• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GSU to play SDSU (Home and Home)

89rabbit

Looks like Georgia Southern and South Dakota State will be playing each other in the next two seasons. SDSU will travel to Statesboro on 10/30/04 and the Eagles will make the trip to Brookings on 10/29/05. 8)

Go Jackrabbits!

http://www.southern-connection.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7503&postd

2004 Season
9-4 @ Georgia
9-11 Johnson C Smith
9-18 Wofford
9-25 @ UTC
10-2 Elon
10-9 @ WCU
10-16 ASU (HC)
10-23 @ Citadel
10-30 South Dakota State (Family Weekend)
11-6 @ Furman
11-13 @ FIU

9-10 McNeese State
9-17 @ Wofford
9-24 UTC
10-1 @ Elon
10-8 WCU (FW)
10-15 @ ASU
10-22 Citadel (HC)
10-29 @ SD State
11-5 Furman
11-12 @ FIU

This was sent out by the office of alumni last week.

Looks like Montana State is also going to get a visit by your local neighborly Jackrabbits! 8) I for one an very excited about our 2004 schedule.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/stories/20031113/localsports/633437.htm

THE BOBCATS, meanwhile, are still working on their 2003 schedule, but Senior Associate Athletics Director Dan Davies said the team is likely to meet both Cal Poly and South Dakota State in Bozeman during nonconference play. Davies said the Cal Poly game is set for Sept. 18, and that South Dakota State, which is in the transition from NCAA Division II to NCAA I-AA status, will probably be in town Sept. 25.

Davies is still working on another home game for Sept. 11, plus a Sept. 4 game that would provide a large financial guarantee from a NCAA I-A school.

Montana State's other home games next fall include Weber State (Oct. 9), Sacramento State (Nov. 6) and Eastern Washington (Nov. 13).

Go South Dakota State!

Don't take this the wrong way, but those two games could prove to be a long season... or at least the GSU game.

Shakermaker said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but those two games could prove to be a long season... or at least the GSU game.

If I understand your post, and correct me if I am wrong, you are saying that both these games could be very difficult for a new I-AA team. If that is what you are saying then I agree with you. I think SDSU will take some lumps as we ramp up from 36 scholarships to 63. However, we are coming out of the same D-II conf. (the NCC) as Northern Colorado and North Dakota State (and even Northern Iowa) so both GSU and MSU need to be ready for us.

I am very thankful that both these schools decidid to put us on their schedules our first year. My hats off to their ADs. Could it be a long season for the Jackrabbits, the answear is yes. Still, I look forward to getting our feet wet in I-AA for a few years as we get ready for bigger and better things. With any luck perhaps some playoff runs down the road. :D

Go South Dakota State!

89rabbit said:
Shakermaker said:

If I understand your post, and correct me if I am wrong, you are saying that both these games could be very difficult for a new I-AA team. If that is what you are saying then I agree with you. I think SDSU will take some lumps as we ramp up from 36 scholarships to 63. However, we are coming out of the same D-II conf. (the NCC) as Northern Colorado and North Dakota State (and even Northern Iowa) so both GSU and MSU need to be ready for us.

I am very thankful that both these schools decidid to put us on their schedules our first year. My hats off to their ADs. Could it be a long season for the Jackrabbits, the answear is yes. Still, I look forward to getting our feet wet in I-AA for a few years as we get ready for bigger and better things. With any luck perhaps some playoff runs down the road. :D

Go South Dakota State!

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Don't get me wrong, anything can happen. Hopefully that anything will be against MSU. GSU is a big time program. They had an off season this year, but will probably be tough next year.

Ouch! That's a pretty bold schedule for the first couple years.... hip deep in one of the most impressive conferences in I-AA in recent history (Socon), plus the toughest team in the Southland.
We'll be watching and rooting (hey, it's hard not to root for a team with such a fluffy, loveable mascot :wink: ). Good luck.

Where,

I think you are getting our schedule mixed up with GSU's. Sorry about the confusion. Here are the teams we are going to play next year so far (Our AD is still working on a couple of games) dates have not yet been released for all games.

Augustana College
UC-Davis (Sept. 18th)
Winona State
NDSU
Georgia Southern (Oct. 30th)
Northern Colorado
Montana State (Sept. 25th)
Western Oregon
St Mary's(CA)

Go South Dakota State!

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks for straightening me out.
I guess I shoulda read closer. That schedule does look a little more manageble for a first-time-in-the-leaguer. Good luck still and we'll look forward to the Graz/Jackalope matchup!

I have heard that North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Northern Colorado are moving to div. 1-aa. Are North Dakota and South Dakota?

Would the Big Sky take my beloved USU Aggies or do you already have a perennial doormat?

At this point UND has no plans to move up to D-I. They have D-I Hockey and feel this makes them a "D-I" school, so their theory goes. With that mind set they do not want to spend the extra money it would take to move the rest of their programs to D-I/I-AA. USD dosen't have hockey but they too have no plans to move up. They have money issues where they are, and their athletic dept. is a mess. They just got a new AD (a week or two ago) but it will take him some time to get them pointed in the right direction. IMHO, both schools may move up someday, but not anytime soon.

