• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GSU Moving Up Video

GrizMusician

I think the president & AD of Georgia Southern bring up several good points in this video. I wish that or current leadership had the ambition & hunger for success that these two academic leaders do.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAlu3fUbUqE[/youtube]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Love how everyone thinks they're going to be the next Boise State. That's what Marshall, Umass, Texas Sate, etc., said.

Lets compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Completely different situations. Both of those schools probably have 30+ FBS schools within a couple hrs bus ride. If the Griz were in the So conf I'm sure they would be moving up with them. UM is in a bit of a different situation. As I said before the move is coming and it will be done correctly not just a knee jerk to satisfy the move up crowd.

Redonkuless1 said:
Every day you get better or worse, you never stay the same. I for one think they are right.

I agree with this. We don't need to be moving up in order to continuously improve our program though.

An absolutely spot on message that addresses ALL of the relevant issues that UM and its head-in-the-sand administrators and fans fail to see. It was a quick mention, but they acknowledged that achieving a higher public profile commensurate with peer institutions in attracting more students and a stronger faculty is essential. A lot of the points are fairly transferable to a struggling institution (ours) that could benefit with improvement on both counts...The video should be must viewing for everybody who cares a whit about the need of UM to finally develop something terribly missing for so long - VISION... GSU gets it! UM never has...

If you want to know what helps keep UM in limbo consider these responses to the video: a poster who wrongheadedly interprets the GSU president's reference to Boise State as meaning their goal is to be the next BSU. That's not what he said. As for the "knee jerk" reaction, well that's been 20 years in the making hasn't it and still counting? And as for the "don't move up - just improve" statement, that's just too ludicrous to warrant a response.

"We've met the enemy and the enemy is us..."

Silvertip said:
An absolutely spot on message that addresses ALL of the relevant issues that UM and its head-in-the-sand administrators and fans fail to see. It was a quick mention, but they acknowledged that achieving a higher public profile commensurate with peer institutions in attracting more students and a stronger faculty is essential. A lot of the points are fairly transferable to a struggling institution (ours) that could benefit with improvement on both counts...The video should be must viewing for everybody who cares a whit about the need of UM to finally develop something terribly missing for so long - VISION... GSU gets it! UM never has...

If you want to know what helps keep UM in limbo consider these responses to the video: a poster who wrongheadedly interprets the GSU president's reference to Boise State as meaning their goal is to be the next BSU. That's not what he said. As for the "knee jerk" reaction, well that's been 20 years in the making hasn't it and still counting? And as for the "don't move up - just improve" statement, that's just too ludicrous to warrant a response.

Great post Silvertip!

Good video by GSU, I commend them on having the vision and courage to progress there university and brand. I for one feel they as well as App State will have great success. They have worked hard and earned this. I wish both universities and there fans the best.

Sadly I don't think many Griz fan want to see or understand the severity of UM sitting on its hands if you will. For years and years we would see fairly minor shake ups in college football with conference realignment. A team or two would move from one conference to another, but nothing major. Or at least nothing like we have seen of recent date.

over the past three years we have seen huge movement on the conference stage. This movement not only in the FBS level but even in the FCS level. You have to look at these changes and know there is a reason why these schools are making these shifts. It's all about money and prestige, making your brand more noticeable and wanted.

The major powers in college football are in the drivers seat in all of this. These universities already make huge amounts of money. That fact is not going to change and if anything it will grow. Make no mistake FBS schools will get to a point where they will not play FCS schools. We are seeing this starting to happen already in the Big 10. TV contracts will drive out the FBS vs FCS games. Other FBS conferences will follow the B10 because they will have to if they want to command the same dollar.

We all have to realize that many FCS schools use and look at scheduling FBS games as a way to make ends meet and honestly to survive. When these games dry up what happens to these FCS programs? Do they let there programs falter or do they decide to drop football all together, in turn putting more strain on a handfull of currently sussesful FCS programs. We already find it hard to schedule good OOC games in WA Griz and this will get even harder as time goes on. The power conferences will turn heavily towards the Mid major FBS schools for OOC games and will be able and willing to pay a higher dollar for these games as it will keep the TV networks happy.

Our hand will be forced in this make no mistake. If anything I think the top level FCS programs are in the hardest spot. We know we can't keep doing what we are doing but we also are just not certain about a move either. We have had so many great years and memories at this level. However we need to look to our nearest brothers and the path and direction they are choosing.

Let's not let our past success become a time gone by and a memory. Let's plow forward with our brothers to the East in GSU and App State and make our move to build new memories.

Spot on Silvertip! Royce is a douche and he would rather die than put out a forward looking, positive video about OMG...football!

GrizMusician said:
Silvertip said:

Great post Silvertip!

I agree it was a great post. GSU leadership is bold and willing to take a calculated risk. What the UM "non-move up" crowd never admits is that doing nothing has risks too. Remember, "it's not always the strong that eats the weak, the fast can eat the slow". UM needs bold new leadership to get the university into the "race" instead of keeping it on the sidelines.

Both BSU and GSU are similiar in that they have grown from very small colleges to decent sized universities in relatively short amount of time. By short I mean 30 to 40 yrs. I was amazed at orientation this year to learn how much Bsu has changed in the last ten years. They told us parents that a degree from bsu was worth soo much more today then a degree ten years ago because of better staff, better facilities and the name recognition now associated with bsu acedemics. I wonder how big bsu could become if they had the land around campus to grow? I wish Gsu the best in their quest to grow as a university.

FBS football is all about exposure and university image.

That is why so many don't mind losing money in athletics due to the advertising and being associated with other school they want to be considered as a peer institution.

OrgonGriz said:
Our hand will be forced in this make no mistake.

Let's not let our past success become a time gone by and a memory. Let's plow forward with our brothers to the East in GSU and App State and make our move to build new memories.

And possibly the WORST thing we could do is wait until our hand is FORCED, and we're left with no alternatives...

Hammer said:
Lets compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Completely different situations. Both of those schools probably have 30+ FBS schools within a couple hrs bus ride. If the Griz were in the So conf I'm sure they would be moving up with them. UM is in a bit of a different situation. As I said before the move is coming and it will be done correctly not just a knee jerk to satisfy the move up crowd.

The griz would have no more Travel miles playing a FBS Schedule Than a FCS.

Back