• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Greatest decade for sports?

PeauxRouge

I've been thinking about this a bit lately and want to know what others think the best decade for sports has been and what they think defines that?

I would go with the 80's just based on the miracle on ice, magic/bird and the revitalization of the nba, the 83 ncaa tourney, and some of the best nfl players to ever play making their mark with some iconic teams, and etc.

The 80s. For the reasons you mentioned...all the leagues were stacked back then.

CFB had some craziness....the NBA was the best it ever was, ditto the NFL, NHL had the Oiler dynasty and Gretzsky was on top of the world, and the MLB had some awesome characters in it too.

"80's" were great. I thnk I could make an argument for the "70's" though. NFL was pretty iconic with the AFC merger complete. Monday Night Football becoming an event. CFB was the majors dominating. Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio St. and Michigan. Baseball had the big Red Machine, the A's and the Yankees coming back with Steinbrenner. NBA saw the ABA fall and the exodus of those players who really changed the game into more of what it is today. NHL was a lot more relevant with Flyers, Bruins, Islanders and Canadians all have great runs. Olympics had Mark Spitz's seven gold medals. Emergence of Olympic boxers like Ray Leonard. Heavywieght boxing was at it zenith. Close call.

cool topic. although i think it's swayed by your age and involvement in sports. just like everyone likes to pretend that "their" generation was the strongest and smartest and blah blah blah...i think we view sports the same way.

i was a kid and a teenager in the 90's so i really respect that decade. the best basketball player ever was at the peak of his game and the bulls won 6 championships. the dallas cowboys were nearly as dominant. we met the fab five. and the best team ever assembled, the dream team, rolled through the olympics.

another aspect i think was so cool about the 90's is marketing took a whole new level. schools started getting tv deals. every athlete wanted to endorse nike or reebok, adidas, etc. suddenly simply getting drafted wasn't enough. you wanted to be a businessman too. i think jordan really took this to the next level and now it's par for the course.

we were also introduced to tiger woods who might end up also being the best at his sport when all is said and done. i guess just that combination of the excellent athletes and teams mixed with marketing and endorsements makes me really love my time watching sports in the 90's.

again...cool discussion. :thumb:

The 80's, and not even close. The next best decade will be when collegiate sports are no longer influenced by money and power. I doubt that will ever happen though.

mtgrizrule said:
The 80's, and not even close. The next best decade will be when collegiate sports are no longer influenced by money and power. I doubt that will ever happen though.

80's for sure. Was the NFL or NBA ever better? Not a chance.

80's best decade for music also! Love the big hair bands!!

Hammer said:
mtgrizrule said:

80's for sure. Was the NFL or NBA ever better? Not a chance.

80's best decade for music also! Love the big hair bands!!
Eh. Not for music. The 60s were the best for that. Led Zep, Doors, Jimi, Beatles, Cream, etc.

80s Music was bad except for the Punk scene. 80s Punk ruled.

Back