• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Drop despite win.

NativeGriz

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/tsn-div-1aa-poll.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. North Dakota State Bison (157) 5-0 3,925 1
2. Sam Houston State Bearkats 4-1 3,665 2
3. Towson Tigers 6-0 3,657 3
4. Northern Iowa Panthers 4-1 3,283 4
5. Eastern Illinois Panthers 4-1 3,272 5
6. Eastern Washington Eagles 3-2 3,124 6
7. Montana State Bobcats 4-2 2,902 8
8. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 5-0 2,653 9
9. McNeese State Cowboys 5-1 2,475 11
10. Fordham Rams 6-0 2,451 12
11. Montana Grizzlies 4-1 2,433 10
12. Wofford Terriers 3-2 1,738 17
13. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 3-3 1,660 7
14. Maine Black Bears 5-1 1,533 23
15. Villanova Wildcats 3-2 1,490 20
16. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 4-1 1,391 21
17. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 4-1 1,255 13
18. Youngstown State Penguins 5-1 1,178 NR
19. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 3-2 1,111 15
20. Central Arkansas Bears 2-3 870 14
21. James Madison Dukes 4-2 646 NR
22. Georgia Southern Eagles 3-2 636 16
23. Samford Bulldogs 4-2 592 NR
24. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 5-1 508 NR
25. New Hampshire Wildcats 1-3 424 19

If you spend two seconds thinking/worrying about polls at this point in the season, you've wasted 1.5 seconds.

gob2.jpg

The two teams that past is both best ranked opponents and McNeese did theirs on the road and they won as big as we did. I'll let our record at the end of the year decide where we'll be.

Can't complain. All the teams above us are doing what they need to do as we did what we needed to do on Saturday. We'll be where we need to be at year's end.

AllWeatherFan said:
If you spend two seconds thinking/worrying about polls at this point in the season, you've wasted 1.5 seconds.

gob2.jpg
I agree, but it does give some consideration as to where we might end as far as seeding go. That's the only consideration I give to a poll early in the year. .
In three weeks when we are hopefully 7-1, it will be more interesting to start speculating where we might be seeded in playoffs and then the polls do become an issue. Side note - If we are 7-1, that would give EWU 3 losses and put them in a difficult spot.

Let's see. Portland State loses to Cal Poly at home last week then YALE hands Cal Poly a convincing defeat in their (Cal Poly) house. Montana whopping PSU no big deal as maybe the invicible Big Sky being exposed hence the drop?

PSU is Montana's best win...is that really a big deal? Everyone (PR) can throw around stats to convince everyone how good the Griz are, and they may end up being really good, but as of right now the stats are fools gold. The Griz have really not beat any "good teams" and the best team they played, NAU, beat them fairly easily. Until the Griz beat a team like EWU or MSU, I see them as a 7ish type win team, slightly above average, but not considered good and definitely not great or elite. I also am in wait and see mode on how they fair away from WGS. People may want to overlook Davis and Sac, but are the Griz a good enough team to beat other average type teams on the road (UND is not an average type team).

grizophile said:
Let's see. Portland State loses to Cal Poly at home last week then YALE hands Cal Poly a convincing defeat in their (Cal Poly) house. Montana whopping PSU no big deal as maybe the invicible Big Sky being exposed hence the drop?
I was thinking same thing and MSU pounds NAU. MSU was forgiven for losing to a so-so SFA team because of the QB situation-We don't have a good excuse for the NAU debacle. We definitely need to beat MSU and/or EWU to gain some seeding love.

NativeGriz said:
grizophile said:
I was thinking same thing and MSU pounds NAU. MSU was forgiven for losing to a so-so SFA team because of the QB situation-We don't have a good excuse for the NAU debacle. We definitely need to beat MSU and/or EWU to gain some seeding love.

Agreed, by months end we should have bearing on who we really are in polls and playoff consideration.....I think we win October

grizophile said:
You're giving the voter's way too much credit.

griz4life said:
grizophile said:
You're giving the voter's way too much credit.
+1 :thumb:

Grizindabox..SO YOU'RE THE ONE!! you're the one guy who DIDN'T post how good ASU, UND and PSU were BEFORE the games! Cause everybody I see dogging the Griz' schedule and acting like the Griz now somehow shouldn't be given credit for those three wins, sure as hell was posting about how good EACH of those teams were BEFORE the games. YOU must have been the only one that knew better. I bet you even thought UM should have bought out the Appy game to improve its strength of schedule too.

Hangover; it takes these dudes two weeks to figure out we had our as$es handed to us at Flagstaff. But the points that our wins have little value is also real.

So Kem, by that rationale if the Griz end up 10-2 or even 9-3 do you think that they should not go to the playoffs because of three bad 30-point wins? And on the flip side, if the Griz had lost to Appy, UND and PSU, plus NAU but beat EWU and MSU and ended up say 7-5, should they be a high seed because the latter two wins had VALUE?

Let's see, McNeese State jumped past the Griz going from #11 to 9 in the rankings while Fordham went from #12 to 10 after being 6-0. McNeese is 5-1 but their victory last week was misleading as it was against the then #14 team in Central Arkansas, who are now ranked #20 and by all indications are on the way out of the top 25 soon after they beat up on another team nobody's ever heard of. With Central Arkansas resume they do not belong ranked at this point.

On the other hand, Fordham beat up on a solid ranked team beating then #13 (now #17) Lehigh (4-1) 52-38. All this means is that the pollsters have no clue what they are doing to begin with. Case in point, North Dakota received 20 votes while Portland State even ended with a vote. IMO it is fine McNeese and Fordham moved past the Griz, however the former defeated a team that is ranked on paper but does not play like it on the field so at the least Fordham should be higher than McNeese.

"Falling: Central Arkansas is going to have to get on a serious roll in its Southland Conference schedule, having been flattened by McNeese State, 59-28. The Bears only have wins over Incarnate Word and Missouri State, with Nebraska- Kearney up next. That's not the way for them to build another playoff resume should they not secure their conference's automatic bid again." http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4629802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its not surprising nor the end of the world.

PSU really looked as good as UM if they didn't have a bunch of stupid penalties.

Very glad for the W but the Griz really need to whip up on the rest of our schedule, at least the next couple before I see them drastically moving up. The rest of FCS looks at the NAU game and seriously questions this team. Look forward to seeing us finish in the top 4-5 at the end of the year though, still think these kids can do it.

havgrizfan said:
Grizindabox..SO YOU'RE THE ONE!! you're the one guy who DIDN'T post how good ASU, UND and PSU were BEFORE the games! Cause everybody I see dogging the Griz' schedule and acting like the Griz now somehow shouldn't be given credit for those three wins, sure as hell was posting about how good EACH of those teams were BEFORE the games. YOU must have been the only one that knew better. I bet you even thought UM should have bought out the Appy game to improve its strength of schedule too.

havgrizfan...maybe you should get off your sarcastic horse and do a little search, I am quite certain you will not find a post by myself to back up your rant. I also never said the Griz did not win, only that they have not played the most challenging schedule to this point. Also, did you pull the Appy buyout statement from your ass?

box,

If you get out of character for one second, you’ll see that he actually has a point. Perhaps not you specifically, but this an annoying habit of Griz fans. Every week is a huge challenge for the Griz, and in hindsight the team we just played was garbage. Griz fans have been playing this fiddle for as long as I can remember.

The most puzzling thing to me is the love that Charleston Southern is getting in some polls. People are looking straight up at their wins/losses.. their quality of wins is awful. If you take out the two D2s their opponents are 6-15.

Latest posts

Back