• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ search for post help

mtgrizrule

Here is a link of the list of top 100 JC recruits. A lot of guys over 6'8" show unsigned from the JC level. I am not sure when this list was updated, but would be great to somehow land a player or 2 to help us
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2013-juco-top-100-player-rankings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a better list and link: http: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Feel free to customize your search to positions after going here. I could not get the link to work for each position.

I wish JC information were easier to come by. HS recruiting is pretty easy to find.

A lot of solid 6'8" plus guys are still unsigned. I am sure Wayne hates to pull scholarships, but it needs to be done to get a good big man in here. Then again, maybe the sour taste from Syracuse will motivate Hutchison and Martin to a lot in the off season. I would think a butt whipping like that would motivate every damn one of them for next year. If not, it might be wise to find out who wants to be here and who does not?

mtgrizrule said:
I wish JC information were easier to come by. HS recruiting is pretty easy to find.

A lot of solid 6'8" plus guys are still unsigned. I am sure Wayne hates to pull scholarships, but it needs to be done to get a good big man in here. Then again, maybe the sour taste from Syracuse will motivate Hutchison and Martin to a lot in the off season. I would think a butt whipping like that would motivate every damn one of them for next year. If not, it might be wise to find out who wants to be here and who does not?
It is not necessarily an issue of "who wants to be here and who does not." I don't think dedication was an issue for what I believe was an overachieving Griz team this season. There are, however, going to be some players who simply do not have the ability to contribute significantly. The Griz have a serious need for post player help. Based on his experience with our post situation this year, I think Tinks is going to make recruiting post help the number one priority.

GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:

It is not necessarily an issue of "who wants to be here and who does not." I don't think dedication was an issue for what I believe was an overachieving Griz team this season. There are, however, going to be some players who simply do not have the ability to contribute significantly. The Griz have a serious need for post player help. Based on his experience with our post situation this year, I think Tinks is going to make recruiting post help the number one priority.

How can he not? I am 100% sure he has been since last summer.

mtgrizrule said:

The Griz lose Cherry and Ward. In the Fall they already signed Gfeller (shooting guard) and Dunn (point guard). Then Riley Bradshaw (shooting guard?) transferred from Utah State and he will join the team next year. The Griz have already overpromised 2013-2014 season scholarships by 1 before even considering a center transfer. Doubt they will get a center transfer unless somebody leaves unexpectedly.

The Griz lose Cherry and Ward, and they lost the JC center before the season started. So by my math there is room for at least one more.

MrG said:
The Griz lose Cherry and Ward, and they lost the JC center before the season started. So by my math there is room for at least one more.
I think they gave the JC center's scholly to Emerson before the season.

scottsdalegriz said:
MrG said:
I think they gave the JC center's scholly to Emerson before the season.
The Griz were only at twelve scholarship players last season. It sounds like three are available plus any that might be freed up by a player going off of scholarship or leaving.

zengriz said:
...to be able to compete...
...the griz must be able...
...to play above the rim...

... :cool: ...

Exactly. Who was the last Griz (before BQ) who not only could, but did routinely jump straight up and dunk from under the basket? Kevin Kearney? And he was only 6-6 or so. We need a big that is also an athlete.

I think there is a good chance of over-reacting to the lack of bigs on this years team. Let's not forget that alot of the depth for next years squad is all ready on the team. Martin and Wiley will be sophmores next year and if we were to drop several of our backcourt players to add 2 or 3 JC guys that would mean that we are basically giving up on Martin and Wiley because the JUCO guys would be juniors and thus we would be telling Jake and Andy that they will not play until their senior year. What is the point of that? Basically everyone agrees that those guy have big time potential so lets not forsake them.

Also consider that Weisner played exclusively at the 4 this season. He is not much of a rebounder and is a weak post defender but he is a far worse perimeter defender so it is unlikely he will ever play much at the 3. He is not the ideal 4 guy in those aspects but the counter to that is his 3pt shooting. If he is the PF that means that the other teams PF has to guard him out beyond the arc which makes Weisner a tough match up and with just his presence on the court can free up many different things. He is a very valuable role player in that aspect.

Coleman is much like Ward when playing the 4. He did a solid job after Mathias went down. It is not really his natural spot but with a off-season to work on his size, strength and post defense he will be a guy that we can count on down on the block. He won't be as strong as Ward but his is already a better rebounder.

