• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz beat UND - Dickenson newspaper

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
0915-und.jpg

GRAND FORKS — ... UND billed Saturday night’s showdown against No. 11 Montana as a Black Out, a plea for North Dakota fans to show up wearing black attire. The game, however, should have been billed a Knock Out. That’s because Montana delivered blow after blow in knocking out UND 55-17 before 9,726 Alerus Center fans. “I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; we have the potential to be a good football team,” said UND coach Chris Mussman. “What we put out there today was not indicative of who we are. Everyone in our locker room is angry, upset, disappointed, whatever it might be. We have to deal with it and move forward.”

The game was a major reversal from Montana’s last visit to Grand Forks as the Griz clearly had the upper hand this time — dominating North Dakota in all phases. Montana walked off the field with last year’s record-setting UND win against the Griz a distant memory. The setback left North Dakota with a 1-2 record and the unenviable task of playing two more Big Sky powers ranked higher than Montana in the next month.

“We’re 1-2; so what?” said UND captain Blair Townsend. “It’s a long season. We’ll play hard through this and keep our heads held high.” UND beat the Griz 40-34 last season thanks to 704 yards of offense — 660 coming through the air. It was an electric come-from-behind win.

A year later, there was no UND electricity — not even a buzz — as UND suffered its worst loss in the Alerus Center and one of its more lopsided home setbacks in program history. “This was an opportunity to show what we could do but we shot ourselves in the foot one too many times,” said Townsend. UND got the start it wanted. Behind quarterback Joe Mollberg, UND scored on its first possession. Mollberg’s 15-yard scoring pass to Townsend capped the drive.

“It was a good start but the rest of the game tells the story,” Townsend said.

After Townsend’s touchdown, it was all Montana. The Grizzlies scored on their first five possessions behind the pinpoint execution of quarterback Jordan Johnson, who completed 15 of 19 passes for 354 yards and five touchdowns. Montana put up 609 yards of offense against UND. The Griz rushed the ball effectively as Jordan Canada gained 104 yards. And it passed the ball at will, as Johnson’s favorite receiver, Ellis Henderson, caught five passes for 124 yards and three touchdowns.

His 52-yard TD pass from Johnson on Montana’s second possession gave the Griz a 13-7 lead and it only got worse from there for UND. The Griz didn’t have to punt until its final possession in the fourth quarter. “We started out well, but then we sputtered out,” said Mussman. “We weren’t very disciplined. That’s the bottom line.” UND trailed 33-10 at halftime. UND had a handful of false start penalties in the first half, a delay of game infraction and a personal foul penalty that aided a Montana scoring drive. Mollberg also threw two inter-ceptions in the first two quarters.
http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/72084/group/Sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TOM MILLER: Griz flip postgame feelings
By: Tom Miller, Grand Forks Herald
Following UND’s record-setting victory over Montana a year ago in the Alerus Center, the two programs were experiencing completely polar feelings.
... This Saturday, though, those sentiments flipped right back when Montana crushed North Dakota 55-17 at the Alerus Center.

... I mean, imagine two more of these in the next four weeks (Montana State and Eastern Washington). Public perception of the program could get ugly. Against Montana, UND gave up 55 points to a Big Sky foe for the third time in two seasons, didn’t force a punt until backups were on the field late in the fourth quarter (Griz were 9-for-10 on third down) and allowed 10.68 yards per play. It all added up to the biggest home loss since the Alerus Center opened in 2001.

I can’t say it’s the worst loss in the history of the Alerus Center, though. It’s not as crushing as UND’s loss to Sioux Falls of the NAIA in 2009 when the Green and White were still a transitional Division I school. But, UND fans will take this one very hard and rightfully so. The team did little to inspire hope. The program needs to give fans a reason to believe — to stick in the stands in the second half of a ballgame. The Montana program, on the other hand, is loving life. The Griz couldn’t have any more momentum. Montana is 2-0 after beating Appalachian State and UND. Griz fans think they’re back atop the FCS mountain.

Why not? Montana came to the Alerus Center to make a point. They could have run the ball, slowly cruising over North Dakota. Instead, they intended to bury UND through the air on the back of quarterback Jordan Johnson, who’s returned to the mix after missing 2012 due to his own trial.
The Griz came to make a statement to their fans and the country that last season was a fluke and what better place to do that than in the Alerus where it all went wrong a year ago. When Montana went up 53-17 on a Joey Counts 51-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter, the Griz went for a two-point conversion. Cam Warren’s rush put the Griz up 55-17. Clearly there’s no football purpose to go for two there. Even if it wasn’t meant to be psychological, the salt-in-the-wound 2-pointer was a fitting finish.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/273316/group/Sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Griz beat the living crap out of the Whioux. Nice work you guys are looking real good. I would love to see a match up with the Griz......I'm thinking it would be a hell of a game!

When Montana went up 53-17 on a Joey Counts 51-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter, the Griz went for a two-point conversion. Cam Warren’s rush put the Griz up 55-17. Clearly there’s no football purpose to go for two there.

