• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Game is today in Bozo-land?

GeauxGriz

This came from the excellent paper in Bozo land. And I thought the game was on Saturday....... :roll:

Bobcat football season reaches critical mass

By TIMOTHY HAAS, Chronicle Sports Editor
It's been a tumultuous season for the Montana State football team.

They have endured a coach getting arrested, a myriad of injuries, losses to teams they should have beaten and dramatic come-from-behind-wins.

But none of that matters anymore.

"It was really tough on us and it's still really tough on us. We have still not fully recovered. " fourth-year coach Mike Kramer said of assistant coach Joe O'Brien's arrest on drug charges. "We internalized our feelings. We answered the questions but nobody said 'how do you feel about it.' That's what really bothered us but we did a magnificent job of riding through that stuff."

Today the Bobcats go for their second-straight Big Sky Conference title when they take on arch-rival Montana in the 103rd meeting between the two teams (the 9th oldest football rivalry in Division I-AA) in what is being hailed in the state as the 'Brawl of the Wild.'

Kickoff is scheduled for 12:05 p.m. in a sold out in 13,500 seat Bobcat Stadium and the game will be televised on Omega (channel 38) and on satellite on Fox Sports Digital Nets.

"The situation is a little different entering this year's game," fourth-year Bobcat coach Mike Kramer said. "We don't see the importance in the 'game' or the pageantry surrounding it. We've stressed the importance of being result-oriented and result-conscious in this program, and the result, the outcome, has to be the uppermost in our mind."

This season was eerily similar to last year when after a poor start Montana State rallied in the second half of the season to put themselves in a position to make the Division I-AA playoffs.

But just like last year -- the fourth-ranked Grizzlies stand in the way.

"We're just excited that we have the opportunity to play for the championship," Bobcat quarterback Travis Lulay said. "It's great that it comes down to this game."

Offense

Montana, under first-year coach Bobby Hauk, brings a little different team to Bozman this year. In the past the Griz have been primarily a aerial team but Hauk has Montana running the ball as well.

And the Grizzlies have been running it well.

Last week Montana rushed 65 times for 367 yards and five touchdowns as UM dominated Eastern Washington 41-10 as junior running back Justin Green ran for a career-high 175 yards and tied a school record with four TD runs. Green leads the team in rushing with 955 yards heading into today's game.

"The A squad game is our defensive line versus their offensive line," Kramer said. "If I'm a fan, when our defense is on the field I'm paying attention. Because that's hammer vs. tong. Wow. The sound of it...the fury of it... I can't wait to see it. I might get a 15-yard penalty for being on the field because I want to be as close to it as possible.

"It's what you live for," Kramer added. "It's the best against the best."

But just because Hauk has concentrated on the rushing game doesn't mean the Griz can't throw it. Led by junior transfer quarterback Craig Ochs, who has filled the airways for 1,365 yards and 10 touchdown in just six starts this season.

The Grizzlies also have a potent weapon in returner Levander Segars who holds the Big Sky record for career punt return yards (1,219).

"They are very hot offensively, and gathering momentum all the time, "Kramer said.

The MSU offense has been solid at times this year but has struggled at others.

Lulay has established himself as one of the top quarterbacks in school history. Lulay, who has started 19 straight games, is currently third in the school record books for passing yards(4,377), fifth in touchdown passes (25) and third in completions.

He is also the first true freshman Bobcat QB to defeat Montana since Dave Alt in 1956 as he led the 'Cats to 10-7 win last year in Missoula that broke a 16-year victory drought versus the Griz.

"Offensively, the key is consistency," Lulay said. "We have to limit our three-and-outs and take advantage of any turnovers the defense gives us."

The 'Cats running game has been paced by senior Bruce Molock who has rushed for 807 yards and 10 TDs while backup David Mayfield has accounted for 345 yards on the ground and three scores.

Molock suffered a shoulder injury in last Saturday's 25-14 win over Portland State and is probable for today's game.

