• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hilliard, Englemann

GrizMania

I'm curious if we'll see more from Hilliard and Engleman in the coming games. Hilliard did much better than Green or Waller and Engleman could do no worse. IMHO.
Still i think we'll see Green play a lot because the coaches brought him in.

As for Hilliard, I hope they play him enough to validate burning a redshirt year. It would be silly to burn the year and only get 3 or 4 touches a game.

Also Hartman should be given a chance. As was mentioned in an article I read, it doesn't matter if he redshirts this year or next year. It seems we need him this year.

And remember that if Hartman does play in the pre-season only, and less than thirty percent of the snap, or something like that, he keep shis redshirt. I dont know if we are ther yet, but that is a thought.

It will all depend on Ochs in the next three weeks, before you have a chance on seeing Hartman in there.

Ochs is supposedly to be back for the Idaho game. I hope so. While I believe Disney can and will solve some of his problems, it would be better for him to do it in a backup role. But since we do not have Ochs, this is a good time for disney to get game experience. I know some of you that are so over wrought with the playoff situation seem to be calling yesterday's game the end of the world it isn't. It just adds another challenge. This is where the tough get tougher. Maybe Griz will have to win the championship all on the road. So be it. But never give up hope.

As for Lex Hilliard, he was the best running back in the game. Green and Waller just doesn't impress me at all. The way that Disney doesn't impress GeauxGriz at all, it is the same feeling I have toward Green and Waller.

grzz said:
And remember that if Hartman does play in the pre-season only, and less than thirty percent of the snap, or something like that, he keep shis redshirt. I dont know if we are ther yet, but that is a thought.

Grzz, that would apply to a medical redshirt, not for a normal redshirt.
The rule is "one play, one season". But a player can always petition and hope he can receive a redshirt. Adkins did and received his redshirt even though he did play one down last year.

Here is the rule on redshirting:

Redshirt Definition
The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

But, people say Hartman can play this year and redshirt next year. Trouble with that, is that he would be in the same position that Disney is now. Coming having not played for more than a year. Sitting a whole year is tough. A player needs competition, and sitting isn't the answer. Now, you can say Hartman would be sitting any way because Ochs and Disney would be playing before him. I say bunk on that because if Hartman is as good as I think he is, he will be playing. It could be as third string, but I believe he will beat out Ochs and/or Disney next year. May not have the strong arm, but he had the most accurate arm in all the scrimmages I watched him play in.

I say why worry about redshirting him at all. We have a terrific prospect coming in from Seattle next year. A kid that could make all three of these kids look bad. We redshirt that kid next year and he'll be Hartmans backup for two years. Then he'll take over for two years.

have you seen the seattle kid play yet?
I've not. so I can't claim he'll make Ochs look bad who was one of the
top 5 qb recruits in the nation when he came out of HS. I don't think this Seatle kid is getting that much credit. He might be as good though(and i hope he is). We'll see.
Also, he's not set foot at UM yet. We never know when someone's gonna pull a Muckie Foreman or Alex Alexander on us.

Didn't claim anything. The key word in my sentence was "COULD" and that word means "MAYBE".

GrizMania said:
have you seen the seattle kid play yet?
I've not. so I can't claim he'll make Ochs look bad who was one of the
top 5 qb recruits in the nation when he came out of HS. I don't think this Seatle kid is getting that much credit. He might be as good though(and i hope he is). We'll see.
Also, he's not set foot at UM yet. We never know when someone's gonna pull a Muckie Foreman or Alex Alexander on us.

I'm not sold on that kid yet. He seems way too hyped right now, and I doubt he's one of the top 5 prep QB's in the nation. He may say his goal is to lead Montana to four national championships, but saying it alone isn't going to put him in any halls of fame. His stats in high school before this season included only 108 completions in 208 attempts. We'll have to see how his production improves this season before we can determine whether he's all that the experts say he is.

I'm going to see Ballard play this Friday and will report back how Cole Morgan (Griz QB recruit) does. He has a reciever that is one of the top 5 recruits in Seattle, Keauntea Bankhead and a RB that has already committed to WSU. Last year Morgan's stats were as follows: 108 of 208, 1,476 yds, 21 TDs. Not bad, but it seems as though he has some great weapons at his disposal as well. He's listed at 6-3, 186 on the roster.

I'm thinking that Hartman should get some time this year no matter what Disney/Ochs do. Ochs, if ready by the Idaho game 9/27 hasn't played a down of football since last year. He very possibly would not play any better than Disney is or has in two games. He needs real game speed experience as Disney is getting now. By the Idaho game putting both QBs side by side, Disney may be better prepared to start than Ochs. At times, I think we all put too much :eek: stock in Ochs before he has ever taken a snap for the Griz. He is a good player no doubt but is he a savior :angel: I don't think so. It is going to take time for him to get up to speed. So do the Griz have until the middle or end of Oct for Ochs to get up to speed, Disney to decide if he can cut it at this level, or give the reins to Hartman and prepare for the future??? :roll: Any way you cut it, it is going to be a tough season for the Griz. The Bengals, Cats, Eagles, & Lumberjacks are setting back and smiling and licking their chops at this point. This weekend against SHS is going to a very piviotal game for the Griz. Lose and we are in for a very long season. :oops:

Having said that, do I think the Griz have what it takes to get back to the NC game..... :multi: HELL YES!

Back