• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Slide to No. 11; UMass Mad About Not Having Home Game

grizfan5

The Griz are no. 11 in the new poll. UMass is no. 5. The Boston press is complaining that UMass didn't get a home game, despite having lost only to Kansas St. (I believe) and Delaware (in overtime). The articles apparently mention Hogan. UMass averaged 7706 in attendance per home game this year.

All Cubbie fans should be very thankful that IF they meet UMass, it will be in Montana. Them UMassers have a pretty good squad, one that has more enough firepower on both sides of the ball to get to Chattanooga. But first things first, them Cubbies have a pretty tough WIU team to get by before they can even think about those Minutemen. Meanwhile down here in Henville we is still tryin to figure out how and why the Roosters get to face the #4 :eek: team in 1aa as a reward for being the #2 seed in the playoffs??? But we is a plannin on takin care of business regardless. Good luck to all you cubbies, Chattanooga here we come! :lol:

Here's the URL to a Boston Globe article. The UMass coach slammed the selection committee and some specific people, including Hogan. The coach, who I believe played QB for Brown in the old days, obviously doesn't know the playoff selection rules. There's an interesting discussion of how the selections were done: top 4 teams selected, next 12 selected, all 12 treated equally, teams that can travel by bus (to save money) are matched.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2003/11/24/unhappy_umass_told_to_hit_road/

I'm too computer-illiterate to figure out how to make the URL live, unless it's going to get live on its own. While I see the URL box above, feel free to inform me how to use it.

thanks for the link.

Interesting stuff.

Compared to UMASS we are indeed lucky, as, like the article says, Umass only lost to Kansas State and in 3OT to Delaware.

However, while the Colgate game is away for UMass it is a game they should win handily. Heck, even if it means traveling for the Griz I'd rather play Colgate than either WIU or Umass.

Whatever the case, it's quite clear the current method is crap, and the old 1-16 seeding is/was much much better.

grizfan5 if you haven't already.....

just click the link with your mouse (left button) and it will open another window to that linked site.

8)

Thanks for the link! :wink:

The Missouilian said this morning that UMass didn't put in a bid for a second round playoff game at all. Does anyone know did they bid on a first round?

foresthome said:
The Missouilian said this morning that UMass didn't put in a bid for a second round playoff game at all. Does anyone know did they bid on a first round?

I just read the Missoulian just now, and didn't see any mention of UMass not putting in a bid for second round. It was Colgate that did not bid for second round. Thus, Colgate will travel if they get to second round. Evidently, $40,000 for a second round game is a bit much for a school that doesn't get much support. Especially, after shelling out $30,000 for a first round game.

And Colgate did bid for first round. Colgate is hosting UMass this weekend, and that would only happen if you put in a bid.

You are right True Griz, I had it backwards. That is what I get for trying to remember what I read 12 hours ago and before I had my coffee.

Certainly can't blame the UMass coach for being upset. And I would be upset too if I was the Deleware coach. You would think they deserved to play some 7-5 pansy in the first round instead of a tough Ill team.

NativeGriz said:
Certainly can't blame the UMass coach for being upset. And I would be upset too if I was the Deleware coach. You would think they deserved to play some 7-5 pansy in the first round instead of a tough Ill team.

The NCAA needs to re-evaluate their regional seeding for tournaments . . you're right about Delaware, they deserve an easier opponent in the first round.

There are no 4-loss teams in the playoffs, let alone 5-loss teams. While I too wish the playoffs still seeded all 16 teams, the high cost of the playoffs (like travel costs), and large losses of the playoffs (a half million dollars last year), have resulted in the present system which seeds only 4 teams (and matches the remaining teams largely by geographic proximity, which results in the most bus rides and lowest miles for airline charters). I believe the UMass coach was more upset by not getting a home game, than by who they have to play. By the way, Colgate and UMass open against each other next fall.

Back