• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Secondary?

THE HERD

The Griz secondary(specifically your safeties)gonna be any better than last year? Just wondering after seeing what the Whioux did to ya in Grand Forks and Appy coming into your house with thier stacked recieving core......could get a little ugly. I mean no offence by starting a thread on your board, just can't wait for the season to get rolling and need to pass the time some how!

this stinks.......sure you're not just passing gas :eek:

have no fear that the secondary is making amends......even the coaches are into it.

UM's secondary did fine against App St last year, when the safeties were healthy and there was more safety depth. UM passed for more against App St than App St did against UM. Perhaps the better question would be how good is App St's secondary, and what will they do against our top-notch qb who did not play last year? See below link to last year's game stats. Note UM's 3 interceptions and 1 fumble, compared to none for App St and the point differential.

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/um-app.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't know you had injury issues, if thats the case I'm sure you guys will get the W against App being at home and having your qb back. Good Luck this season...hope to see ya in the playoffs :thumb:

THE HERD said:
I didn't know you had injury issues, if thats the case I'm sure you guys will get the W against App being at home and having your qb back. Good Luck this season...hope to see ya in the playoffs :thumb:

Well, you'll get a test early in the year by playing the Bobscats....

Oh....wait.

THE HERD said:

No one believes UM's pass defense and secondary play was good last year, or even close to being up to par. This includes fans, players and coaches. There were obvious issues, especially as the season went on and especially given that UM was close to leading the nation in sacks. Contributing to the bad stats was the fact that many of the best passing teams in the nation are in the Big Sky. One starting safety had a toe/foot problem as well as a neck problem. One backup safety was lost for the season fairly early. I think another one down the depth chart was out too. At times, the 2 backups were hurt and out for a game or two. The 4 rotating corners were all young or new to the program. There were some pass coverage issues with the backers at times. All of this contributed to some awful games for the pass defense. There's a new safety coach this year. Young and played at Oregon St. Last year's coach was old with lots of coaching experience, but probably not into coaching at UM. There is no doubt the pass defense will be better this year, probably much better. The question is how much.

PlayerRep said:
THE HERD said:

No one believes UM's pass defense and secondary play was good last year, or even close to being up to par. This includes fans, players and coaches. There were obvious issues, especially as the season went on and especially given that UM was close to leading the nation in sacks. Contributing to the bad stats was the fact that many of the best passing teams in the nation are in the Big Sky. One starting safety had a toe/foot problem as well as a neck problem. One backup safety was lost for the season fairly early. I think another one down the depth chart was out too. At times, the 2 backups were hurt and out for a game or two. The 4 rotating corners were all young or new to the program. There were some pass coverage issues with the backers at times. All of this contributed to some awful games for the pass defense. There's a new safety coach this year. Young and played at Oregon St. Last year's coach was old with lots of coaching experience, but probably not into coaching at UM. There is no doubt the pass defense will be better this year, probably much better. The question is how much.

and our defense got worn out as the game went on because our offense couldnt substain many drives..

And it was colder and louder for us. And all our drives were up hill. And....shit I'm drunk and it's noon on Thursday or so...

PlayerRep said:
THE HERD said:

translated means p.r. had no clue as usual. our secondary is basically the same batch as last year. since we're switching to a run-based offense they aren't getting tested much in practice. we're counting our o line and backs to keep the ball away from opposing offenses to protect the secondary this year. we need to get the lead early, get the ball back and then ground-n-pound. it's our best bet for getting back in the playoffs because our pass game is weak even with j.j. back. our top returning receiver only had 23 catches last year and we don't have much speed out there or a qb that can get it to them if we could. we can definitely run and stop the run, but pass and stop the pass is an adventure.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
THE HERD said:

translated means p.r. had no clue as usual. our secondary is basically the same batch as last year. since we're switching to a run-based offense they aren't getting worked much in practice. we're counting our o line and backs to keep the ball away from opposing offenses to protect the secondary this year. we need to get the lead early, get the ball back and then ground-n-pound. it's our best bet for getting back in the playoffs because our pass game is weak even with j.j. back. our top returning receiver only had 23 catches last year and we don't have much speed out their or a qb that can get it to them if we could. we can definitely run and stop the run, but pass and stop the pass is an adventure.

stoolzjizzy: Why do you pretend to be a Griz fan? Just curious.

GrizPony said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
THE HERD said:

translated means p.r. had no clue as usual. our secondary is basically the same batch as last year. since we're switching to a run-based offense they aren't getting worked much in practice. we're counting our o line and backs to keep the ball away from opposing offenses to protect the secondary this year. we need to get the lead early, get the ball back and then ground-n-pound. it's our best bet for getting back in the playoffs because our pass game is weak even with j.j. back. our top returning receiver only had 23 catches last year and we don't have much speed out their or a qb that can get it to them if we could. we can definitely run and stop the run, but pass and stop the pass is an adventure.

why do you insist on burying your head in the sand? i just tell it like it is. someone has to or we look like a bunch of bush league fans.

stoolzjizzy: Don't group us together as a "we" or "us". Your gig is up. Just post as the person you are in real life. You know, a loser. You're welcome for the free advice.

GrizPony said:
stoolzjizzy: Don't group us together as a "we" or "us". Your gig is up. Just post as the person you are in real life. You know, a loser. You're welcome for the free advice.
cool. a name caller. you fit right in with the rest of the lemmings.

grizpony. why not stay on topic and dbunk what i said instead of avoiding the subject? if you're such a big fan you should at least be able to take a stab

getgrizzy said:
grizpony. why not stay on topic and dbunk what i said instead of avoiding the subject? if you're such a big fan you should at least be able to take a stab

What was your point again? You want me to stab you somewhere? Why don't you quit trying to deflect from my point that you are NOT a Griz fan? Don't try to circumscribe my posting you micro-brained foreskin.

getgrizzy said:
GrizPony said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

why do you insist on burying your head in the sand? i just tell it like it is. someone has to or we look like a bunch of bush league fans.

getgrizzy has been consistently wrong on almost every subject he's ever posted on. I can't recall much he's ever been right on. Told us the ncaa had rejected UM's offer of 4 lost schollies and considering a playoff ban. Completely untrue. Just one of many examples. My post on the secondary is spot on. Front 7s can't protect secondaries most of the time. It just doesn't work that way. Only smaller things can be done and only on certain plays. UM may have the best speed at receiver that it's ever had. JJ has improved considerably from 2 years ago. Stronger and more accurate arm. Has the potential to be one of the premier qb's in the nation.

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
THE HERD said:

and our defense got worn out as the game went on because our offense couldnt substain many drives..

I don't think that's right, 420. Montana was third in total offense last year and ranked 11th nationally. The Griz had 625 plays on offense second only to MSU in conference. The Griz were seventh for punts. The Griz offense was ranked third for first downs.
The offense was 10th in time of possession, but was only 3:40 off the conference leader MSU.

Back