• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How about Mr. Willie Walden!

ronbo

Willie had a breakout game today. He can be an awesome weapon as he and Ochs proved to the coaches and everyone watching today.

He's a big target that can take alot of pressure off the wide receivers. It's adds another dimension to the offense that we desperately need.

I agree, Willie had a nice game. I think as long as Ochs is QB, Willie will have a lot more balls thrown his way!

Let me say it again, there isn't anybody in the Big Sky who can contend with Walden's size, given the chance the offense gives tosses him at least 4 or 5 opportunities a game. If the tight end is made into a consistent/viable option in our offense, who is going to stop Talmage from consistent huge gains.

Great play, great catch, and his ability to rumble over and drag 2 guys for a little ride. Key play in the drive. The second of his career as a grizzly and third for a TD What a day! Great Job! Hope to see more tight end work in the next few weeks.

grizfilmer said:
Great play, great catch, and his ability to rumble over and drag 2 guys for a little ride. Key play in the drive. The second of his career as a grizzly and third for a TD What a day! Great Job! Hope to see more tight end work in the next few weeks.

HUH!

Willie didn't have a great year last year because Glenn didn't play him much and Edwards never threw to him.

But......

I believe he had 5 catches last year. And I remember one earlier this year. A nice grab and run for 14 yards down to about the 12 in the NDSU game. He has 3 catches this year for 59 yards and a TD.

GrizWhiz said:
I agree, Willie had a nice game. I think as long as Ochs is QB, Willie will have a lot more balls thrown his way!

Walden could prove to be a deadly weapon. If we can get a run game established, which will compliment our pass game, and a few to the TE when it looks like a run or longer pass... look out!

I had high hopes for Willie last year, but never saw anything impressive. I remember a 5-10 defender tackling him by his shoe lace when the ball was thrown his way. I also saw him miss a lot of balls, like earlier this year. Perhaps a little time has "seasoned" Willie, and he's putting it all together.

Bravo Willie :lol: on some great catches Saturday. Keep up the good work and you will add another dimension to our team, making it even tougher to beat the GRIZZZZZZ !

Congrats to Willie on his first TD catch as a Grizzly. I'm still looking forward to his first block. Everybody is right, he can be a weapon, but for his size, he should block much better. He is a little soft, but hopefully continues to improve. He was very cordial and well spoken last night on the Bobby Hauck Show. I was happy with that.

I was impressed by both Willie and Brent Myers on last night's Bobby Hauck show. loyalgriz-if your still "looking forward to Willie's first block" your not watching the games. :D

Mr. Whiz,

You are right, I have only watched about 20 consecutive years of games. Why do you think Walden wouldn't normally start even though he is six seven and 5000 pounds? It's because he can't drive block to save his ass. I haven't seem him drive somebody off the line of scrimmage but maybe three times in two years. Mabye you should start watching.

mr. loyal- I've been at about as many consecutive games as you. We disagree on this point. I'll leave it at that. P.S.-if you have attended the games for 20 straight years, you are indeed loyalgriz. :lol:

I can agree to disagree, that is fair. I believe that is what this message board is for, to express opinions. As for watching every game, that might be stretch. I live in Helena and have had to miss an occassional game due to conflict, but I do believe my username is legit. :lol:

As one who has expressed some criticism of WW's pass catching abilities, let me join in praising his efforts against Cal Poly. I hope this is in fact his "breakout" game and that the rest of the season goes as well. He is certainly an awesome physical specimen that can add an extra dimension to our offensive ability. Voila, Willie!!

Willie is getting more confidence every week. When you get confidence you relax and play, when you relax and play, if you have talent you excel.

I predict when we get the passing game cranked up you'll see Willie catching 3-5 balls per game for about 50 yards per game. Also the coaches like that leaping catch in the end zone. You'll see Willie do that many times this year and score another 5-6 TD's with it. :D :D :D

Let us not forget the great grab by Conner of a poorly thrown ball. Although I am a fan of Willie I believe Moloy is the better player. Certainly a better blocker, has great tight end speed and finally is grabbing everything thrown. Problem....not enough throws to the TEs. That could change dramaticaly (sp) With Craig at the helm. Like most posters, I believe putting the tight ends in the offense is a bitch to defend and we have, at least, two good ones.

PolsonGrizFan said:
I had high hopes for Willie last year, but never saw anything impressive. I remember a 5-10 defender tackling him by his shoe lace when the ball was thrown his way. I also saw him miss a lot of balls, like earlier this year. Perhaps a little time has "seasoned" Willie, and he's putting it all together.

Bravo Willie :lol: on some great catches Saturday. Keep up the good work and you will add another dimension to our team, making it even tougher to beat the GRIZZZZZZ !

Then again you have to look at who was QBing. Willie didn't have a great passing QB in Edwards. Edwards could scramble and was fundamentally sound, but a good passer he was not.

I agree with all of you regarding more use of the tightend position. I remember when Weber and Eastern Washington used to drive us nuts with the flip to the tightend in the flat and a rumble for 10 or 15 yards. It will be nice to be able to go to two tight ends occasionally, although I would like to see us consider splitting out our tightends more often to make mismatches.

here is a question, did Bobby take our screen package in the freezer as I can only remember very few as of late? Tightend delay screens can be very effective and I would like to see a few.

Wille had been playing like isht prior to the Idaho game. His blocking had been not good, to say the least. Why, I have no Idea. Why he dropped balls before this game...I don't know, because he CAN catch. He made some good catches against Poly, and hopefully his entire game play will improve vastly from this point on. That's my take. I think if anyone has game tapes and they watch WW closely, they will not be impressed.
I'm not getting down on WW, I could have hugged him with the catches he made against Poly. I just hope from this point on he steps it up a notch. And I think Ronbo is right. I think he is on the right track. Go get'um Willie.

That's right, jump on my "no blocking" bandwagon. Hurry, there is still more room. Seriously though, he could be a huge factor, I just don't know if he has the fire in his belly............looks more like jelly donuts. OK, I have to stop that. Everybody is right, the tight end is a huge weapon and I expect more more action there with Mr. Ochs at QB. Should we start touting him for Heisman next year, maybe get a billboard in Times Square?

The 2 catches by Willie in Cal game + comments made by Ochs about Willie's potential made the Cal game Willie's coming out party. When Willie picked himself up after making the catch in the South endzone and displayed the ball to the student section spoke volumns for me about his desire and the catch he made earlier while dragging 2 defenders should give him the confidence he might have been lacking. Once you taste success/glory, you want more. GO WILLIE.

Latest posts

Back