Umm, how about since the kicking game was struggling with multiple PAT misses, it was good to get practice of the 2 point conversion set in a gametime situation? :?

I agree about the 2 point conversion. UND was loading up to get to Lider. That will be on film and may give the kicking game and extra second for the kick

I loved the 2 pointer. They were loading the box to block, the kicker was really sucking all day anyways and what better time to practice 2 point conversions?

Seriously stop being such pussies about the 2 point conversion jeez. Bitch about the other 53 points of ass kicking.

DoubleNicks said:
When Montana went up 53-17 on a Joey Counts 51-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter, the Griz went for a two-point conversion. Cam Warren’s rush put the Griz up 55-17. Clearly there’s no football purpose to go for two there.

Umm, how about since the kicking game was struggling with multiple PAT misses, it was good to get practice of the 2 point conversion set in a gametime situation? :?

It didn't change the outcome of the game and gave future opponents something to think about when they rush the kicker. And the hole they made was wide enough for me to waddle through. UND shouldn't complain about going for two. They should concentrate on keeping their lane discipline and tackling.

I could understand UND's dislike of the two-point conversion; they could construe it as "running up the score." But, people, remember that we had two missed PAT's, so it was simply a case of UM making up the points they'd missed out on earlier in the game.

'68griz said:
I could understand UND's dislike of the two-point conversion; they could construe it as "running up the score." But, people, remember that we had two missed PAT's, so it was simply a case of UM making up the points they'd missed out on earlier in the game.

I think it was more of a case to let teams know the GRIZ will counter loading up on 1 side to block kicks. It will get teams to think more about doing it. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
'68griz said:

I think it was more of a case to let teams know the GRIZ will counter loading up on 1 side to block kicks. It will get teams to think more about doing it. :thumb:

That works too.

Who cares what they think?

If they dont like it play better defense, the object of football is to score points, it should be full throttle for 60 mins. The "running up the score" BS is for losers.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

If they dont like it play better defense, the object of football is to score points, it should be full throttle for 60 mins. The "running up the score" BS is for losers.

The running up the score crowds are the ones who think everyone should get a participation ribbon..

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

+1000

pussycatkillerz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

+1000

+1

I'm still modest. Hope no serious injuries.

Proud Griz Man said:
TOM MILLER: Griz flip postgame feelings
By: Tom Miller, Grand Forks Herald
Following UND’s record-setting victory over Montana a year ago in the Alerus Center, the two programs were experiencing completely polar feelings.
... This Saturday, though, those sentiments flipped right back when Montana crushed North Dakota 55-17 at the Alerus Center.

... I mean, imagine two more of these in the next four weeks (Montana State and Eastern Washington). Public perception of the program could get ugly. Against Montana, UND gave up 55 points to a Big Sky foe for the third time in two seasons, didn’t force a punt until backups were on the field late in the fourth quarter (Griz were 9-for-10 on third down) and allowed 10.68 yards per play. It all added up to the biggest home loss since the Alerus Center opened in 2001.

I can’t say it’s the worst loss in the history of the Alerus Center, though. It’s not as crushing as UND’s loss to Sioux Falls of the NAIA in 2009 when the Green and White were still a transitional Division I school. But, UND fans will take this one very hard and rightfully so. The team did little to inspire hope. The program needs to give fans a reason to believe — to stick in the stands in the second half of a ballgame. The Montana program, on the other hand, is loving life. The Griz couldn’t have any more momentum. Montana is 2-0 after beating Appalachian State and UND. Griz fans think they’re back atop the FCS mountain.

Why not? Montana came to the Alerus Center to make a point. They could have run the ball, slowly cruising over North Dakota. Instead, they intended to bury UND through the air on the back of quarterback Jordan Johnson, who’s returned to the mix after missing 2012 due to his own trial.
The Griz came to make a statement to their fans and the country that last season was a fluke and what better place to do that than in the Alerus where it all went wrong a year ago. When Montana went up 53-17 on a Joey Counts 51-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter, the Griz went for a two-point conversion. Cam Warren’s rush put the Griz up 55-17. Clearly there’s no football purpose to go for two there. Even if it wasn’t meant to be psychological, the salt-in-the-wound 2-pointer was a fitting finish.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/273316/group/Sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After watching the kitties play Mesa this week. I would bet the farm on the Sioux beating the Cants!

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

One of my favorite Bobby Hauck quotes came when someone asked him if he was miffed at the opposing coach because the other team was "running up the score." Hauck said, "It's not his job to stop them, it's ours." :thumb:

grizcountry420 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

The running up the score crowds are the ones who think everyone should get a participation ribbon..

like late November cat fans

Bear Axed said:
grizcountry420 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

like late November cat fans
UM can never score too many points against the Cats.

grizcountry420 said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Bobby Cox, retired manager of the Atlanta Braves stated, "if you promise not to try and score, I will promise to not try and score anymore." Folks this is sports, if your not trying to score, don't take the field and head into the locker rooms.

Back