• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Fans _ what is your objective take on ochs??

Sweetwyne

I am wondering what everyone thinks of Ochs and his performence this season. I beleive that everyone thought that he would come in to IAA and absolutley tear the league up. I think that he has been a large dissapointment. HIs play hasnt been terrible but not what was hoped of him.

WHY CANT WE PASS THE BALL??????? someone answer this

He has definately been in a serious funk the past two weeks. Hopefully he'll snap out of it sooner than later. On the whole, I think he hangs on to the ball way too long when nobody is open. Throw the darn thing away already! As to why we can't pass, I wish I knew. Seems our recievers are not getting open very well. One thing I like about Ochs is his ability to see the field. He seems to progress through his reads much better than Disney did earlier in the season. He just needs to find that open guy.

His play hasnt been terrible but not what was hoped of him.

His pick sucked-bad decision, other than that, the guy sets up in the pocket, looks off recievers, shucks D-lineman and makes good plays when there is an opportunity. What do you want? What happened last year in the loss? Edwards couldn't do anything. Maybe it's not the QB? The WR's couldn't get off the one on one coverage. Guess what, it happened again. He has nowhere to throw it if nobody is open. The WR's need to make space.

Not doing as well as I'd expect either, but like it was said earlier, the receivers aren't getting open.

It's real easy to say all this sitting on our asses in front of the computer. We are not down in the trenches busting our asses... real easy to call it from up here... :roll:

9-3... season aint over yet.

He has had some games where he was the QB that we were hoping for.

But EWU game he was really bad. Over threw the passes. And he wasn't seeing the field that well in that game. He even admitted it.

Today's game, though, it was mostly because the receivers were not open. He did make some bad decisions in this game. Hard to blame Ochs most of the game, except some poor decisions he made.

you are tripping if you think that edwards was not THE reason that the griz lost last year.

While I think that ochs is a different quarterback i thought that he would be one of the elite passers in IAA. He has hardly distinguished himself fromt the rest of the mediocre Big Sky quarterbacks.

That being said, you have to have someone to throw to if you are going to complete a pass.

I also think that the griz staff has not had any confidence in the pass this whole year. i dont know if it was because of disneys very quick start and just trying to get by this year or what.

But I doubt anyone would agrgue with me here that the coaches are not very committed to establishing a true passing game. I am not saying this year we need to have the old passing game come back. But it showed today that nobody respects the pass and our running gameisnt unstoppable.

It felt like I was watching some of the playoff games where teh griz were against a good running team, and committed to stopping the run, and the other teams passing attack was utterly feable.

Some numbers.....before todays game.

PASSING Att. Cmp Yds Cmp% Yds/Att TD TD% Int Int% Rating
C.Ochs 172 99 1365 57.6 7.94 8 4.7 6 3.5 132.6
J.Disney 84 45 417 53.6 4.96 4 4.8 4 4.8 101.5
J.Hartman 15 9 109 60.0 7.27 0 0.0 0 0.0 ---

Ochs was 14-23-2, 151 yards and 1 touchdown today. So that would have Ochs at 1516 yds, 113 att.-195 comp., 9 TD's, 8 Int's, 57.9 comp%.
Of course I have no idea how the hell the passer ratings are calculated.

Anyway, just threw these up here so ya can all be a little more 'objective'.
He isnt everything I expected either, but by no means is he disappointing.

GoodGodGriz said:
Not doing as well as I'd expect either, but like it was said earlier, the receivers aren't getting open.

It's real easy to say all this sitting on our asses in front of the computer. We are not down in the trenches busting our asses... real easy to call it from up here... :roll:

9-3... season aint over yet.

I agree with GGG. You have to remember that Ochs was out of the Football thing for well over a year. I'd say he's done pretty well. All things considered... if Ochs isn't at the helm games seem to be much closer. One other thing to consider; maybe it's more on our recievers talent than Ochs's talent.

We're going to like what Ochs and the recievers do for the rest of this season and next year. We have been playing teams that have studied all season for ways to beat the Grizzlies. I would be surprised if the Grizzlies didn't start having more opportunities to stretch the field, hopefully run a few screen passes and use Willy Waldon. Hold onto your horses everyone because we're going to nail some folks, starting next week!

GOOOO GRIZZZ!!!!

We also go to remember that it seems our offense is a way more run oriented deal. Translation being that passing plays in game situations are fewer and farther between. I would like to see us use some short passing plays, you know like out routes, slants etc. I think he does better when he has less time to think.

