• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Give me the answer

Forshizzlegrizzle

DONOR
So I was in a conversation with a buddy of mine and we were talking about night games in Missoula. He said there have been like 10. I thought more like 4-5 at most. How many times has ESPN brought lights?

I can only count 3 games off the top of my head...

- 2006 Semifinal: Umass
- 2009 Semifinal: App State
- 2011 Quarterfinal: Northern Iowa

I told him 4 with the three you just mentioned being in my brain but I was sure I was missing one.

So 4 like I thought then Chris?

Actually, if the question was how many have been played in Wa-Griz, there was a night high school game played there last year also. Sentinel v. Skyview.

Everybody here is probably to young to remember that back before the early 70s all the games was at night but thats only because day light saving time and leap years. As I recall sun set at 2 oclock back then. Players didnt need huge stadium lights either because they didnt wear facemasks that block out all the light like they do now.

Htowngriz said:
Did they not bring in lights for SHSU 2004?

I don't think they did. ;)

griz-vs-sam-houston-state-12-11-2004-22.jpg

Ray W said:
Everybody here is probably to young to remember that back before the early 70s all the games was at night but thats only because day light saving time and leap years. As I recall sun set at 2 oclock back then. Players didnt need huge stadium lights either because they didnt wear facemasks that block out all the light like they do now.
i remember those days. If I recall correctly the freshman were not allowed to play way back then, so for conditioning and team building exercises they used to release a bunch of greased pigs out onto the field first thing in the morning. The frosh would run around and chase and pigs, and when they caught them that's what they would use for game balls and helmets that day. they also had a live grizzly mascot so the frosh had to beat out the bear to gather up enough pigs. If you had an exceptional group of frosh you might even get a few pairs of shoulder pads for the game. Made for some great tailgate treats as well.

Course if you had a bad recruiting year and a slow or weak freshman class they wouldn't catch enough pigs and the upperclassmen would get mighty sore from playing with no helmet or pads, and they would "motivate" the young guys to run faster and get stronger. That's why our guys were strong enough and fast enough to compete in the Pacific Coast Conference back then.

As time went on more hippies and animal rights types came to UM, and they weren't too happy about having a live Griz on the field, or our boys chasing down pigs, and preferred they pick soy beans for tofu dogs. Well it is hard to grow soy beans on a football turf, and while picking soy beans is hard work is just isn't the same as chasing down pigs, and eventually our boys became slower and smaller and we had to drop down to small college ball.

Eventually they started using plastic and letting freshman play, but that my friends is the story of the Montana fight song, mascot history, and level of conference play all wrapped up in one.

Back