• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grizzly Fan Priorities - Why they come to the game

Sweetwyne

I am wondering the percenteges of people in the crowd that come to the games not because of game but just for the social spectacle. It is obvious that Griz football is the biggest draw in the state and the last few years the spectacle is almost more anticipated than the games. Just wonder about your thoughts.

For me it is both - I would still go to the game without the atmosphere and the tailgating, but it wouldn't be as much fun - look at Griz BB - I know there are there other issues with BB, but even when there is a big crowd they mostly sit on their hands (the second 1/2 of teh bobcat game comes to mind as an exception). I'm not saying the alcohol makes it exciting, but the truth is the party atmosphere is what makes football so much fun, and you don't get that just by playing the PA system at gum bleeding levels. You get that by having people come and socialize and have a good time AND watch a football game.

Here is a related question - what makes Missoula the best place for I-AA football? If 23,000 football experts who really loved the game and didn't drink or party showed up 5 minutes before the game, clapped politely and went home after the game would it really be that much fun?

Some of these posts remind me of the people who go to minor league baseball games and sit there with a scorecard and record everything that happens and they know every detail that happened, but in the end they didn't really have any fun. If the Griz crowd was like that I might stop going.

Since moving from Missoula just after the '95 NC, I have spent a majority of my Fall Saturday afternoons watching Griz football either on Satilite or via the computer. I have and still am a season ticket holder since 1979. I went to the games before the tailgating became such a social attractation as it is now. That being said it sure is much more fun in todays world of tailgating.

My wife and I seem to meet alot of people who have either lived in Missoula or have attended a Griz game or two during the past 10 years and the first thing that comes out of their mouths "Wow, what a great place to party", and my wife replies with "yeah, there's nothing like the social atmosphere of a Griz game".

I guess my point here is that the University has created such an enjoyable social environment for fans and with that environment more and more fans have become Hard core Griz fans, which of course is a good thing.

IMHO I do not believe that the Griz would have had or have the following it has now without the social event it has created, IMO.

And all that have brought up the temps, please note that all the posters advocating night games have said early season.

I'm telling you that in the NDSU and Idaho games it was only nice in the sun for about a quarter. Then it became VERY UNCOMFORTABLE baking in the sun. People around me were putting shirts over their heads to try to get relief.

The night games would be in Aug, Sept., early Oct. when it is perfect evenings for football. When the temps are 60 daytime, 40 at 8:00 pm then you switch back to day games.

The travel problems I don't have a solution for. Except stay over.

And I'll tell you from experience there are 100,000 people in Montana that would LOVE to see the games on TV and they can't because they work on Saturdays and the game is at 1:00. I know I was one of them for years. I would always look forward to games at Portland and NAU because they were at night and I could watch the game. Home games us working Joes were SOL and that sucked.

Don't just be a ME, ME, ME person. Think about the 10's of thousands that can't catch the Griz because they have to work.

I posted that on the other board (I am 85griz91), but it is applicable here too:

I think the University is making one of their biggest mistakes with the football program by already curtailing tailgating to the extent they do (after games, Friday night, etc.) UM should promote the tailgating (not necessarily the drinking, as I understand the liability issues with that), but the event itself. Invite people to come early and stay late. Keep the concessions open as long as people want to stay and enjoy the win. Promote it as one more thing we have that the competition doesn't.

grizpack said:
I posted that on the other board (I am 85griz91), but it is applicable here too:

I think the University is making one of their biggest mistakes with the football program by already curtailing tailgating to the extent they do (after games, Friday night, etc.) UM should promote the tailgating (not necessarily the drinking, as I understand the liability issues with that), but the event itself. Invite people to come early and stay late. Keep the concessions open as long as people want to stay and enjoy the win. Promote it as one more thing we have that the competition doesn't.

Agreed. :wink:

I think the first step would be to get the lights up.

I thought a donor gave enough money for the lights in addition to other improvements that we already see.

I would love the lights.

Get some HS games. I think Griz fans would come to more Missoula HS games if it was at UM, just a hunch.

And i'd be all for a game or 2 or three at night. I know outta towners might not like it, ie those driving just short enough that a midday game gets over in time for them to be home at a reasonable time, yet the drive is too far to be doing at all hours of the late night.
I think if it was one game or 2 they might be willing to spring for a room.

As it stands now though it doesn't matter we're about as full as we can get. :D

Well I can start this debate about whether or not out of towners would support night games by saying I would LOVE to see one or two night games a year. Yes it was uncomfortably hot the last two home games, and sounds like it will be again this sat. I know there are some who commute much farther than we do (Butte), but I would guess most of them stay overnight anyway. I have relatives in Missoula with extra room so getting a motel room isn't an issue, but even if it was I wouldn't mind getting a room for the night. I have a great designated driver and we usually come home after the games, but staying over for a night game sounds like alot of fun. Doesn't really matter, the Griz could play at 3 am and we would be there. Night games would be cool!!

Mr Hogan, Order those Lights!!!!!!!!!

The same person that donated for the sprinturf, donated money for lights. Hogan hasn't used it due to possible future expansion of the stadium, like upper decks on east and west side, more box seats, and/or media boxes, for example. Not sure which.

But the lights that would go in were never intended to move Griz football games to night, more like hosting high school games to make the football stadium more of a multi-use facility.

Personnally, since it takes so long for me to unwind after a game, I prefer the day games over night games. What I would really prefer, since it is so agonizing waiting for the game to start, is for earlier start times, like 10 a.m. And if we have lights, we could have games start at 5 a.m. and tailgate all day after the game.

