• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Great West Conference v. Big Sky Conference

WYOBISONMAN

DONOR
With the defeat of Montana State by Cal Poly this past weekend it is looking like the teams from the proposed "Great West Conference" are having some success against the BSC team. I think that if this new conference gets going and after all the "probationary periods" are over, we may have a better chance at getting some D1AA playoff games out this way.....Geez...maybe even a championship game. It would be nice to have a game like that close enough to drive to it.

Off the subject, but I am curious WyoBisonman how the locals are feeling about Glenn now? Are the being patient or is that warm glow gone? I know you are a Bison fan not a Cowboy, but being there I figured you woudl have a feeling for it?

Wyoming lost a close one Saturday against a good Air Force team. I think that the WYO fans are so far patient and realize that Glenn is playing with the players from the past coach (Koenig). They will be happy with a .500 season this year and not finishing as the MWC doormat. By next year they will expect more improvement. If beating in Montana State winds up being thier only win, Glenn will be on the hot seat next year and will have to show improvement or he will be gone. But, so far no one is being at all tough on Glenn.

I am surprised that Glenn did not do more recruiting to fill in some of the holes with JUCO transfers like Bohl did at NDSU. A few key JUCO recruits can do a lot (as I have seen with NDSU).

Wyoming lost a close one Saturday against a good Air Force team. I think that the WYO fans are so far patient and realize that Glenn is playing with the players from the past coach (Koenig).

Careful WYOBISONMAN the Koenig's that frequen this board might like being associated to the Koening that coach the Cowboys. :lol:

It will be nice if this "whatever" conference comes to fruition. We need some more clout out west. The NC game is never this direction, and the eastern teams fans are mainly ignorant about any team out west except for the Griz. I guarantee if the NC game was out west it would be a packed stadium, unlike some of the NC games of past.

I am not too confident we will ever see another NC in the West - historically games held in the West have been poorly attended. But, maybe now that the Seattle Bowl is history??? I would think having the new conference would help as there is more chance of a team that is in the West being in the game, but realistically would many fans from WKU and McNeese go to Seattle or Portland for the game id their teams were in it? Maybe Las Vegas, but I think you would need 40,000+ to interest Las Vegas in hosting the game.

Well, look where the previous NC games in the West were held. No one wants to go to Pocatello. Tacoma didn't have a I-AA team within 500 miles at the time they hosted the game, so you can't expect anyone to care. And all those games involved southern and eastern teams. I think the game in Sacramento had a fair turnout.

Technically Tacoma is 490 miles from Missoula but I agree with your point. Sacramento had less than 9000, Pocatello was actually the best in the west with 11,500. Have you noticed that the championship game always seems to be in a "2nd tier" city - not a prime tourist destination. If they moved the major tourist area they might draw better (although Orlando sucked in attendance). Likely though even if it as MT vs MT State in Seattle they would be lucky to 45,000 fans, which is probably not enough to interest most large tourist cities.

I think the biggest key to having good attendance at a western championship game is to have a western team playing in it. Any D1AA Championship game is going to have to have good attendance from the local area. The fans traveling from the teams playing in the game probably are not enough to really fill a stadium, so it needs to be a game that intrests the locals. If it were two teams from the east the draw would not be great. The best solution is to just make sure that the west is always tough and always playiung for the title.....I am in favor of that!!! :D

WYOBISONMAN said:
Wyoming lost a close one Saturday against a good Air Force team. I think that the WYO fans are so far patient and realize that Glenn is playing with the players from the past coach (Koenig). If beating in Montana State winds up being thier only win, Glenn will be on the hot seat next year and will have to show improvement or he will be gone. But, so far no one is being at all tough on Glenn.

Fans are quite fickle, on one hand they are willing to accept the losses on account of the recruits of the previous staff, but if Wyoming was winning with those same players would all the success be credited to the new staff?

