• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

He had twenty years to free UM from BSC bondage...

Silvertip

No one is more culpable for Montana finding itself watching the college football world pass it by than former President George Dennison. His ambitions for Griz sports never existed beyond maintaining football as a cash cow while overseeing the greatest capital improvement binge in school history. His contempt for fans cultivated to pay filet prices for soup bone competition is equally shared by a complicit GrizNation that has never demanded more...Engstrom is only a footnote - a bumbling clueless clone continuing the regressive philosophy of his arrogant mentor...

Silvertip said:
No one is more culpable for Montana finding itself watching the college football world pass it by than former President George Dennison. His ambitions for Griz sports never existed beyond maintaining football as a cash cow while overseeing the greatest capital improvement binge in school history. His contempt for fans cultivated to pay filet prices for soup bone competition is equally shared by a complicit GrizNation that has never demanded more...Engstrom is only a footnote - a bumbling clueless clone continuing the regressive philosophy of his arrogant mentor...
How right you are, Silver. Dennison screwed up UM in more ways than just football. I'll mention the Missoula College fiasco in the legislature & let it go at that. RE doesn't know up from down re: UM, so he just toes the Dennison line, not just in football.

I'll disagree.

George Dennison was the best president the University of Montana has had since 1950.

UMGriz75 said:
I'll disagree.

George Dennison was the best president the University of Montana has had since 1950.

I agree. Best president UM ever had in modern history and probably ever.

Silvertip said:
His contempt for fans cultivated to pay filet prices for soup bone competition is equally shared by a complicit GrizNation that has never demanded more

So, was Dennison also the evil emperor out of the Star Wars saga?

No, Im with UMGriz75 and PR on this.

Such a good president that he accepted a HUGE pay raise whilst the rest of the UM employees were (are?) on a pay freeze... :bad: :wtf:

That sure is an example of a great leader... :silly:

What a douche :butt:

13thwarrior said:
Such a good president that he accepted a HUGE pay raise whilst the rest of the UM employees were (are?) on a pay freeze... :bad: :wtf:

Well, actually, the pay raise went to Wadid Cruzado when she demanded that particular salary to come to MSU; an unprecedentedly high salary for a Montana University System president. The Board of Regents commanded that it be done. The presidents of the two schools always get equal salaries, and so that automatically bumped up Dennison's salary.

Yeah, I guess, he "accepted it," in the odd way that the State of Montana prints out the paychecks and you don't get to "change" them. On the other hand, Dennison donated (as he consistently did) far in excess of that pay raise back to the University as part of his ongoing generosity to University fundraising campaigns.

If I am recalling correctly, Dennison did take the amount of his pay raise and donated it to the renovations of the Masquer Theater and was honored with its renaming.

George Dennison donated more money and effort, both absolutely and as a percentage of his income, to the University of Montana than any president in its history, and he continues to do so.

PlayerRep said:
UMGriz75 said:
I'll disagree.

I agree. Best president UM ever had in modern history and probably ever.
You're probably right. I don't know why I put that overly cautious qualifier in there.

oh gawd, i agree with greenie and um75. horror of horrors. george 'washington' dennison was a great president for umontana.

UMGriz75 said:
13thwarrior said:

Well, actually, the pay raise went to Wadid Cruzado when she demanded that particular salary to come to MSU; an unprecedentedly high salary for a Montana University System president. The Board of Regents commanded that it be done. The presidents of the two schools always get equal salaries, and so that automatically bumped up Dennison's salary.

Yeah, I guess, he "accepted it," in the odd way that the State of Montana prints out the paychecks and you don't get to "change" them. On the other hand, Dennison donated (as he consistently did) far in excess of that pay raise back to the University as part of his ongoing generosity to University fundraising campaigns.

If I am recalling correctly, Dennison did take the amount of his pay raise and donated it to the renovations of the Masquer Theater and was honored with its renaming.

George Dennison donated more money and effort, both absolutely and as a percentage of his income, to the University of Montana than any president in its history, and he continues to do so.
Even In pay raises you griz find a way to blame the Cats......... Dennison was a Great leader, a whole better than you have now. I know I would not want to trade, kinda like the one the Cats have now.

LTC, I doubt that they were blaming the cats. It is just unfortunate the two salaries are tied together and even more sad MSU is terrible at negotiating a salary.

I'll slot George at number 3 all time.

Oscar Craig has to be number 1, which he actually was. The reasoning is simple, without Oscar there is no George 100 years later.

Craig served as The University of Montana's first President, managing the University nearly single-handedly. He had neither business manager nor registrar to assist him. Oscar Craig also organized the University, collaborated with other Montana educators, and instructed two or three classes each semester. He established the UM campus and its academic programs with much success despite scarcity of funds. During his administration, the number of faculty grew from five members to 27. Craig not only created academic programs, but also established a number of extracurricular activities, such as The Kaimin student newspaper, the Associated Students at The University of Montana, the Shakespeare Club, the Associated Mechanical Engineers, the Silver Cornet Band, two glee clubs, and several Greek organizations.

Also will rank Charles Clapp ahead of George. My reasoning is selfish. I'm fairly sure if I look into it, I'm related to him. My 2nd Great-grandmother was a Clapp, also from Massachusetts.

One of two long-term presidents at UM, Clapp's administration contained great achievements for the University. Despite serving during the Great Depression, Clapp continued to develop the University. He obtained several plots of land to expand UM, including the plot where the Emma B. Lommasson Center now stands and eight square miles in Hellgate Canyon. Clapp established the first Freshman Week to introduce new students to the University and to provide counseling from faculty members and upperclassmen. His administration adopted a new grading system under which graduation required a "C" average. Clapp also worked to establish lower and upper divisions. Charles Clapp became ill and ran the University from his hospital bed. He died in 1935 while still in office.

Silvertip....you are right on the money with your post. Dennison continues to do damage by his influence over our Amish President.

Dennison was a great president at UM, and fostered many of the projects which allowed the university to grow into what it is today. I do not believe for a minute that he is pulling the strings on the Engstrom puppet from behind the scenes. Engstrom can fumble the ball all on his own, without outside influence.

Spanky said:
Silvertip....you are right on the money with your post. Dennison continues to do damage by his influence over our Amish President.
GD was a control freak; his way or the highway. He manipulated University resources to feed his ego with his legacy projects that were only his priority. Like most control freaks, he surrounded himself with "yes" men, to include RE. Cruzado intantly made him look the dinosaur he was.

I will not deny Dennison was at least one of the best presidents UM ever had. He did a lot for the university, but he had his flaws, too. His handling of UM football may be one of them, but his management of Missoula College (then the COT) was atrocious. That is a legacy that I hold him responsible for.

Overall I believe Dennison was god for the University, and even for athletics, although like everyone he made a few mistakes. His biggest mistake came in 1993 when he persuaded the other presidents in the BSC (other than Idaho and Boise State) to agree to reduce scholarships in football to 47. Faced with having programs compete in I-AA with 18 fewer scholarships the Idaho Board of Education finally relented and allowed Idaho and Boise State to move up to FBS. He tried to fix the mess by withdrawing the rule, but Idaho and BSU had the opportunity and took it.

His next biggest mistake was probably in 2003 when the WAC was adding teams after re-alignment and Montana had a small window to make the jump, combined with forcing Hogan to take the fall for the budget issue when he could have/should have stepped up himself.

Spanky said:
you do know that Engstrom is Mormon not Amish, right?

Back