• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

hello from a cuse fan

cusefan79

Hi all. As I know next to nothing about your team I've been digging around your board a bit. Montana could give us problems with outside shooting, especially if we are off from outside ourselves. If anyone has questions about the zone, ie trapping on sidelines, baseline, and corners I'll try to answer. Also I know the players beyond their stats. The sort of intangibles you get from watching every game of their careers, many in person. I'm not a basketball genius, but if anyone has questions I'll try to answer.

So I've got some serious questions, no trolling like others.

The team lost a lot from last year and I think had some injuries during the year, correct? How are they working together now? Hitting the stride or are the wheels still loose?

Curious as to how the emotions of playing a lot of teams for the last time also factored in to many of the games this year, if you noticed.

We did lose a lot from our team last year, including three NBA draft picks and a senior starter at PG who might get a shot at the pros because he's dating Michael Jordan's daughter (he had surgery following his senior campaign which is why he didn't go to any NBA camps).

Anyway, we actually (fortunately) avoided the injury bug this year but we did have two players miss some time. One is senior swingman James Southerland, who you've probably heard about if you've watched us as he is, by far, our best shooter. He's a 6-8, really athletic kid from NYC who can get as hot as anyone in the country from long range. Unfortunately that's about the extent of his offensive skillset, as he's absolutely horrendous handling the ball. Anyway, he had some academic issues midway through the year (a professor called into question one paragraph from one paper from the 2011-12 academic year, so he sat out while that was being sorted) and missed some games. However, without him we still went TO Louisville and beat the Cards on their home floor when they were ranked #1.

Our other player who missed time was DaJuan Coleman, a freshman McDonald's AA post player who is about 6-9, 280, but who has been a bit of a disappointment thus far and probably won't get off the bench unless we have foul trouble or are up by 20+ late in the game on Thursday. He'll be a good player, but he's one of those kids who was clearly used to bullying weaker players in HS and is having trouble adjusting to the college game.

It's tough to say whether we are hitting our stride or if the wheels are a little loose at this point. We obviously had a "wheels coming off" situation in the final 15 minutes against Louisville in the BE title game, when we went from up 16 to losing by 17 in one of the most brutal second halves I've ever watched. However, before that we beat Pitt and Georgetown in two of our better performances in awhile.

Here's a way to judge what kind of Syracuse team you'll be seeing: ball movement, and if Michael Carter-Williams is dominating the ball and shooting a lot. We looked great against Pitt and Georgetown because we moved the ball a TON and, of course, were knocking down shots. Some of our rough stretches this season came when MCW was apparently reading his own press clippings and tried to do way too much. We have played much better when he's orchestrating the offense, and not throwing up jumpers.

I admit I don't know much about Montana, other than the fact that you guys seem to have decent size, good guards, and shooters, which are three things that could certainly cause us trouble. How are your guys at handling traps? Our zone, due to our length and athleticism across the board (we start 6-4, 6-6, 6-8, 6-8, 6-9) is the reason why, despite being a zone, people tend to shoot a poor percentage from deep against us. We close out pretty well and because we're so long we force people to take deeper shots than they might normally.

Anyway, looking forward to Thursday.

Our only injury this year was a minor knee injury to freshman big man Damian Coleman. Not a big deal a he played very few minutes. He is available now, but hasn't played nearly at all.
Right now they are either world beaters, or total head scratchers. They are either on or off, and that can change from half to half as evidenced by the loss to louisville in the BET.
James southerland is a catch and shoot sniper. He likes to trail behind MCW and Williams drops it to him so he can step into a three. He's a legit 6'8'' and his jumper is a thing of beauty. He can't put it on the floor very well though, and he does crash the boards a bit for put backs.
Brandon triche is a senior four year starter who has started every game since he stepped foot on campus. He is 6'4'' and built like a strong safety. Excellent handle, but if his first few shots don't go from inside or out, he has a tendency to fade into the background. But he can go off on any given night. I've heard several announcers over the course of the season call him the best college player no one knows about.
CJ Fair is our most consistent player. He has a great mid range jumper, tremendous hops as well. He's 6'8'' and a smooth athlete, especially working his way around the lane to the hoop. He's a glue guy. Seems to have a knack for doing exactly what the team needs at a given moment. Rebounds, steal etc. He doesn't take many threes but he hits them at over 40 percent.