When I heard a potential starting IA QB was coming to MT (especially a big name school like that), I thought the Grizzlies might have another insanely offense oriented team like the Dick era.

I was very fearful of him, and Disney for that matter.

Even as a Bobcat fan, I am dissapointed with him. I thought he could be one of the greats in IAA football.

But overall, I'd still take Lulay. :D

RobGriz said:
We also go to remember that it seems our offense is a way more run oriented deal. Translation being that passing plays in game situations are fewer and farther between. I would like to see us use some short passing plays, you know like out routes, slants etc. I think he does better when he has less time to think.

good points.

If we ran more routes like you suggest the wrs would be harder to cover and even less time would be needed for protection.
I contend the scheme needs to change if we're going to be effective week in and week out passing the ball.

I think the blame might be better focused on the coaches. They get payed to be in that position.......

Ochs is a very talented QB......anybody who thinks different is more of a drunk the a college football fan. There are a few things that Ochs has done poorly this year......but I tend to think that is a result of coaching more than QBing.

The EWU game and the Bobcat game.......and even the Sac game (though the rain was terrible). What were the first 10-15 plays called in each of these games? Maybe 1 or 2 passes.....and 13-14 runs? Is that balance? What QB in the whole freakin nation is going to awe anybody when he only gets two passes in the first 4 Offensive possesions? What QB in the nation will find a rhythm passing 3-5 times in the whole first half??????????? But then we EXPECT the QB to pass us three TDs in the fourth quarter because we are behind? Come on.

I said it before...and it is worth saying again.....our awesome RBs are almost a curse. Our coaches are very consevative. They...mostly Hauck....feel that we need to run the damn ball 65 times a game to be successful. It is ridiculous.....and our RBs being good allow them to get away with that against teams that are not real good. All the teams from here on will be good...or better than good.

I still think that Ochs is the best QB in IAA. And I think that if he were allowed to throw the ball 35 times a game (at least 20 passes in the first half).....not only would he have big numbers, but so would our RBs.....and Our Offense would not be near the bottom of the nation in total yards.....but near the top.

I am not calling for Haucks job......but let us look at ....... Why is LV STILL on the sidelines most of the game????? If he was our best WR last year with Edwards throwing to him.....he could be a freakin all-america with Ochs throwin to him. And Don't give me the.."he doesn't know the offense" line. Too late in the season for that to be true.

Again...I wish they would do the exact opposite of what they are game planning now. I wish they would come out and throw 12 of the first 15 plays. By doing that you stretch the field...opening the run for the rest of the game, you get your QB into the game right off the get go, Your QB feels a rhythm, which is the most important thing for a QB. You give yourself a chance for big plays that can break the game open, and you get everybody on O invovled......and you get more of our talent on the field. Three WR a TE and the RB...all running, catching and blockin. Plus we need to find a way to get JH, Segars, Talmage, and Hancock on the field at the same time. Too many game breakers takin a break on the bench.

OR....if they are stuck and stubborn on running the ball, and lining up in running formations the whole damn first half......we need more PLAY ACTION FAKES!!!!!! That is what makes a good running team dangerous! Heck, even Diz would do well if we did that. And we have a great TE to pull off play action. Though, I think the pass first O would be more effective.

Again.....take it with a grain of slat. I am not a College football coach. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... :roll: ) But I read the Krammer comment...."They were ONE dimensional".....and I agree. And that kills me, because we do have a ton of talent for passing. We just don't use it for what ever reason.

If you think back to our all time best O.....1999. What did we do? We had a great RB. We had a very good QB. We passed the ball first. And if the competition was better, we past the ball even more. And in doing so, we had one of the best offenses in the nation.

Again....I am a Hauck supporter, but.......even if by miracle we were to get to the NC----which really won't happen if we have to go on the road for three games-----this has been a POOR year by Griz standards. A season that will end most likely with 4 loses....one to a D2 school, two conference loses, and a loss to the freakin pussies. And we have talent this year. It kills me.

Ochs is the best QB we have! End of Story. He goes down and the season is over. I have faith we are still going to see some good stuff out of Craig. Support the guy and the coach. I dont believe you trash a coach or players during the season. Keep everything positive and then deal with what you can during the off season.

I have heard very little comment about the field conditions and temperature, but these conditions were such that it is difficult for receivers to make sharp cuts ,run their routes, and get open. Look at the passing yardages: Griz 151 and Bobcats 64-- the Cats were even less able than we were. It simply was not a day that the pass was going to be very successful, for either team.

