• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Great Falls Tribune

nzone

Stinks. I was going to hold judgement but this mornings featured story on Hardin shows its total disconnect with The University of Montana and its fans. Scott Mansch has proven that he is not able or willing to cover Griz Athletics. I realize Jesse Geleynse wrote the story but the sports section is nothing more than free advertisement for msu sports. The Missoulian had Gwen The Tribune has Scott. It might be brought to the editors attention that independent, unbiased thinking is what gives credibility to any source. The Tribune sports section lacks in this respect. My subscription ends in October and won't be renewed. :twisted:

Wow, a little harsh don't you think. I to, was disappointed that an article titled "Playing for an Encore" and a photo of a UND receiver running with the ball was a little strange. It seemed more like an article out of Grand Forks. Especailly since it was listed in the Griz notes section. The article under Cat notes was certainly a good article about the Cat injury problems.

However, both the Griz notes and Cat notes fall under the "Big Sky Conference-Extra. The Griz will have plenty of articles in Saturday's Trib.

I will withhold my judgement for now and certainly won't cancel my subscription over it. The reporter might be better served to remember he is in the heart of Griz nation and rethink how he lays out an article in the future though.

nzone said:
Stinks. I was going to hold judgement but this mornings featured story on Hardin shows its total disconnect with The University of Montana and its fans. Scott Mansch has proven that he is not able or willing to cover Griz Athletics. I realize Jesse Geleynse wrote the story but the sports section is nothing more than free advertisement for msu sports. The Missoulian had Gwen The Tribune has Scott. It might be brought to the editors attention that independent, unbiased thinking is what gives credibility to any source. The Tribune sports section lacks in this respect. My subscription ends in October and won't be renewed. :twisted:

So if I stay with you this Fall I can't read the Trib? Come on, show some love it's only a game! I had to put up with that for George Geise for 20 years and kept my subscription! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The tribune is a shell of its former self and will only deteriorate further from here. The don't make money like they used to. Coverage often comes from the wire. The baseball scores come directly from USA today. The other stuff comes from the AP. They are trying to more with less. They have fewer subscribers and fewer advertisers and are generally run by some out of state corporation that runs it based on those numbers. The internet is killing the newspaper. How many times to you read something on egriz a week before it gets reported in the paper?

Catsrback76 said:
So if I stay with you this Fall I can't read the Trib? Come on, show some love it's only a game! I had to put up with that for George Geise for 20 years and kept my subscription

I will be a good host and pick you up one at the Cenex while walking the dog. That usually happens around 5:30 am so you will have it by 6:30. By the way I was able to get one extra cat/Griz ticket. I'm sure the cat fans will allow you space so you won't be pestered by Griz fans.

Yes, the Internet is killing or hurting all publications. For over 15 years, I've been harvesting articles about Griz football, their opponents, and the FCS (see the eGriz News page http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewforum.php?f=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Papers I used to get stories from and now rarely find them include Independent Record (Helena), Montana Standard (Butte), Daily Interlake (Kalispell), Great Falls Tribune (a limited number), Billings Gazette (sometime a limited number), and Flathead Beacon (Mick). To make money, many papers allow a limited number of free viewings. I get an annual online subscription from the Missoulian.

George Geise said he was not a particular fan of either team, but Geise was assigned to the Griz and Scott Mansch to the Bobcats. They did well writing to their audiences. Geise retired and was replaced by Jesse Geleynse who used to be a Montana Kaimin reporter.

nzone said:
Catsrback76 said:
So if I stay with you this Fall I can't read the Trib? Come on, show some love it's only a game! I had to put up with that for George Geise for 20 years and kept my subscription

I will be a good host and pick you up one at the Cenex while walking the dog. That usually happens around 5:30 am so you will have it by 6:30. By the way I was able to get one extra cat/Griz ticket. I'm sure the cat fans will allow you space so you won't be pestered by Griz fans.

You're a true Christian! :)

Catsrback76 said:
nzone said:
Catsrback76 said:

You're a true Christian! :)

Yeh I know :cool:

You're right about the GF tribune, I had been advertising with them for
25+ years and it went from a professional dressed in a tie and sport coat
to a gum chewing drop out. Times have changed and they are eating some
serious dust. I'm guessing they do a big story on the Griz tomorrow. I
know the local media try to split their coverage 50/50 as much as possible but
sometimes there is more news from one side than the other and that is where
it gets tricky.

Big Sky coverage in many of the state papers is going downhill. If I was a cat fan I would have been pretty pissed that the only coverage of the SMU-cat game in the Helena paper was a short bit from MSU sports info on page 6 of the sports section.

bad influence I gave up on the state newspapers for coverage of MSU football. I finally paid an $80 annual subscription to Bobcat Nation and get access to articles by UM graduate Colter Nuanez. Don't get me wrong other papers have articles but they don't have a reporter local in Bozeman and don't give consistent coverage.

Nothing new here.... I remember just before our playoff game against SDSU the trib printed a huge article with an even bigger picture of the jack rabbit's stud RB and how good he is....la da la da... How good the jack's are......yawn..

Very little on the Griz and their stars or the road they traveled to get to the playoff's.

As a matter of fact even after that Griz comeback from hell..... We still never saw anything special in print from that loser of a paper.

The Tribune's coverage has been terrible for the Griz, especially seems that Cat boy Mansch is in charge there now. They try to mention the Grizzlies as little as possible.

It's just easier for Mansch to cover the cats. His brother inlaw is the MSU sports information director so there's a real hand and glove relationship the Tribune lacks with Montana.
It is what it is. Who buys the trib anyway?

Latest posts

Back