• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Heavy Set Backfield on Short Yardage

AZGrizFan

DONOR
So, we saw several times Saturday Eric Bienemann lined up with Wilson in the backfield with Canada, especially on the multiple 4th and goal/short yardage situations. I applaud this use of the beef! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If any of you get the chance, go back and watch the film....I don't believe ONCE that Canada actually followed Wilson OR Bienemann into the hole...had he, he would have scored easily, as they both wound up 2-3 yards into the end zone with their guy...Nguyen, on the other hand, DID follow them and scored easily.

Not calling out Canada (OK, maybe I am a little), but how do you NOT follow a 270 lb "fullback" and a 240 lb fullback in that situation?

FIRST, His name is Alex. Second, how the hell do you call a guy out after he scored FOUR goal-line TD's?? I believe the ultimate goal for an offense is to get the ball into the endzone at any cost. Canada did that FOUR TIMES Saturday. The Griz scored 51 points.

AZGrizFan said:
So, we saw several times Saturday Eric Bienemann lined up with Wilson in the backfield with Canada, especially on the multiple 4th and goal/short yardage situations. I applaud this use of the beef! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If any of you get the chance, go back and watch the film....I don't believe ONCE that Canada actually followed Wilson OR Bienemann into the hole...had he, he would have scored easily, as they both wound up 2-3 yards into the end zone with their guy...Nguyen, on the other hand, DID follow them and scored easily.

Not calling out Canada (OK, maybe I am a little), but how do you NOT follow a 270 lb "fullback" and a 240 lb fullback in that situation?

Muscle memory. Canada is so used to the OL not getting it done that his default mode is stuck on "freelance".

havgrizfan said:
FIRST, His name is Alex. Second, how the hell do you call a guy out after he scored FOUR goal-line TD's?? I believe the ultimate goal for an offense is to get the ball into the endzone at any cost. Canada did that FOUR TIMES Saturday. The Griz scored 51 points.

First: Sorry, Alex. :twisted:

2nd: False. One of his TD's was a 33-yarder. 3 Goal line TD's, but it took him 6 tries, and one of the TD's was questionable at best. The OTHER goal line TD was from Nguyen :|

in defense of what az griz fan is saying, I too wondered why he chose run more to their left, almost over the center,,then I thought it must be by design,,,but when you watch the tape, there is little doubt of the push that Wilson and alex were able to achieve....eyes wide shut?

They stole this play from the Denver Broncos who run the "Cowboy Package" who put Mitch Unrein (normally a DT, from Wyoming) as a FB.. sometimes he'll lead block, sometimes swing out into the flat to catch a pass, and I'm just sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for them to give him the rock and take it in.

AZGrizFan said:

I noticed the same thing.....I explained (complained) to my wife what was happening, but it fell on deaf ears

So, since Canada didn't run the way some arm chair's want him to, do the TD's not really count? Did Sac actually win this game?

havgrizfan said:
So, since Canada didn't run the way some arm chair's want him to, do the TD's not really count? Did Sac actually win this game?

Listen. I'm asking a simple question. One would THINK that the design of the play is to follow the beef into the end zone...would have made the plays a LOT less "stressful", and we wouldn't have had to guess on any of them as to whether or not he made it into the end zone...wouldn't have taken 6 tries either. And it wasn't just ONCE, it was multiple times...seems kind of like Football 101...follow the lead blocker(s), especially when they weigh a combined 515 lbs and were blowing holes a Mack truck could have driven through...

I am a big Canada fan, but he does miss the hole sometimes. That 4 and 1 in the EWU game, there was a crease for the first down, but he bounced it to the outside and was stopped for no gain or a loss even. Bennett said on JC's last td that he was hestitating too much and needed to just attack. AZ is right on. The one td, Poole had to grab and swing him around into the endzone as no defender had the outside covered.

Ab looked like he needed a little practice run blocking. One of those tries he was fully upright and blocked with his midriff. He's a talented athlete, just needs a few reps

granitegriz said:
I am a big Canada fan, but he does miss the hole sometimes. That 4 and 1 in the EWU game, there was a crease for the first down, but he bounced it to the outside and was stopped for no gain or a loss even. Bennett said on JC's last td that he was hestitating too much and needed to just attack. AZ is right on. The one td, Poole had to grab and swing him around into the endzone as no defender had the outside covered.

:lol: I completely forgot about THAT.... :|

havgrizfan said:

3 Goal line touchdowns. The other one was Nguyen.

Can anyone tell me why the don't give Wilson a few carrries...even one or two a game? They throw it to him every now and then, why can't they hand it off to him, seems like it would be another option that defenses would have to consider.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
Can anyone tell me why the don't give Wilson a few carrries...even one or two a game? They throw it to him every now and then, why can't they hand it off to him, seems like it would be another option that defenses would have to consider.

I have asked the same question. Brint W. says he has it on good authority that Wilson has told the coaches that he does not want the ball, but wants to block only.

They don't have a goal line short yardage back. I too would like to see Alex get the ball but run em behind Jones use Canada as a decoy.

grizaremoregooder said:
They don't have a goal line short yardage back. I too would like to see Alex get the ball but run em behind Jones use Canada as a decoy.

I'm not sure I want Alex carrying the ball, not a knock on him but unless you are used to carrying the ball and protecting it you may be a ball security liability. As a lead blocker hell yes but as the ball carrier I'm not sure about that.

Back