• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Defense

Rob

I have heard that the new defensive coordinator likes to run that 3-3 flex crap that NAU ran (or got run over with) this year. Why in the hell would you take one of the best defenses in 1-AA and screw it up with that junk. Any one else heard anything?

What I have heard is that it's a "flex" defense which i believe is the same defense that Arizona ran a few years back when they had the "desert swarm". From what I understand, It can be VERY effective as it uses alot of blitzes and stunts by the linebackers. I think the drawback is that it is very complicated and takes quite a while to learn to run it effectively. Don't think I wanna win games 52-48 but I guess we'll just have to give it a chance and see what happens.

We did have a great defensive scheme last year, but coaches are going to bring in what they know best and think will work. It will be a nice change having a less complicated offense and I guess we'll see what happens on D. It may not have seemed like it at times, but the Griz have had one of the most complicated offensive schemes of anyone the last couple of years. Moving that complication to D fence is scarry, but the flex D is hard to prepare for offensively. Also, what I heard is that they will run some flex. Who know what kind of percentage that will be of over all D plays called.

boise-griz said:
What I have heard is that it's a "flex" defense which i believe is the same defense that Arizona ran a few years back when they had the "desert swarm". From what I understand, It can be VERY effective as it uses alot of blitzes and stunts by the linebackers. I think the drawback is that it is very complicated and takes quite a while to learn to run it effectively. Don't think I wanna win games 52-48 but I guess we'll just have to give it a chance and see what happens.

Well, nothing remains the same, and change is necessary to combat opponents who learn how to overcome our defensive package. It will take some time for the kids to learn the new defensive scheme, which might be new and might utilize some existing zone blitz coverage.

Does anyone know how healthy the rest of our defensive players were in December? Any off-season surgeries or rehabs? What is Ciche Pitcher's surgery+rehab schedule? They might need to hold him out of spring ball, as a precaution.

Like Dave DeCoite, for instance? Was Dave healthy? DeCoite was dominant in our 2001 playoff run, and got dinged up at Weber and played less recklessly in 2002. He played well at times, but missed the Southern Utah game with a concussion. I hope to see the Missile return to prime form in 2003.

Is Vernon Smith rehabbing his shoulder? We need him back 100% and a few more good cover corners.

On offense, I am also glad that we have two senior quarterbacks. History has shown that we need depth to survive the long schedule and to play deep into the playoffs. Two experienced QBs will help. Ochs and Disney will both play and will be needed.

I think we will have to give the kids and coaches time in the spring to get the system implemented, and will likely have a slow start in the fall 2003. But its not how you start, but how you finish the year!

Go Griz! We have the best fans, keep up the good E-Griz posts!

Proud Griz Man

A large part (if not most) of Joe Glenn's success can be attributed to the skill of the defensive coordinator Breske. If you don't agree ask yourself how many points Furman scored in the first 59 minutes of the NC game in '01, or what was the average score of all the teams beaten during the 'Streak' People and posters seem to forget that before Breske defense in Grizland was as scarce in Missoula as affordable housing. You can have the most talented individuals in the division, but if you don't have the defensive General analyzing the sets and setting the schemes and getting the defensive players in the right position at the right time -you're gonna get burned. Often. The Achille's heel of the University of Montana Grizzlies next year- that is not which keeps us from being successful, but from winning the N.C., could be the defense. I just hope the new defensive coordinator has his sh!t together. Unfortunately a coach of the calibre of Breske comes along rarely in a lifetime.

LivGriz said:
A large part (if not most) of Joe Glenn's success can be attributed to the skill of the defensive coordinator Breske.

We all agree, Breske was a great DC. I am sorry to lose him. Our playoff run in 2001 is proof that talent with proper coaching can produce. Injuries caused most of our problems in 2002, but luck wasn't with us.

Back