What the heck, I'll jump in on this. The team certainly did lose plenty (Melo, Jardine, Joseph, and the incandescent Dion Waiters) from last season, but there appears to still have been gas in the tank. Christmas remains a work-in-progress at center, but Keita, who works his tail off, has improved his defense immensely. Still, you wont' find much scoring punch from that position.

Carter-Williams, who appears to have unlimited ability, and Triche are a capable backcourt, and redshirt freshman Cooney is seeing more floor time. His shooting has kept him largely on then bench and I'm becoming convinced that the problem is between his ears -- in pre-game shoot arounds it looks like he never misses. But he's got plenty of potential and like all SU guards these days, he's tall.

MCW may have the most potential, but the best player on the team is silky CJ Fair. Smooth and consistent and with the ability to score inside or out. A wonderful corner jump shooter. And of course Southerland can put the fear of God into teams when he heats up and he's a better defender than he's often given credit for.

The only significant injury this season was to Southerland, and of course he's back now. Freshman Coleman was out for a few games, but he's largely relegated to the pine. That said, don't be at all surprised if JB finds a use for him; the kid, a real bruiser, has an upside.

As far as current play, well, we'll see. They were in stride earlier in the season (high water mark being the win at Louisville), then watched the wheels fall off as their offense seemed to forget whatever it once knew. But the Orange played a fine BE tournament despite eventually getting waxed by the Cards. I've read some smarmy criticism that getting blown out after squandering a 16-point lead reveals the true SU, an opinion that manages to both blithely discount Louisville's excellence and fails to dwell upon what sort of team it takes to put the Cards into a 16 point hole in the first place. No matter now. I think SU will travel west confident and ready to play.

The emotions felt for leaving the Big East run high. Boeheim hates it. Many fans hate it. It's hard for me to imagine Duke and UNC ever replacing UConn and, especially, Georgetown, our arch-enemy. But that will be no factor in San Jose. SU will either play well and win, or not play well, or not well enough, and lose.

Best of luck on Thursday, Grizzlies. I can't speak for my fellow fans, but I'd bet plenty that JB and the Orange won't be taking you lightly.

Good stuff, these guys certainly know their basketball.

I think that the big indicator of how well this game will go for us is the way Cherry and Jamar drive on the zone. If they can drive effectively and either put up some shots or have good kick outs or underneath passes, then we will be in the game until the end. However, if they get swallowed up every time they drive like they did against Wisconsin last year we are in for another rough showing.

Wow... Knowledgeable Saracuse fans???

Nah, just playing... Hope it's a close game, and welcome aboard :thumb:

Zootown Rox said:
Good stuff, these guys certainly know their basketball.

I think that the big indicator of how well this game will go for us is the way Cherry and Jamar drive on the zone. If they can drive effectively and either put up some shots or have good kick outs or underneath passes, then we will be in the game until the end. However, if they get swallowed up every time they drive like they did against Wisconsin last year we are in for another rough showing.
If you hit threes the zone will flex out beyond the three point line. This leaves lanes for driving, and especially the sweet spot at the free throw line. A big or wing who can hit that mid range jumper or pass back out from there can do real damage from there.....but if you aren't hitting the deep ball the guards at the top of the zone will pack in closer to the paint negating that free throw line advantage.
Our wings also like to come way out high, almost level with the ft line. It almost looks like a 4-1 zone with just the center back. This leaves opposing teams forwards an illusion the baseline is wide open.occasionally it can be exploited f or an alley oop ,but usually it is on purpose. The baseline Is where Boeheim WANTS the ball to go. The center will jump to cut off the baseline drive and the wing on that side will collapse on the backside of the driver to trap him and try to force a turnover, or block from behind.
The zone is always willing to give you the shot Blenheim WANTS you to take until you hit a few of them, then it will morph. If you are hitting threes he will shift a bit so you can drive the lane, but three trees suddenly surround the driver. Even if your getting the layup he'll trade that two against a three in hopes of slowing down a hot shoot e r.