A Great West Conference is a great concept. We need more conferences west of the Mississippi. Fans and boosters need to get the A.D.'s and university officials off their duffs and make it happen. And while they are at it they need to petiton and/or sue the NCAA to drop the 5 year no post-season rule for DII teams moving up to DI. I mean what is up with that??? No one in DI could possibly be harmed if these teams were playoff eligible right away. The only programs harmed are the DII schools moving up who lose out on 5 freaking years of potential post-season revenue. That lost revenue (for no reason anybody can justify) is perfect grounds to take the NCAA Nazis to task.

I am not sure anyone wants to take on the NCAA, however you are right the playoff rules do suck. There is legislation before the NCAA to change the waiting periods perhaps they will change. The good news is that the D II teams that have or are coming up to possible form the Great Western (UC-Davis, UNC, NDSU, and SDSU) are well funded and well supported. They are aware of the playoff rules and are willing to make the jump anyway.

Go SDSU!

The legislation is there not to punish schools for moving up a division, but to discourage them from beginning the process. They can't have every team that feels like their Divsion I material to move up right when they feel like it. They're trying to maintain some stability so the divisions aren't constantly fluctuating. The same principle was behind the NCAA moratorium to have a waiting period of a few years before schools could move up a division.

I understand the reason for the rule, I think I am even in agreement with it. The rule does make sure that a school and its fans are commited. It just is a bummer knowing no matter how good you might be you are not going anywhere. I can only speak for my school, we are ready and looking forward to getting the journey started. The sooner we begin the sooner we get to where we want to be. Last season in D II! :bounce:

Go SDSU! Go Great Western!

http://www.freewebs.com/great_western_conf/index.htm

Bullsh*t. Discourage = punish. Other rules are in place to keep wannabe DII teams from moving up. Like the NCAA can't look at solid DII programs like NDSU or N. Colo. and make a quick read as to whether or not they can compete? My God look at their records against BSC schools this year!!! As far as NDSU or SDSU attendance figures go the majority of BSC teams can only dream on. The existing NCAA rules do NOT make sense and contribute to the fact that there really only one Div I-AA conference west of the Mississppi and north of Mason Dixon Line.

Yes, I am sure the powers that be in the South (with regards to D1AA Football) probably do not like seeing more strong teams in the West. It seems that the South and the East (meaning anything east of the ND-MN stateline) have dominated D1AA politics. I do know that NDSU is trying to get the NCAA to shorten the probation period for our admission to D1AA...I guess if they don't we still make the switch anyway.

LivGriz said:
Bullsh*t. Discourage = punish. Other rules are in place to keep wannabe DII teams from moving up. Like the NCAA can't look at solid DII programs like NDSU or N. Colo. and make a quick read as to whether or not they can compete? My God look at their records against BSC schools this year!!! As far as NDSU or SDSU attendance figures go the majority of BSC teams can only dream on. The existing NCAA rules do NOT make sense and contribute to the fact that there really only one Div I-AA conference west of the Mississppi and north of Mason Dixon Line.

Well ok LivGriz, I am good with that! I was not really sure how I felt, I thought my opinion (that this rule sucked) was jaded by self-interest, but if you an existing member of D I/I AA think it is a bad rule then I am with you!

Go SDSU!

If something doesnt open up in the conference situation the new Great West would have enough members to be eligable for an auto bid into the Football playoffs. If they become an established, sanctioned conference, it seems likely they would be included into the playoff picture immediately.

Hey the Great West would be a nice little conference. Top to bottom not as strong as the BSC but Davis, NDSU, UNC and Cal Poly are all strong enough to at least be competitive with anyone in the Big Sky. SDSU is no pushover and SUU puts together a decent product once in a while. I'm not going to sugarcoat St Mary's though, they are a total peice of crap although they do manage to play tough against Davis.

It's too bad for the Dakota schools not finding a home for all sports. This isn't really the ideal scenario for you guys even though it would be great for UCD and Cal Poly.

Latest posts

Back