Go South Dakota State!

UND will move up but it will be 5-10 years from now. Just from the past,

NDSU gets artificial surface on the old outdoor stadium in around 1975, UND does the same in 1984.

NDSU builds an indoor facility, completed in 1992, UND follows up in 2001 with one of their own.

NDSU wins 8 national titles and countless number of DII playoff games (champions in '65,'68,'69,'83,'85,'86,'88,&'90) before UND wins a playoff game finally in 1993 and a championship in 2001.

NDSU goes to I-AA in 2004, UND moves up to I-AA in probably 2012 or 2013 (just guessing from past copying.)

NavyBlue said:
I have heard that North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Northern Colorado are moving to div. 1-aa. Are North Dakota and South Dakota?

Would the Big Sky take my beloved USU Aggies or do you already have a perennial doormat?

NavyBlue,

USD fired their coach yesterday. He makes some statements that speak to what I had posted earlier.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Wednesdayarticle1.shtml

"We went out and raised money to make this a better place to be," Austin said. "(USD) has a big dollar deficit within the athletic program that they're going to have to get corrected. All the coaches at USD have to raise dollars. If the coaches didn't do it, the money wouldn't be there. The people just haven't been in place who know what to do as far as raising funds. My hope is that they let the next AD do the things that will be necessary to be successful."

The move comes before the next director of athletics, Joel Nielsen, is officially on-board at USD. Nielsen, who will take over as director of athletics on Dec. 1, will have a hand in naming Austin's replacement.

Go South Dakota State University! Its good to be well funded! 8)

Thanks for the information. I am one that hopes that all the western and central teams do well. With the greedy big BCS boys we may need each other and let them go their own way, and put the college, back into college football.

Fundraising is becoming more and more important in college athletics.

Those that do fundraising well do well ie: SDSU, UM , Boise State.

Those who don't do it well struggle ie: USU, San Jose State, Idaho.

Here is a story from the Sioux Falls, SD newspaper dealing with SDSU's quest to find a D-I/I-AA home:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle4.shtml

Big East shake-up affects SDSU

Chris Solari
Argus Leader

published: 11/23/2003

As does the cascade of conference raids taking place across the nation

Forget the usual suspects for a second. Some of the key players in South Dakota State University's search for a Division I conference have been Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College.

Don't roll your eyes yet.

Truth is, when those three schools agreed earlier this year to leave the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference, they set in motion a domino effect that is causing major reverberations among even the smallest Division I conferences.

And that includes the leagues which have been mentioned as possible homes for the SDSU Jackrabbits - the Mid-Continent Conference, the Horizon League and the Big Sky - as they move their athletic programs to Division I.

"The conferences we've been talking to obviously are in a little bit of a wait-and-see mode," SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said. "It's simply to see what happens to their own membership, but also what might be left and how that might all be organized."

Consider the chain of events: After Virginia Tech, Miami and Boston College bolted from the Big East, that conference moved quickly to find replacements, plundering Conference USA for Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette and DePaul.

"Conference USA saw this as an opportunity to reconfigure itself as a pure (Division) I-A southern-based football-playing conference, and they were able to do that," Big East Commissioner Michael Tranghese said at a press conference. "So when we saw that we might be able to fill our needs, and they, at the same time, would do the same thing - we would not have to reach out to other conferences and be disruptive. To me, it was the best choice that we could possibly make."

Of course, it also was disruptive. Conference USA acted by swiping Rice, Southern Methodist and Tulsa from the Western Athletic Conference. The WAC is now looking at a few Sun Belt Conference schools. And so on, and so on ....

"This conference realignment thing continues to seem to bounce around," St. Louis University Athletic Director Doug Woolard told The Associated Press after moving his basketball-playing school from Conference USA to the Atlantic 10 earlier this week.

Many of those schools play Division I-A football, while SDSU will move into the second-highest classification of I-AA.

Attendance requirements at the I-A level also will affect some conferences after next football season.

Those regulations require football teams in that division to play five home games against other I-A opponents, and mandates that attendance at those games top 15,000 people. Previous rules were based on ticket sales. The attendance requirement could propel a bevy of teams entering I-AA to form new leagues or make other conferences decide to reorganize.

One conference which could be drastically affected is the Mid-American Conference, considered one of the best mid-major football leagues in I-A.

According to NCAA figures from this season, 10 schools nationwide have average attendance totals below 15,000. Half of those universities are in the MAC, which is also a prime target for a raid because of its basketball prowess. That could cause a major split in the 14-team conference, which will already lose Marshall and Central Florida to Conference USA.

SDSU has also discussed forming a I-AA football league with six other schools. A formal meeting to discuss that league is set for Dec. 8-9 in Las Vegas.

"It is an exciting time in intercollegiate athletics," Oien said. "Some people don't like it. But on the other hand, this realignment creates all kinds of new opportunities for everybody."

Latest posts

Back