• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

how did this game get scheduled

driftwood

Anyone in the know on how this game got scheduled? It sounds like Delaney doesn't like it, OPS coach Russell Gaskamp doesn't like it, and the fans don't like it.

So does anyone know exactly when this game was scheduled, and how this DII school of 1,400 students ended up being our best option?

driftwood said:
Anyone in the know on how this game got scheduled? It sounds like Delaney doesn't like it, OPS coach Russell Gaskamp doesn't like it, and the fans don't like it.

So does anyone know exactly when this game was scheduled, and how this DII school of 1,400 students ended up being our best option?

Shall we blame it on Bush or Engstrom?

The D-2 games are always justified as a money game, a chance to fill Wa-Griz at minimum cost.

I really wonder if this is true in this case. Tickets for OPSU have been sold on Griz Tix at $28 while tickets for Cal-Poly are $35. This implies that if this difference is also applicable to season tickets as well as single game tickets, there is a $150,000 reduction in revenue attributable to scheduling a D-2 team compared to an FCS team.

Might not a better option have been to schedule an easy FCS team (for example Monmouth or Stephen F. Austin), charge 'full price' for tickets and have a better game?

GlacierGrizX said:
How many Griz fans are going to show up at Wa-Griz this weekend? My guess between 20,000-21,000.

I think it will be more than that based on how well the team's played so far. Now, the place will probably be half-empty for the second half when we're already up 49-0.

Htowngriz said:
GlacierGrizX said:
How many Griz fans are going to show up at Wa-Griz this weekend? My guess between 20,000-21,000.

I think it will be more than that based on how well the team's played so far. Now, the place will probably be half-empty for the second half when we're already up 49-0.

Myself and all my bunch will be there this time. I missed the App State game because of the birth of our first Grandchild. I got in the tailgating, but had to depart 1 hour before kickoff. 1st game I have missed in over 15 years. I will be in my lot "M" tailgate spot offering refreshments to all visiting fans as usual...and even egrizzers who stop by to say hello! As far as the quality of the competition, it is football, and true Griz fans love the game and Wash/Griz stadium atmosphere, but most of all, we love our team!!

Go Griz!!!

Blame Don Read. It's what fans used to do when O'Day was AD and the Sisters of the Poor were scheduled.

unranked FCS Lamar beat them 75-0 already this season........ :roll:

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/no-griz-await-underdog-aggies-oklahoma-panhandle-state-trekking-miles/article_5074b11a-20d8-11e3-9c11-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think it's very easy to schedule non-conference games for Montana. The UM needs 6 home games a season at least, so at least two non conference home games every other year (if I understand the conference scheduling correctly). That's means we can have the back end of one home and home series (such as APP ST this season) and then we need to have one game that we don't have to return the next season (or some similar scheduling shinanigans, like a home-home-away series, so that we avoid a season with only 5 home games). Plus we need that game on a certain date. So first we eliminate all teams who have already scheduled for said date, then we eliminate all teams that refuse less than a home and home series. Plus the added geographical problem, of our city being relatively isolated from other Div 1 schools and expensive to travel too. And what you end up with is paying a REMAC Div II school to show up.

The thing is that we make much more on a home game than we would if we played up. And the fans expect six or seven regular season home games a year. Which is great! We have the fan base here so that we don't have to do what alot of Big Sky teams have to do which is playing up to make 300 - 700k. UM makes significantly more than that for a home game, no matter the opponent.

So it's disappointing to have to schedule these games, but when the alternative is only 5 home games and less money for the UM it's understandably and I prefer it to that alternative.

I don't think it will have much of an impact to any possible playoff seeding. Everyone and their sister scheduled a DII this season

We'd all love to have another FCS team, but as history has shown we have a very hard time getting an all-FCS slate

At least we have three really good home games coming in October - Portland State, Cal Poly and EWU all in four weeks. It's going to be a fun month in Missoula!

I hate this game too, but I actually think there will be a regular large crowd at kickoff. It's still a September game and much of the September crowd doesn't really care who the Griz play as much as they just love to be at the game.

Still, to me a home game is better than the alternative. Next year, the Griz open at Wyoming Aug. 30 then go to NDSU Sept. 6. It's a 12-game sched next year again, so expect the home-opener to be another DII at best. I don't see the Griz paying two FCS teams to come to Missoula next September.

I'm pretty sure we get South Dakota at home next year, the last year of the 2 for 1 contract with them. Is that game scheduled yet, or is there a possibility of that being the home opener?

I just hope that those not using their tickets will donate them to "Griz Kids" or any other young person. They are the fans of the future! I first attended a GRIZ game in the old, old Dornblaser Stadium in 1950 at the age of ten and have been a fan ever since. And, I will be there on Saturday! ;)

I was thinking South Dakota as well, and a DII. Not sure which will be the home opener, just know the home opener next year isn't until at least Sept. 13. I guess no complaining about the sched though since the Griz are certainly being put to the non-conference TEST the first two weeks. I suspect those two road trips should being what they are should mean NO complaining about the rest of the sched next season. sarcasim.

So, the $64,000 question is this: Do us out of state fans make the LARAMIE road trip or the FARGO road trip next year?

Back