• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good News, Bad News.

IdaGriz01

The bad news: Well, no reason to go into THAT. :cry:

The good news: Tink will be with us for awhile. Many on this board worried that some big program would dangle a juicy contract to lure Wayne away. How likely is that now? His teams won a bunch of games, looked great against fairly pathetic Big Sky opponents, and made it to the big dance. Wonderful. But then the team got crushed beyond "blowout." That's not, as they say, a "promotional bell-ringer." Also, I think Tinkle would see that as unfinished business, and not want to leave until he'd assembled a team that did well after making it to the dance.

Just a thought.

IdaGriz01 said:

The good news: Tink will be with us for awhile. Many on this board worried that some big program would dangle a juicy contract to lure Wayne away. How likely is that now? His teams won a bunch of games, looked great against fairly pathetic Big Sky opponents, and made it to the big dance. Wonderful. But then the team got crushed beyond "blowout." That's not, as they say, a "promotional bell-ringer." Also, I think Tinkle would see that as unfinished business, and not want to leave until he'd assembled a team that did well after making it to the dance.

Just a thought.

It does help keep him. There are some West Coast positions opening up, never know what offer will do the trick for him. I am praying he stays for his current contract at least. I also will be surprised if Tres ends up a GRIZ, even if Wayne is still coaching here. I guess that will be up to Tres.

mtgrizrule said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Just a thought.

It does help keep him. There are some West Coast positions opening up, never know what offer will do the trick for him. I am praying he stays for his current contract at least. I also will be surprised if Tres ends up a GRIZ, even if Wayne is still coaching here. I guess that will be up to Tres.

It takes a heck of a coach to finish out a season with the injuries an missing bigs. Why not have Tres here? What would be cooler than that? Selvigs, Hurley's did multi generational family players. We have ga siblings ala Zanons and several in football. I hope Wayne stays and brings his son into the fold!

Buttegrizzle said:
mtgrizrule said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Just a thought.

It takes a heck of a coach to finish out a season with the injuries an missing bigs. Why not have Tres here? What would be cooler than that? Selvigs, Hurley's did multi generational family players. We have ga siblings ala Zanons and several in football. I hope Wayne stays and brings his son into the fold!

the recent article on the Tinkle family quoted Wayne as saying they expect VERY big programs to be recruiting his son, whom they expect to grow to be Wayne's size....

I saw that. I hope Tres keeps improving and growing to attract big program attention but I think Wayne would love to watch his kid play and would have some pull! That's assuming Wayne isn't at a big program himself by then...

Longing for the days when guys like Larry K. decides to stay in-state instead of going to much larger programs....saw there's a guy on the Cal roster from Montana....I'm sure there's a few others out there at FBS schools.

AZGrizFan said:
Longing for the days when guys like Larry K. decides to stay in-state instead of going to much larger programs....saw there's a guy on the Cal roster from Montana....I'm sure there's a few others out there at FBS schools.

Do you mean, Huestis, that goes to Stanford?

Maynardsgametrail said:
AZGrizFan said:

Do you mean, Huestis, that goes to Stanford?

Yeah, that's the guy. Thanks.

AZGrizFan said:
Buttegrizzle said:
mtgrizrule said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Just a thought.

the recent article on the Tinkle family quoted Wayne as saying they expect VERY big programs to be recruiting his son, whom they expect to grow to be Wayne's size....

Bingo, and consider Wayne has to think from a parental stand point too. As a coach, I am sure he would love to have his son play at Montana. As a parent, he has to be open minded to help Tres decide what is best for Tres. I am sure it tore him and Lisa apart seeing Jos head to Stanford. She graduates this spring, then we will all see how much that decision paid off for their daughter.

I think it is pretty apparent Wayne and Lisa, have open minds, and are not pressuring their kids just to the GRIZ. I just would not get our hopes to high banking on Tres being a GRIZ. I pray I am wrong on this one, and only time will tell .

Meh. I doubt yesterday's game will impact that decision much. A number of BSC coaches have moved onto larger programs without so much as a sniff of the NCAA tournament, including Monty.

EverettGriz said:
Meh. I doubt yesterday's game will impact that decision much. A number of BSC coaches have moved onto larger programs without so much as a sniff of the NCAA tournament, including Monty.

True, but none of them were TRUE GRIZ Blood. Larry is/was, but it took the NCAA tourney to boost his stock too. Jud, Monty, Morrill used this as stepping stone. Taylor, did himself in and had more reason to leave Montana than Wayne does.

Buttegrizzle said:
Huestis was a stud. Saw him in the MT all star game. We sure could have used him here!

We could have used anyone that wanted to play a basketball game last night.

mtgrizrule said:
EverettGriz said:

True, but none of them were TRUE GRIZ Blood. Larry is/was, but it took the NCAA tourney to boost his stock too. Jud, Monty, Morrill used this as stepping stone. Taylor, did himself in and had more reason to leave Montana than Wayne does.

No, no. Obviously I wasn't clear. I'm not suggesting Tinks will leave, just that I don't think a poor performance as a 13 seed is going to prevent large programs from wanting him.

That said, I'd be happy if Wayne stayed at Montana until he retires and they paint his name on the court floor.

EverettGriz said:
mtgrizrule said:
EverettGriz said:

No, no. Obviously I wasn't clear. I'm not suggesting Tinks will leave, just that I don't think a poor performance as a 13 seed is going to prevent large programs from wanting him.

That said, I'd be happy if Wayne stayed at Montana until he retires and they paint his name on the court floor.

:clap: :thumb:

Programs will look at his overall record and success at Montana as a reason to hire him. Not his teams performance in the dance. Montana had the worst showing of any team in the tourney this year and, unless he totally screwed up the gameplan, there are a lot of programs that would hire him in a heartbeat to go 19-1 in conference and just get to the dance. Oh, and pay him double what he makes now.

Buttegrizzle said:
Huestis was a stud. Saw him in the MT all star game. We sure could have used him here!

I watched him when Stanford played @ ASU earlier this season. Huestis wasn't the best scorer on the court but he was the best overall player in my opinion. Huestis would've dominated the Big Sky.

Back