• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Go for the fumble first or make the tackle first?

greasewood

Griz forced 3 fumbles last week which were critical to the win. Anyone else notice the defense very often going for the strip before making sure the tackle was going to made? A lot of extra yards & first downs are given up going for the ball first. Should the D make the tackle first & then go for the strip?

greasewood said:
Griz forced 3 fumbles last week which were critical to the win. Anyone else notice the defense very often going for the strip before making sure the tackle was going to made? A lot of extra yards & first downs are given up going for the ball first. Should the D make the tackle first & then go for the strip?

Wild guess but when the defense is scouting the opposing team they look to see if there are tendencies or habits the ball carriers have that would give an opportunity for a fumble. If they see something they go after it.

Wrap him up and let your friends coming to the party late worry about the strip.

Depends on your position too. If you can get it, take it. If things are popping really quick, just wrap up. IMO

NLGrizFan said:
Depends on your position too. If you can get it, take it. If things are popping really quick, just wrap up. IMO

I still appreciate the novety, at the time, and since, evidently, that the Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts incorporated with his defensive personnel back in the mid 60s: gang tackling. Not just a one on one and all other defensive personnel standing by watching and collecting their paychecks at the end of the game whether they earned it or not. All converge and prevent. Team effort in team tackling. Tackle first. Never underestimate the capabilities of your opponent. If you even 'think' about going for the ball first most times you'll probably miss both the ball and especially the opponent running with the ball when a tackle situation is present. Hence broken tackles. Hence lost games. Some pretty decent games played between a Vince Lombardi and a Don Shula back in the day.

I'd much rather have the defense hold the opponent to a three-and-out than to try to tackle the football in place of the runner. A punt serves just as well. Go for the tackle; no giving away extra yardage trying to tackle the ball instead.

WyomingGrizFan said:
NLGrizFan said:

I still appreciate the novety, at the time, and since, evidently, that the Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts incorporated with his defensive personnel back in the mid 60s: gang tackling. Not just a one on one and all other defensive personnel standing by watching and collecting their paychecks at the end of the game whether they earned it or not. All converge and prevent. Team effort in team tackling. Tackle first. Never underestimate the capabilities of your opponent. If you even 'think' about going for the ball first most times you'll probably miss both the ball and especially the opponent running with the ball when a tackle situation is present. Hence broken tackles. Hence lost games. Some pretty decent games played between a Vince Lombardi and a Don Shula back in the day.

I'd much rather have the defense hold the opponent to a three-and-out than to try to tackle the football in place of the runner. A punt serves just as well. Go for the tackle; no giving away extra yardage trying to tackle the ball instead.
Yes, great post! I was just referring to all instances. A couple plays recently where I honestly believe the defender was going for the ball: CP a couple weeks ago when JJ dove for the end zone, big hit, helmet to the ball, fumble. Same with the NAU game. But yeah, I agree, go for the tackle first. But if you got the shot and don't have much else to work with, take the shot and make sure you hit home otherwise you'll be spittin turf outta your mouth watching a play happening downfield that coulda been stopped. Then again, maybe that's why I never had a chance to play at this level. :oops:

From Gregorak, my thoughts exactly:
“If you look at a lot of the big plays, there’s guys close. We need to make plays. I’ll never blame someone that plays on this defense. I blame myself first and foremost. I need to do a better job. We need to constantly emphasize tackling. They’ve got to go finish tackles and run through ball carriers as opposed to reaching and grabbing. Take that extra step.”

greasewood said:
“If you look at a lot of the big plays, there’s guys close. We need to make plays. I’ll never blame someone that plays on this defense. I blame myself first and foremost. I need to do a better job. We need to constantly emphasize tackling. They’ve got to go finish tackles and run through ball carriers as opposed to reaching and grabbing. Take that extra step.”

Run THROUGH the ballcarrier...much like Coyle did to Saffron... :shock:

WyomingGrizFan said:
NLGrizFan said:

I like it!

AZGrizFan said:
greasewood said:

Run THROUGH the ballcarrier...much like Coyle did to Saffron... :shock:

Much like Colt Anderson did to almost everyone he hit.

jodcon said:
Wrap him up and let your friends coming to the party late worry about the strip.
Maybe college kids don't get it, but I've heard coaches at the pro level say this is how you win the turnover battle: First guy wraps up, second guy punches/rips the rock out (don't necessarily try to take it yourself), third+ ... dive for the loose ball.

Back