• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hogan Doesn't get UNLV Job

GRIZNATION

Mike Hamrick, who began his career in athletic administration 22 years ago at UNLV, is returning to Las Vegas as the school's athletic director.

Hamrick, East Carolina's AD the past eight years, accepted president Carol Harter's job offer over the phone late Tuesday.

Details of Hamrick's contract were still being settled, but he is expected to receive a three-year deal worth close to what he made at East Carolina, where he had a base salary of $180,000. Hamrick will also receive a bonus based on graduation rates.

"UNLV was my first job and I told my wife it would be great to come back to Las Vegas someday, and daggummit, it's happened," Hamrick said late Tuesday from his Greenville, N.C., home. "The quality of the people in place from the president to the staff to the coaches is very impressive."

When John Robinson resigned as AD on May 20, Harter said that she wanted his replacement in place before UNLV's 2003 football season opener, an Aug. 29 home game against Toledo.

Hamrick is expected to be formally introduced to the Board of Regents on Friday in Reno. An item on the board's Thursday agenda regarding UNLV's athletic director probably will be tabled until Friday morning, giving Hamrick time to arrive from North Carolina.

"My plan is to hit the ground running and meet as many people as possible and get everyone together," Hamrick said. "My wife and my kids are really excited about the move."

Hamrick was one of three athletic directors interviewed for the vacancy. He was chosen over Montana's Wayne Hogan, the first to be interviewed, and Idaho's Mike Bohn, who concluded his two days on campus Tuesday afternoon.

The three finalists were picked from about 70 applicants that the 16-member search committee reviewed with Mike Glazier and Max Urick of the Overland Park, Kan., law firm Bond, Schoeneck & King.

At East Carolina, Hamrick helped guide the Pirates into Conference USA and raised $46 million for capital improvements, including upgrades to the school's football stadium, basketball arena and a state-of-the-art strength and conditioning facility. A new baseball stadium is under construction.

East Carolina student-athletes had a 70 percent graduation rate and the school has had no NCAA troubles during Hamrick's tenure.

But he has changed coaches in football and basketball despite overall success. Hamrick last year fired football coach Steve Logan, 69-58 in 11 seasons with five bowl appearances. Four years ago, Hamrick replaced basketball coach Joe Dooley, who was 57-52, with former Drexel coach Bill Herrion.

Hamrick's first AD experience was at Arkansas-Little Rock. He took over in 1990 and guided the school into the Sun Belt Conference, where he met Craig Thompson, then the league commissioner.

Hamrick's hiring at UNLV reunites him with Thompson, now the Mountain West Conference commissioner.

"I'm excited about renewing my professional relationship with Craig," Hamrick said. "We've been friends for a good number of years, and I think the Mountain West is an outstanding conference."

Former UNLV AD Brad Rothermel, who hired Hamrick to work in marketing and promotions in 1981, said he thought Hamrick would be a good choice as the school's 11th athletic director.

"He'd do an extraordinary job," Rothermel said. "He was an athlete and had been around athletics. Mike had a good sense of what college athletics was."

Hamrick also thinks he can succeed at UNLV.

"I believe we can do it even bigger and better," Hamrick said. "There's so much potential there and I'm excited to be part of it."

GeauxGriz said:
WOW....

That is a big time loss for UNLV. Hope Wayne stays put now.....atleast for another year. :wink:

San Diego State is the next opening. Plus there will always be others. The odds of Hogan leaving are getting larger with each AD job that opens up.

Back