"Bruce hurt his shoulder at the end of the third quarter (at Portland State) and did not play in the fourth quarter, but is expected to play today,"Kramer said.

The receiving core is also hobbled as leading pass catcher Scott Turnquist (50 catches for 648 yards, six TDs) suffered a shoulder injury in the first half against EWU.

Turnquist ''caught one pass (against PSU) and he was too sore to go,'' Kramer said. ''We had an option to put him back in the ball game, but we decided we could win the game without him.''

Defense

It's on the defensive side of the ball where these two teams shine.

Currently Montana leads the Big Sky in rushing defense giving up only 86.2 yards a contest while for the third year in a row Montana State paces the rest of the conference in total defense (274.2 ypg), pass defense (166.8 ypg.) and scoring defense (14.5 ppg.).

The Griz defense is on a roll not allowing an offensive touchdown over the last nine quarters. Montana held high-scoring EWU to just a field goal last week and gave up only 168 total yards to the Eagles.

Montana is led by senior defensive end Tim Bush who has registered 9.5 sacks this season, linebacker Brent Meyers, who has averaged 6.7 tackles per game and safety Dave DeCoite who has 74 tackles and two fumble recoveries in 11 games.

Strong safety Kane Ioane, from Billings, continues to pace MSU, as the senior leads the team in tackles (116), solo tackles (50) and is tied with Clive Lowe and Joey Thomas for the team lead in interceptions with two.

Junior linebacker Roger Cooper has a team-high 13 tackles for loss this year.

They're playing good defense," Hauck said. "It will be a real challenge for our offense to move the ball against them."

Special teams

With the weather forecast to be in the teens and snowy today's game could come down to special teams and both teams been spectaculer this season with Montana pacing the league in punting (37.2 net average), kickoff returns (30.0 avg.) and kicking while senior Chris Snyder has made 19-22 field goals with a long of 54.

MSU counters with record setting Corey Smith who has returned five kicks (four punts, one kickoff) for touchdowns this year and leads the conference in kickoff returns (32.7).

Smith owns the Big Sky's career (five) and season (four) records for touchdown punt returns.

"Turnovers will be the key to this game," Kramer added. "Nothing else will matter. Field position and and scoring opportunities will center on the turnover situation."

GeauxGriz said:
"Bruce hurt his shoulder at the end of the third quarter (at Portland State) and did not play in the fourth quarter, but is expected to play today,"Kramer said.

That's great caoch......but will he be able to play in Tomorrow's game????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thats funny stuff....though keep in mind a local journalist called Lulay a junior qb, and i thought he was just a soph. hmmm.

I didn't see this article in the print edition of today's Comical so maybe the webmasters for them are as bad as the rest and posted this a day early. God I wish we could get a paper here with some decent coverage...hell, the missoulian has had better coverage of the Cats than the Comical has.

This season was eerily similar to last year when after a poor start Montana State rallied in the second half of the season to put themselves in a position to make the Division I-AA playoffs.

Huh! Last season the Griz were reeling and coming off a davastating loss to EWU. This year we are on a roll.

"We don't see the importance in the 'game' or the pageantry surrounding it.

What did he say?!

Who stands in who's way? He's a little confused here.

I might get a 15-yard penalty for being on the field because I want to be as close to it as possible.

I'd like to see at least a couple on him.

"Turnovers will be the key to this game," Kramer added. "Nothing else will matter. Field position and and scoring opportunities will center on the turnover situation."

He could be partially right here. He knows the only prayer they have is a +4 turnover margin in their favor. Here's another key, can they stop our running game? Here's another key, they better have great kick coverage. Here's another key, can they move the ball against our stingy defense?

ronbo said:

Who stands in who's way? He's a little confused here.

Very good point Ronbo.

PS- I'm glad to see that you took a long enough break from your obsession with where we will be seeded to make a post on the Pussy game THIS weekend. :wink:

Back