Kramer was right in saying that the field conditions basically made us a one-dimensional team. (at least that is how I interpreted his reference to us as being "one-dimensional")Even so, we rushed for 218 yards versus the Cats 131. However they were able to put 7 to 9 "in the box"and in the second half started shutting our running game down knowing they could hold the receivers with man coverage.

The game that was played on the line of scrimmage by the offensive teams was won by the Griz . Unfortunately, there were two huge "deal buster " plays-- the Qualls interception and run back and the Corey Smith kickoff return.

I'm not trying to be whiny here-- the Bobcats put up more points than we did and they won the game. Props to them.

Three weeks ago, Ochs was the greatest thing since roadhead was invented. And he is still good. However, I think he is a little frustrated by the lack of open receivers and the last two weeks has tried way too hard to make the big play, which has hurt him. I think we should be talking about what we think of our receivers instead. They are average in my mind. A perfect example of Ochs trying to make the big play was when he didn't throw the ball away on that last drive and took a six yard loss. Throw it away and save your team six yards. 4th and 10 would have been much better than 4th and 16. He is fine, but he has pressed the last couple weeks.

As for Lulay, I think he is a solid QB.......but if I see one more comparison to DD, I'm going to puke. He misfires on open targets and has a 50-50 TD-Int ration. Yesterday he had 64 yards passing. I wouldn't mind having him either, don't get me wrong........but Cat fans are jacking off way too much about him. Maybe they should be praising the Cat O-line for getting molock 105 yards against our defense. That would make some sense. I think they just see him as the QB when they beat Montana and have taken off and run with it. He's good but not great, he's also got some pretty good players playing with him. He knows he only has to lead the offense on about 2 scoring drives a game, so he can afford to sit back and throw the 3 and 4 yard outs all day. That's part of their system.

Cold and field conditions had nothing to do with it. It is not like we all woke up on Saturday morning, looked out the window, and said "when did this happen?" Both teams played in it. There is no excuse for field condition or temp.

A coach should drill the QB over and over not to hold onto the ball too long.

A coach should drill the QB over and over to throw the ball away rather than running out of bounds 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage.

Those 2 things alone absolutely killed us yesterday. We took huge losses that were avoidable, at the worst times.

grizpack said:
A coach should drill the QB over and over not to hold onto the ball too long.

A coach should drill the QB over and over to throw the ball away rather than running out of bounds 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage.

ANd this is the exact point of my long post. I think they work real hard on the running game because they feel it is the first and best option.....and I wish they would spend more time on the passing game...and use it as their first option.

Then the coach could spend more time in film and at practice working with the QB on when to dump it...when to tuck and run....ect. The coach could also work more with the WR on running routes and gettin off the bump.

Right now I bet the WRs are taught more about blockin then anything else.....and, IMO, that is also the reason that LV is on the bench.....they want a bigger "blockin" Wr....... I hate it. We have become one dimensional. And it ain't even the dimension that we all were hopin for....

We aren't one dimensional Geaux, we have passed on some teams and ran on others. We just played the best secondary in the Big Sky, running was far and away the best option and we did it well. We wouldn't be talking about this right now if we would have kept on the ground and not thrown the interception that turned the tide. Sure, there are some adjustments we need to make, but don't throw away the playbook and start over. Sh-t, last year we were no dimensional, we couldn't run or pass!

loyalgriz said:
We aren't one dimensional Geaux, we have passed on some teams and ran on others. We just played the best secondary in the Big Sky, running was far and away the best option and we did it well. We wouldn't be talking about this right now if we would have kept on the ground and not thrown the interception that turned the tide. Sure, there are some adjustments we need to make, but don't throw away the playbook and start over. Sh-t, last year we were no dimensional, we couldn't run or pass!

Yeah...I'm with you. I don't want to throw out the playbook.....just the game planning.

When a team puts eight Guys in the box....on the line, you have to be able to throw the ball. We ran it real well in the first half, but you knew had to come to an end sooner or later...right? There is no way you can just keep running the ball at 8 in the Box without them stopping you at some point......right? And I would argue that the Third Quarter killed us more than any Ochs INT.

What was our best offensive out put of the year? It was ISU hands down. Why did we have such a big O day...... the game plan was to throw....it opened eventhing up. Ochs was in a rhythm, and there was no way the D could adjust to take away the run in the second half....they were back on their heals. That was a very good game plan....and Ochs wasn't suppose to be 100% in that one. But since then we have turned into a mediocre Southland Conf. offense. Why????

Latest posts

Back