To see it better search youtube for. Syracuse basketball 2013. Someone put up most of this year's games up in full. Quality isn't great, but you can see the zone work.

EverettGriz said:
Major thanks to the Cuse guys for coming on here and respectfully talking BB. It's appreciated.

it's also extremely weird and uncommon. I feel outta sorts not having some smartass come on here make fun of Montana, brokeback movies, and asking if there are vehicles here yet...

Dare I say, I am enjoying the serious talk...didn't think I'd see the day.

Fuck Pat Williams....ahhhhhhhhh, much better. carry on.

stubbins said:
EverettGriz said:
Major thanks to the Cuse guys for coming on here and respectfully talking BB. It's appreciated.

it's also extremely weird and uncommon. I feel outta sorts not having some smartass come on here make fun of Montana, brokeback movies, and asking if there are vehicles here yet...

f*** Pat Williams....ahhhhhhhhh, much better. carry on.
I love my team, but don't see the point being a dick about it on someone else's board.
I'll just add. FUCK DUKE! And may they be sent home in the first round again so no matter what happens for cuse I will still be all warm and happy inside.

cusefan79 said:
stubbins said:
EverettGriz said:

f*** Pat Williams....ahhhhhhhhh, much better. carry on.
I love my team, but don't see the point being a dick about it on someone else's board.
I'll just add. f*** DUKE! And may they be sent home in the first round again so no matter what happens for cuse I will still be all warm and happy inside.

AMEN... Never liked Duke... EVER

It appears the only time The Grizzlies have played the Orange in anything was a 6-6 tie in football before there were facemasks. I predict it won't be a tie this time :thumb: :lol:

Mich Griz said:
It appears the only time The Grizzlies have played the Orange in anything was a 6-6 tie in football before there were facemasks. I predict it won't be a tie this time :thumb: :lol:
Way to go out on a limb. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got to admit it. So far, I am impressed by the Cuse fans posting here and cuseorange.com. Thank God, their fans from other websites have yet to presence us on egriz. Thankfully, we are hearing from their classy, respectful, and friendly fans. Anyone read from some of their fan forums/websites? Wow, I thought GRIZ football fans were bad. They are angels compared to some Cuse fans.

I welcome every Cuse fan we have seen post here so far. Pray to God the ones on the other side of the spectrum do not make their way here. I think I will keep my interactions limited to just Chris's sights with them. Kudos to the posters here that are Syracuse fans.

mtgrizrule said:
Got to admit it. So far, I am impressed by the Cuse fans posting here and cuseorange.com. Thank God, their fans from other websites have yet to presence us on egriz. Thankfully, we are hearing from their classy, respectful, and friendly fans. Anyone read from some of their fan forums/websites? Wow, I thought GRIZ football fans were bad. They are angels compared to some Cuse fans.

I welcome every Cuse fan we have seen post here so far. Pray to God the ones on the other side of the spectrum do not make their way here. I think I will keep my interactions limited to just Chris's sights with them. Kudos to the posters here that are Syracuse fans.

Thanks! I personally don't go on any cuse boards. They are full of overly entitled fans so used to winning they get apoplectic over every loss. Every other post is about how Boeheim needs to go, etc. Yeah ...in the 37 years he's coached there he's had 35 twenty win seasons. Obviously he doesn't know what he's doing. :lol:

Latest posts

Back