I am pretty certain that Bradshaw will have to walk-on next year so that means we have one scholly to give out. I think if we find a athletic PF that is a good rebounder we will be sitting very good. Hutch doesn't get much love on here but he actually played solid ball the second half of the year. So we will have Hutch and the soon-to-be-named JUCO guy as starters. Then Martin, Wiley, Weisner and Coleman that will all play down there.

Lastly let's not forget that outside of the blow-out to Syracuse we had a very successful season. I think most would agree that one had little to do with our size and more to do with the poop in our pants. If I were Tinks I would have a hard time trading our backcourt depth for a bunch of bigs that will miss a bunch of free throws and slow us down.

Buttegrizzle said:
zengriz said:

Exactly. Who was the last Griz (before BQ) who not only could, but did routinely jump straight up and dunk from under the basket? Kevin Kearney? And he was only 6-6 or so. We need a big that is also an athlete.
Delvon used to throw it down from under the basket! Only a year after Kearney. Remember fat daddy? Deeeeeeeelllllllllvooooooooonnnnnnn AAANDerson!

I can assure you all Andy and Eric need a quality post to add to our depth there. Even if Andy and Eric were all conference like players now. It is not wise, nor good to have no less than 3 true post players in Div 1 ball. Neither Eric or Andy will be upset, or take it wrong if we bring in more post help. They would welcome the extra help, and competition. I also know 1 of these 2 was very disappointed and upset at the loss to Syracuse, which I hope every returning player would feel the same. We will see who does what in the offseason. Do not be surprised to see many players dramatically improved come next season. Feel free to look at Weber State's roster and depth at PF/C, and their best post man does not even start. Bolomboy is going to be stud. Tell me we don't need more size and better depth inside to match up with Weber State. That team will be a nightmare next season.

Yes, we did use Marko's scholarship this season for Emerson, being it was too late to fill that scholarship with another player. Scholarships are an year to year offer. I am sure if one needs pulled to get a big, it will be understood. If, that player chooses to leave because of it, that would be understood too, and sure Wayne would bust his ass to find him a good scholarship and fit elsewhere.

Weisner was better at defense and rebounding the 2nd of this season!! Go watch the replays, seems like he was drawing a lot of fouls with positioning, hustle, and good footwork the 2nd half of the season. Weisner's playing time was inconsistent the 1st half of the season. When he improved his defense and rebounding, his playing time was increase quite significantly. I think the knock on him is a little harsh, considering how well he played the 2nd half of the year. I am not one bit worried about Weisner.

Our year next season depends on a quality 3 or 4 man rotation at PF/C. I am sure the GRIZ will do everything possible to make sure that happens. Personally, I am not concerned about big scorer. We need a rebounding and shot blocking big. I pray we land one going into next season.

stubbins said:
Buttegrizzle said:
zengriz said:

Delvon used to throw it down from under the basket! Only a year after Kearney. Remember fat daddy? Deeeeeeeelllllllllvooooooooonnnnnnn AAANDerson!
Samuelson could as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure any additional size in the frontcourt would have helped much against the Cuse when we had such an awful showing from the backcourt.

Not saying size doesn't matter, it just wouldn't have mattered in that game. We were soundly beat at every single position.

grizfnz said:
stubbins said:
Buttegrizzle said:
zengriz said:

Samuelson could as well.

Brent Smith! He doesn't get a lot of credit, because of injury time...but if there was an elephant between him and the rim, he was dunking on it...HARD. Griz have had some players that liked to throw down aggressively, just hasn't been ANY since...? Hasquet and Dlouhy (sp)?

Buttegrizzle said:
zengriz said:

Matt delughy(sp)..but he was also a wing...delughy with the delunky haha...he could freeking elevate! FGCU style

stubbins said:
grizfnz said:
stubbins said:
Buttegrizzle said:
Samuelson could as well.

Brent Smith! He doesn't get a lot of credit, because of injury time...but if there was an elephant between him and the rim, he was dunking on it...HARD. Griz have had some players that liked to throw down aggressively, just hasn't been ANY since...? Hasquet and Dlouhy (sp)?
Dan trammel had some aggressive dunks..he would cram that shit with authority

Back