• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grizz Looked Great...Question about the Refs

biggrizzfan

Been to Many Grizz home games. I thought they looked great saturday. But I did notice...the game officials seemed to be different than our usual Big Sky fair. The UM website said the boys were from the Big Sky Conference, but I did not recognize anyone. Anyone know if they were Big Sky???

I thought they did a nice job though where ever they were from.

Please add your thoughts on how you felt they called the game.....????

The refs for the Idaho game were Sun Belt Conference refs.
When Griz played Idaho at their place, Big Sky Conference Refs were used. Many times when playing non-conference games on the road, the refs of the conference of the visiting teams are used. That is to help prevent homerism. This also happens in other sports like basketball.

In the playoffs, the refs that are reffing the games come from completely different conferences than what the two teams are in. That is the best situation, but cannot be done during regular season games.

I thought the refs were terrible. The blown call on the punt return was obvious and they called wayyyyy too many penalties, both ways.

Gosh,biggrizfan, your first post--think you can stir up a hornet's nest? The call on the punt was totally blown--one of the most obvious ref mistakes I have seen in awhile. How they could conference for a seeming 15 minutes--then arrive at that decision--is totally beyond me. No Montana player even came near the ball.

They messed up on the punt to Evander Segars. I could did not see the ball even come close to him. The problem with the refs is they take to long to make the call and mark off the penalty. This sometime slows the momentum of an offense or cools down a hot defense. The radio mentioned that the officiating crew could be written up by a coach. If the penalty takes the whole Jeopardy theme it is too long!! Penalties always seem to come on the big plays from scrimmage and never on 2 yard gains it seems. Why is that? [/img]

Penalties happen most often on big plays because with out the penalty, holding, block in the back ect. the big play would not have happened as the offende would have made the tackle.

grizfilmer said:
They messed up on the punt to Evander Segars. I could did not see the ball even come close to him. The problem with the refs is they take to long to make the call and mark off the penalty. This sometime slows the momentum of an offense or cools down a hot defense. The radio mentioned that the officiating crew could be written up by a coach. If the penalty takes the whole Jeopardy theme it is too long!! Penalties always seem to come on the big plays from scrimmage and never on 2 yard gains it seems. Why is that? [/img]

While I agree that the refs messed up the the punt. I will try to defend them alittle bit. On the reply it was hard to tell at first who leg the ball went off was it the Spud or the player who pushed him into Segars. Segars was not a factor in the touching. Now being an offical for 20 years I can tell you that everything happens very fast especially during a web of people. Now I believe during the replay the annoucers at first thought the ball hit the blocker from the griz but during the second and third replay and by slowing it down it difintely went off the Idaho player. Which in turn would make it first touching and griz ball. Now that being said if it took 2 to 3 replays to determine whos leg the ball went off then amagine at real speed with player flying all around.

In regards to penalties occuring during big plays and not on 2 yarders, well maybe that was a reason the play became a big gainer.

I will perface this responds by admitting that I am the first to yell at the officials (during a Griz game) if I did not like the call, but I can also see the other side, however it just takes me a day or so after a Griz Game..

My question is, during their 5 minute huddle, why didn't one of them actually look up at the Griz Vision that was showing the replay over and over. Hell, they don't even have to be obvious about it. It was clear that they were trying to sort out what was happening, so actually getting it right would have only made them look better.

grizpack said:
My question is, during their 5 minute huddle, why didn't one of them actually look up at the Griz Vision that was showing the replay over and over. Hell, they don't even have to be obvious about it. It was clear that they were trying to sort out what was happening, so actually getting it right would have only made them look better.

There isn't supposed to be instant replay used by refs in college football, so they cannot use the Grizzly Vision. May have problems with the official rules covering that.

I know they can't officially use it. I just have trouble believing one of them wouldn't "sneak" a peak, and try to step in if it is obviously the wrong call (which it was).

Ha. I bet that is why they took so long on making the call "ok..huddle up guys...what do you think? isht man I don't know? what about you? no clue? lets check the jumbo tron...anyone looking at us!....you look...no you look."

Plain and simple ~ They sucked.:pee:
It was sad. Too many huddles indicated the referee, Mr. Whitehat didn't have a clue and had to call upon his "buddies" for opinions. Mr. Whitehat threw almost every flag in the first half. (Of course the sloppy play didn't help.) The blown call that we all saw on the punt was the icing on the cake.

But what can you do? I'm just glad the Griz kicked ass.

I'll see ya all at the game!

I've been thinking of getting a shirt made with TITT on it.
Small letters on the bottom would say Throw It To Talmage.

PolsonGrizFan said:
I've been thinking of getting a shirt made with TITT on it.
Small letters on the bottom would say Throw It To Talmage.

Another great blue ribbon idea there. Good ole' American ingenuity at its finest. And the best part is we can all say we saw it on egriz.com! Its one of the things that make this site such a kick. The niffty ideas, poems, etc., etc. Any wonder that egriz is the liveliest website in 1-AA. :D

Back