Big Sky but it's now very clear there's no way possible to succeed at the next level without solid size/length/experience at the 4 & 5 positions.

3) Bright Lights, Big City: The experience of playing a big game against a big team on such a big stage will help down the road, even with the way UM was spanked. I know a pounding like we just saw won't happen again, even if UM gets to the tourney again as a 16 seed. They could possibly lose by 20 or so against another Syracuse type team, but they'll play much better and won't repeat many of the mistakes from this game to lose by 50.

The bottom line is that this was just one game and it shouldn't be used to define this team. They had a great year with a ton of adversity. They will learn and improve from it. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the haters out there who are calling for beheadings have never played at the college level, and especially at the Div 1 level in any sport. In fact, they've probably been lucky to get past junior high. Anyone who has should know how tough it is and should appreciate this team and its accomplishments this year.

Congrats to the UM Grizzlies, all the players and coaches, for a great season!!
 
putter said:
IMO, Montana had the talent to be competitive against the Orange, not win but have a nice showing. They played scared and never really tried to penetrate the zone. I don't know if it was gameplan or deer in the headlights but Montana looked nervous as soon as they stepped on the court. You have to believe you belong on the court.

You nailed it putter. Will and Kareem are truely great players and we are lucky to have them, but two years in a row they stepped on that court and it started running down their legs. They both looked like they thought they didn't belong on the floor. If your two best players and leaders have that look in their eye then the team is doomed.
 
The "would'a, should'a, could'a..." crowd populating this thread is an example of the complacency that leaves Griz athletics with no more future than it had yesterday or will have tomorrow - :sleep:
 
Silvertip said:
The "would'a, should'a, could'a..." crowd populating this thread is an example of the complacency that leaves Griz athletics with no more future than it had yesterday or will have tomorrow - :sleep:
whats the point of watching, being a fan or even posting on egriz if you truly believe there is no future or no hope? what a way to live!
 
Next year I guess I will watch the game with a pipe in my mouth, smoking jacket and a glass of port. And in my best snobbish english accent say, "Jolly good show chap." Even when the Griz do shitty. Indubitably!
 
I will leave where we recruit up to the coaches. Overall, am happy with the quality of recruits Wayne has landed the last 4 years. As for that ice in the veins mentality. Jordan Gregory and Keron Deshields have it. The GRIZ improve drastically by adding depth to the post. Martin and Hutchison will improve a lot in the off season . Speaking of off season, here is what I feel each returnee should do.

Hutchison: (1) Work on his offensive game (2) Play as often as possible against quality post men in the off season. (3) Foot work drills (4) Add some strength (5) Believe in himself more. I think most everyone has sold him short the last few years. Personally, I think he is capable of taking his game up quite few more notches.

Coleman: (1) A lot of weight room (2) post moves, just in case we still lack depth inside (3) Ball handling, he is athletic and can become very difficult to handle with more ball handling for penetrating. I expect a huge year from him next season.

Jamar: (1) Foot work/Defense (2) quickness (3)vertical (4) ball handling, if he is running the offense a lot we need him to get the hole against quick guards more often when his strength can be used more. Kareem is a dynamic player, and well rounded as a coach can ask for, as is. However, if he improves all 4 of these things he improves his NBA stock drastically. He is definitely a SG at the next level. He lacks just a little at each of these things. His overall game and awareness are pretty damn close being there. As MN pointed out, he needs to show that intensity and no back down mentality. He is the key player to have this trait.

Henderson: (1) Develop his overall game. If his game ever catches up to his physical gifts and athleticism, he could be very special and hit this league like a ton of bricks. I wonder if he knows how good he can be if commits himself to it 100%? (2) Weight room (3) Perimeter shot (4) ball handling

Weisner: (1) Weight room-needs to live in the weight room regardless of position or role he plays next season. (2) Ball handling (3) post offense. IF he does these things, he will be one hell of a player. He has the make up to add to his game. Offensive versatility and strength would do his game wonders, and drastically improve the team too. Him at 215 to 225 lbs would be excellent.

Deshields: (1)Perimeter shooting (2) Finishing at the rim (3) Ball handling, I know he gets to the rack easy against BSC defenses, but as seen against Syracuse needs to improve to do it against that level. (4) weight room. Unless Dunn comes in well ahead of your typical freshman, Keron is our primary PG. Physically and emotionally, I like his make up. Skills wise, even slight improvement gives the GRIZ a very good PG.

Gregory: Scary thought of him putting in the time he did last season, how much better can he get? His off season last year was amazing, in my opinion. He strikes me as the kind of player and person who will bust his ass 24/7. (1) Ball handling, size wise he is a PG with SG game, his leadership is also that of a PG. He took good care of the ball this season, but most his turnovers were when he got to the paint and players punching the ball out from him. Hell it might be as little as protecting the ball better to turns those into fouls. (2) Ball distribution, yes another PG skill, but this benefits his future and the GRIZ, can never have too many ball distributors. (3) Make it known he is the leader along with Kareem. I love Jordan's make up for leading. He is the one player who has the ice mentality MN was referring too. (4) Quickness. I honestly look forward to seeing what level of improvement we see in his game when the season start next year. I have a feeling he has the work ethic that every GRIZ should pattern.

Wiley: (1) Weight room-I see him as a SF, but he will see time at the PF too. More strength to go with his athleticism is much needed. (2) Post moves-like the other combo SF/PF we have, this is needed. (3) Ball handling for penetrating to utilize is athleticism better. (4) Perimeter range and consistency. I have heard many good things about his potential and work ethic. Once he gains experience, like Henderson he has great athleticism, and just needs to have his game catch up with the athleticism.

Emerson: Really do not know much about this kid so it is hard to comment on him. I know he has a well rounded game. My guess is he needs to do a little of everything or may be lost in the numbers game with depth at SG/SF. (1) Ball handling (2) footwork quickness (3) weight room. Those are the main things the little I have seen of him and have heard from people. In a nutshell, with the GRIZ needing to find a big man, he will have to bust his harder than anyone to keep his scholarship, and give the coaches reason to keep that scholarship. I just have a feeling he is the odd man out with the way the roster looks. For his sake, I hope I am wrong on that.

Martin: (1) Weight room- stating the obvious here, and he knows it already. Strength added to his height and agility, would make him into a very dangerous BSC post. (2) Post moves- Do any of us know what kind of post game he has? He barely seen the ball, unfortunately. I know the games I seen, he was overlooked a lot when he did get position. (3) Offensive Awareness- he has good hands, just needs to be ready for the ball. (4) Defensive Discipline- this comes with experience, so I am not to worried about this one. (5) A little mean streak. Andy is a naturally nice and grateful person. That can be tough transition on the court. Most young big men struggle with getting this mean streak. As to how or if he gets it, that is up to him. There really is not a secret to get this. Maybe Gregory can give him some of his. I am intrigued by Andy's upside as a player. He will be a joy to watch develop, the question is, how quickly can he develop?

With all that said, Despite the bad game to end the year. It was a great year, and one I believe that will be built on. With all the adversity the team dealt with. Overall, this team overachieved. Their accomplishments were outright amazing, considering all the adversity. Plenty to be proud of coaches, players, and fans. GO GRIZ!!!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top