As I posted under another topic, night games don't work for the majority of the fans outside Missoula. Making it a day long excursion is one thing turning it in to a two day trip is another. We have season tickets (NEZ) and it's a perfect way to spend the day. If we have to worry about driving at night or staying it becomes more difficult to attend. Remember this is a great FAMILY day and if you look around there are many families attending. It was this atmosphere that has grown the attendence. With late games, not all kids can attend. Also tailgating in the dark, cold nights etc is going to have an effect. On cold nights, it would be tough enough to bring enough clothes to stay warm let alone have the energy to YELL. The morning/afternoon sun and family atmosphere makes Grizzlie football what it is. Don't try to fix something that isn't broke and has been successful.

maltdog said:
As I posted under another topic, night games don't work for the majority of the fans outside Missoula. Making it a day long excursion is one thing turning it in to a two day trip is another. We have season tickets (NEZ) and it's a perfect way to spend the day. If we have to worry about driving at night or staying it becomes more difficult to attend. ..... It was this atmosphere that has grown the attendence. With late games, not all kids can attend. Also tailgating in the dark, cold nights etc is going to have an effect. On cold nights, it would be tough enough to bring enough clothes to stay warm let alone have the energy to YELL. The morning/afternoon sun and family atmosphere makes Grizzlie football what it is. Don't try to fix something that isn't broke and has been successful.

It sounds as if the out of town fans that responded to this thread think the kickoff times should revolve around their schedules.

No one is saying to make all games night games. I happen to drive from WASHINGTON (just a bit out of town.....) on Friday nights after work and pull in to Missoula around midnight. It's either drive at night or leave at 4 A.M. on game day (when it's also dark). It makes it even more interesting when kickoff is at 12:05 after the time change.

There are alot of folks who have to work on Saturday that can't attend day games and take their kids. No one seems to be worried about them.

I don't think anybody said a thing about tailgating in the dark. The idea that has been tossed around (by those of us who have no real say anyway) is to allow tailgating all day (there's your family time in the sun) and not allowing fans to leave at halftime (no more 3rd quarter, half-empty stadium).

It also can't be any harder to "bring enough clothes to stay warm and Yell" on an occasional early Sept./Oct. evening (as has been suggested) than it is for current (daytime) playoff games in the middle of December.
Who's to say that a couple of early season night games wouldn't be successful.
Code:

Working folks are banned from Griz football.

And I mentioned earlier that it isn't just the working folks being shut out from attending a game. They can't even see them on TV.

There are an additional potential 100-150,000 Griz fans statewide that work Saturdays. These are folks that might take a greater interest in Griz football if they were allowed to actually follow it. That's a lot of potential fans and supporters that are being shunned.

And I keep hearing "If it ain't broke don't try fixing it" Well my friends I say if there are a 100,000 people that are being denied access to the Griz then IT IS BROKE!

Every person should be able to see the Griz play. On TV or in person and if you deny them then you are being selfish.

Come on now ronbo....wouldnt a true Giz fan just quit his job if he had to work on game day....sounds reasonable to me :wink:

Who says that since you can't see the game live or on TV means you can't follow the Griz? And that you are shunned? Please...

Come on... people make choices, or have the choice made for them, to work on game day, or flat out not attend. That isn't a conspiracy by the UM or anyone else.

They have these things called VCR's, and you put a thing called a TAPE in them... it lets your record a television program! Very cool idea... I'm gonna have to get me one...

When I lived in Billings from 92-2000, we'd try and make a home game once a year, watch on TV, listen to the radio, watch the sports highlights later that night, or read the next days paper...

Lots of media outlets allowing anyone who wishes to... to follow the Griz...

Sometimes I wonder what color the sky is in your world Ronbo..

Just discussing the merits of night games. Many don't seem to think that day games hurt anyone. Well I pointed it out that it does hurt many that are not to be able to enjoy the games.

But GGG needs to always insult, put in a jab like he thinks people are stupid, or he bashes and smacks on the wrong board.

I'll tell you this GGG, my sky is much bluer than yours because you show a lack of respect and that is a trait that shows that you have a black perception of others. That is a trait of a negative person.

Ronbo, and wouldn't night games shut out those folks who work Saturday nights? I've worked Saturday nights, so don't tell me no one falls into this category. And, for what it's worth, I much prefer day games to night games -- and I've done both.

There's no PERFECT time to hold the games. So, I'll go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. If Washington-Grizzly Stadium were only half full on Saturday afternoons, then moving some games to another time might be worth a try. But, that's not the case, and I think it's a good idea to just leave well enough alone. Besides, you can't sell more seats at this point -- there aren't any available.

I think the glass is half full my friend...

Im just pointing out the fact that your post sounds like your saying there is some conspiracy that all people who support the Griz shouldn't have to work on Saturdays. Our Governor is just about dumb enough to pass that legislation :lol:

Wasn't trying to be rude. Go back and read your post again... It really sounds like you think its unfair for anyone who wants to see the Griz game but can't is getting some bad deal.

People make choices whether they go or not. The world doesn't revolve around Saturday Griz Games (as much as we all think it does), the clock doesn't stop ticking, and life goes on. I feel bad for those that want to be there but can't. But there is nothing that you or I can do about it.

You, my friend, are the one who posts negative things. Like the one about Dennis Murphy (the trainer) being responsible for not getting new Griz Helmets. I'm just trying to shed a different light on your point of view.

:oops: Wow, maybe I need to re-think....... Let's see, we have a stadium to seat 23,000-- we sell out every home game--are the envy of 1AA football--have great atmosphere AND there's another 100,000 people waiting to come if we go to night games........with that kind of statement I guess I can't argue. Just hope we can get another new addition done in time!! :D :eek: Either way and whatever time, I'm there or I'll use one of those new inventions GGG mentioned and I'll tape it!!

Latest posts

Back