• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz on path for a seed

GrizBacker04

Well-known member
Assuming the Grizzlies win their next two, certainly not out of the realm that they could get the No. 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs. Figure the Griz should move up two spots in the rankings following today's win, along with losses by Coastal Carolina and Youngstown State. UM will only climb the next two weeks with wins.

The NCAA certainly wouldn't mind having at least two home games at Washington-Grizzly, and folks couldn't really argue that the Griz shouldn't be seeded with a 10-2. I thought it was a bit odd that Speltz this week essentially said that the Griz had no shot at getting a seed for the playoffs. Would have to say that they control their own destiny in terms of getting a seed. Granted, not a top-four seed, but better to be seeded than not at all.
 
MrTitleist said:
They only seed the top 4 or 5 teams.

Seems like in the TSN playoff projections they seed the Top 8 as teams who get a first round bye and a guaranteed first home game.
 
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.
 
GRIZFAN20 said:
MrTitleist said:
They only seed the top 4 or 5 teams.

Seems like in the TSN playoff projections they seed the Top 8 as teams who get a first round bye and a guaranteed first home game.

I believe Titleist is correct they seed 5 teams.
 
With expanding the playoffs to 24 this year, they will seed the top 8. With those 8 getting the first round byes.
 
Be interesting who committee would pick between UM and NAU, if both win out. Just because UM may not finish second in the league, I don't think would automatically eliminate them from a seed.
 
mtgrizzly said:
With expanding the playoffs to 24 this year, they will seed the top 8. With those 8 getting the first round byes.


ok thanks, didn't know that.
 
GrizBacker04 said:
Be interesting who committee would pick between UM and NAU, if both win out. Just because UM may not finish second in the league, I don't think would automatically eliminate them from a seed.

Probably NAU since they won the head to head and have played the tougher schedule.
 
Griziron said:
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.


I think a win over msu would go a long way toward securing a seed, even if the Griz finish behind NAU in the standings. That said, a loss by NAU down the stretch would certainly help. :thumb:
 
Griziron said:
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.

26,000 vs 10,000, you do the math.
 
Htowngriz said:
Griziron said:
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.

26,000 vs 10,000, you do the math.

UM doesn't draw that well during the playoffs, but maybe 20K for a second round game. With no quality wins yet, I think it would be hard for the selection committee to seed UM over a team they lost to.
 
BozAngelesGriz said:
just because the Cats lost today doesn't mean we have already beaten them...

Are you serious? Shit. I was hoping otherwise. Thanks for the info anyway.
 
Griziron said:
Htowngriz said:
Griziron said:
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.

26,000 vs 10,000, you do the math.

UM doesn't draw that well during the playoffs, but maybe 20K for a second round game. With no quality wins yet, I think it would be hard for the selection committee to seed UM over a team they lost to.
No way they dip below 20,000 for any playoff game.
 
Htowngriz said:
Griziron said:
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.

26,000 vs 10,000, you do the math.

If it's anything like the way it used to be getting a seed means the NCAA gets just as set amount of home revenue, regardless the stadium size, I think it was fairly low too. Otherwise there's the bidding process which can easily chew up quite a bit of home revenue.

If the NCAA were to look at it as a business decision alone (which I don't think they do) they'd probably want NAU to have a seed and UM to be bidding
 
Griziron - you said the only way UM can get a seed is if they finish second in the conference. That is not correct. That is not a rule and the the Griz are a PERFECT example of that as they have been seeded higher than several Big Sky teams who have finished tied with or who have better conference records than them in past. Second - COMPARED TO the rest of the FCS, UM is the ONLY place that has traditionally drawn well over the years. To say UM doesn't draw that well in the playoffs is absurd. 26,000 for a first-round game? No. But when it comes to attendance in the playoffs, it's MONTANA, Appy a distant second, and the rest of the FCS with terrible numbers. Remember the 09' Villanova/William & Mary Game? That was a national semifinal with about 1,100 fans.
 
Assuming UM and MSU win next week I'd assume the Brawl might be to decide who gets a seed and a bye vs who had to turn around and play again the next week.
 
Hammer said:
Griziron said:
Htowngriz said:
Griziron said:
They seed the top 8 this year with the playoffs expanding to 24. UM would need to win out and have NAU lose 2 to finish second in the conference, which would be the only way to get a seed. I think it's very unlikely UM gets a seed if they finish 3rd or 4th in the BSC.

26,000 vs 10,000, you do the math.

UM doesn't draw that well during the playoffs, but maybe 20K for a second round game. With no quality wins yet, I think it would be hard for the selection committee to seed UM over a team they lost to.
No way they dip below 20,000 for any playoff game.

We have in the past. Yet in part, the schedule dictates turnout. Games played on Thanksgiving weekend tended to have lower turnout (with kids out of school & everyone else with other family plans). Though if the Griz score a 1-8 seed & second round home game that would allow people time to plan on a road trip to Missoula and would help turnout. :ugeek:
 
Back
Top